Close
Login
Register

Official Religion Thread

Anything not MMA related goes here

Re: Official Religion Thread

Postby PainDog » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:58 am

Legionarivs wrote:What's the branch of islam Nurmagomedov is into? Sufi or Salafi? Chechnya and Dagestan gets cracked down on salafists as they form a threat to the Russia, so I doubt there's much info available if he was a salafist. Hopeful anyone can give me a good answer. No jokes please, this is the religious section and religious people might get offended by your laughter.

This is a bit of a complicated question.

Historically the majority of the populations in the North Caucasus were Sufi. However, even just saying Sufi is a bit too broad because there are many schools of Sufism, and I am not sure which was the major school in the region.

Unfortunately as Saudi Arabia has risen in power Wahabism has started to replace Sufism in many regions including the Caucuses but also places like Bosnia and Algeria.

https://jamestown.org/program/is-sufi-i ... agestan-2/

I would say Khabib is likely just a Hanbali Sunni Muslim with certain leanings towards Sufism.

Munir Lazzez Time

Damir Ismagulov Time

Khamzat Chimaev

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017, Aug 2020

Postby DeceptaCon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:53 pm

PainDog wrote:
Legionarivs wrote:What's the branch of islam Nurmagomedov is into? Sufi or Salafi? Chechnya and Dagestan gets cracked down on salafists as they form a threat to the Russia, so I doubt there's much info available if he was a salafist. Hopeful anyone can give me a good answer. No jokes please, this is the religious section and religious people might get offended by your laughter.

Historically the majority of the populations in the North Caucasus were Sufi. However, even just saying Sufi is a bit too broad because there are many schools of Sufism, and I am not sure which was the major school in the region.

Unfortunately as Saudi Arabia has risen in power Wahabism has started to replace Sufism in many regions including the Caucuses but also places like Bosnia and Algeria.

I would say Khabib is likely just a Hanbali Sunni Muslim with certain leanings towards Sufism.

You know what they say if you aren't Muslim then you ain't Shiite :smile:
Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Postby Legionarivs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:45 am

PainDog wrote:

Interesting, thank you.
Legionarivs
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby bwawm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:40 pm

DeceptaCon wrote:
PainDog wrote:

You know what they say if you aren't Muslim then you ain't Shiite :smile:

:gold: :gold: :lol:
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion