No votes
Dennis Rodman
5%
Tim Duncan
No votes

Total votes : 20

Re: All time Best NBA Player

Postby PainDog » Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 pm

The trend of shooting threes and driving to the paint has come to be seen as the most efficient form of basketball.

https://sports.vice.com/en_au/article/p ... -jump-shot

This is something that if we take basketball as a sport in its entirety of years played, considering the the evolution of rules, I would reject...in the a purely modern context it could be true.

Historically defenders were allowed to be much more physical than they are now

The lack of physicality on defense has, in my opinion, made both the offense and defense lazy. Often players both defenders and on offense are just standing around outside of the three point line. This can create openings for players to drive to the basket.

That sets up the modern mid-range free version of basketball.

Moving without the ball, was in my opinion...will try and gather evidence, a much more important part of the game when defenders could be more physical. You had to try and literally move away from someone trying to grab ahold of you. Going to the paint was of course more difficult because defenders as in the video above mentioned camped out in the lane.

So a player needed to move very well without the ball to get open, and move very well with the ball to be able to create their own shots.

Michael Jordan was in my opinion the best player when the ball was in his hands and also moving without the ball

Moving without the ball is something that when I see LeBron play, he doesnt do very well

https://www.axs.com/nba-finals-breakdow ... atne-58163

To sum up my points, the defensive rules imposed in the early 2000s has created arguably a faster paced game of driving to the basket and shooting threes. It has allowed probably an overall better shooting percentage and a definite improvement in three point percentage.

It has also reduced the need to move without the ball as well as before and even to be able to create your own offense with such strong defensive pressure.

Michael Jordan was able to be an incredible offensive and defensive player, move well without the ball, was able to create his own shots, and did so going up against some of the most physical and best players of all time.

https://amenra.bandcamp.com

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Postby Mr Meow » Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm

bwawm wrote:
yoseph wrote:Admittedly there are a lot of badass ball players and legends on this list. The problem is there are only 3 guys that live up to the goat conversation. Jordan, kobe, and lebron. I always said jordan but his career was cut short. Kobe had some major accomplishments and carried teams the way brady does. Im not sure lebron is as good of a pure player as those two are, but his stats and overall career are launching him into 1st place of the goat talks. It blows my mind that he is the 6th person in nba history to hit the finals 8 times in a row :shock:

Stooooop it.

Kareem is 6X champ and 6X MVP....Lebron doesn't even compare -Kobe's accomplishments kiiiinda stacks up but 6 rings>5 rings and 6 MVP's >1 MVP's

EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:I would have liked to see a Charles Barkley.

Rolling with Sir Charles.. (even though the GOAT is Magic)

Wilt + Kareem + Russell - honourable mentions.

Magic never won a championship without Kareem but Kareem won one without Magic.

I agree with a lot of this. All of it basically

However for a bit of devils advocate for discussion sake

The one championship Kareem won (he might have been Lew Alcendar when he won it? idk) without Magic he had a p4p goat on his team. The Big O Oscar Robertson was a bit past his prime peak (when he was averaging 25+ points and over 10 assists and 9 rebounds a game) but he still had some great years left and proved so by helping lead Kareem (Lew?) to the championship and vice versa. Lew was the star but Robertson nearly averaged 20 per game that year and facilitated well with assists and rebounds too.

That bucks team also had Mckgloklin who was one of the best spot up shooters of the 70s, especially from 3 points land, and Bob Dandrige who was absurdly underrated and made 4 all star games and averaged over 20 most seasons in his own right during this time.

Kareem is for sure a goat though don't get me wrong. Those Bucks teams he played on his last 3 or 4 years there though were juicy with talent though.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
3rd Professional Linker Victory
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt

Postby robdogj » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Mr Meow wrote:I agree with a lot of this. All of it basically

The one championship Kareem won (he might have been Lew Alcendar when he won it? idk) without Magic he had a p4p goat on his team. The Big O Oscar Robertson was a bit past his prime peak (when he was averaging 25+ points and over 10 assists and 9 rebounds a game) but he still had some great years left and proved so by helping lead Kareem (Lew?) to the championship and vice versa. Lew was the star but Robertson nearly averaged 20 per game that year and facilitated well with assists and rebounds too.

That bucks team also had Mckgloklin who was one of the best spot up shooters of the 70s, especially from 3 points land, and Bob Dandrige who was absurdly underrated and made 4 all star games and averaged over 20 most seasons in his own right during this time.

Kareem is for sure a goat though don't get me wrong. Those Bucks teams he played on his last 3 or 4 years there though were juicy with talent though.

damn w/ Catman w/ the knowledge
I am in Gay Hell because I doubted Nate Diaz
robdogj
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby bwawm » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
bwawm wrote:
yoseph wrote:Admittedly there are a lot of badass ball players and legends on this list. The problem is there are only 3 guys that live up to the goat conversation. Jordan, kobe, and lebron. I always said jordan but his career was cut short. Kobe had some major accomplishments and carried teams the way brady does. Im not sure lebron is as good of a pure player as those two are, but his stats and overall career are launching him into 1st place of the goat talks. It blows my mind that he is the 6th person in nba history to hit the finals 8 times in a row :shock:

Stooooop it.

Kareem is 6X champ and 6X MVP....Lebron doesn't even compare -Kobe's accomplishments kiiiinda stacks up but 6 rings>5 rings and 6 MVP's >1 MVP's

EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:I would have liked to see a Charles Barkley.

Rolling with Sir Charles.. (even though the GOAT is Magic)

Wilt + Kareem + Russell - honourable mentions.

Magic never won a championship without Kareem but Kareem won one without Magic.

I agree with a lot of this. All of it basically

Shiiit, dunno how I missed this!

I don't think having a talented team should diminish personal accomplishments and I think Kareems personal accomplishments stand on their own.
Spoiler:
:shock:
6× NBA champion (1971, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988)
2× NBA Finals MVP (1971, 1985)
6× NBA Most Valuable Player (1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980)
19× NBA All-Star (1970–1977, 1979–1989)
10× All-NBA First Team (1971–1974, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1986)
5× All-NBA Second Team (1970, 1978, 1979, 1983, 1985)
5× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1974, 1975, 1979–1981)
6× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1970, 1971, 1976–1978, 1984)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1970)
2× NBA scoring champion (1971, 1972)
NBA rebounding champion (1976)
4× NBA blocks leader (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980)

Who didn't have a good team that is being discussed in this thread?

Lebron had two all stars and one of the greatest shooters of all time on his heat squad/great supporting cast in Cleveland. Jordan had Pippen (top 50 all time) and Dennis Rodman...Magic had Kareem, Kobe had Shaq and then a pretty solid supporting cast post departure.

Its a fun conversation because so many folks have legitimate claim to the title and the game changes so much but I think Kareem gets overlooked in favor of flashy folks that often aren't better in regards to personal accomplishments or team accomplishments.

Who is your pick?
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Magic won game 7, in his rookie year..while Jabbar was 'injured' . . .
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Survivor (as The Smurf)

Postby bwawm » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:56 pm

EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:Magic won game 7, in his rookie year..while Jabbar was 'injured' . . .

Game 6?

Def don't have anything bad to say about that game 6 performance by Magic-fucking mindboggling numbers for a rookie.

Having said that I will add two points:
1) Coaching changes impacted game 6 drastically
2) Jabbars numbers on the series were arguably better-he put up 40 in game 5 (11 after the injury), had some crucial late game blocks and scored the game winner over Irving....without Jabbar they don't win that series I don't think (as dope as fuck as Magic is/was).

Player GP GS MPG FG% 3FG% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 5 5 40.6 .549 .808 13.6 3.2 0.6 4.6 33.4
Magic Johnson 6 6 42.7 .573 .000 .875 11.2 8.7 2.7 0.3 21.5

4.3 more blocks, 12 more PPG, and a couple more rebounds> 2 more steals and 5.5 more assists imo

Magic is dope man-all love. Just think Jabbar has the better resume.
Last edited by bwawm on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby bwawm » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Also, are you suggesting Jabbar ...wasn't...injured?

Team docs didn't even let him travel with the team-pretty sure he was actually injured.

Unless you're using quotes in a way I'm not 'familiar' with...
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm

bwawm wrote:Also, are you suggesting Jabbar ...wasn't...injured?

Team docs didn't even let him travel with the team-pretty sure he was actually injured.

I can't know what happened. Reporters of the time were suggesting that Jabbar was milking the injury, so they could go to the 7th game(my bad b4). (betting allegations-like he was accused of betting against Lakers, on game 6)

and magic was the eventual MVP of the series..

In all fairness...I don't mind people ranking Jabbar higher than anyone. And he does have more individual accomplishments than Magic.
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Postby bwawm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:38 am

EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:
bwawm wrote:Also, are you suggesting Jabbar ...wasn't...injured?

I can't know what happened. Reporters of the time were suggesting that Jabbar was milking the injury, so they could go to the 7th game(my bad b4). (betting allegations-like he was accused of betting against Lakers, on game 6)

and magic was the eventual MVP of the series..

In all fairness...I don't mind people ranking Jabbar higher than anyone. And he does have more individual accomplishments than Magic.

:shock: no way?

Fuck man, I didn't know that-did he ever get charged for gambling at any point?

Also to be fair....does Jabbar win all those rings without Magic? Probly not imo but its fun to see how folks approach this discussion. Honestly I take Kareem partly just to be devils advocate and because its insane how often he is left unmentioned in the 'best of all time' talks (probably due to his somewhat boring playstyle) but also because I think he's right up there with the most unstoppable players. Boring as it was that skyhook was filthy..

I don't blame anyone for picking magic/MJ/Lebron...really anyone. Some of the most dominant guys in the history of the game never won a ring, some folks played in weaker era's or on weaker teams.

Also, props to you for mentioning Chuck in this thread. I think you mentioned wilt as well and I think its a shame that folks that didn't win rings are so casually disregarded from the greatest ever conversation.
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby bwawm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:27 pm

If this thread was gif only I think it would be a very different thread :biggrin:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

v.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

tough call
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 pm

gifs are always better... It's a very - very tough call, indeed. I'll tell you that, though. Neither Magic,Jabbar, Jordan, Kobe,or Charles and Malone(karl) for that matter, at the age of 34-35, wouldn't manage to reach the fucking playoffs with ther respectfull teams. That is riddiculous..

talking about Lebron and how much he cares about his numbers or winning
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion