Close
Login
Register

General Facts on Protein Consumption

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Re: General Facts on Protein Consumption

Postby KC Masterpiece » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Random find.

MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby timbercutter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:36 pm

discoowl wrote:
red_donn wrote:
I should point out that the correlation between soy or other low-meat cultures and long life span tends to have a great flaw. In the majority of these studies, this correlation is taken to imply causation, while omitting a very obvious factor. You see, all of my surviving grandparents (the youngest of whom is 85) share the general traits one sees in regions with high numbers of exceedingly elderly people - not an aversion to red meat (two Irish grandparents - red meat's going to be in the diet) but rather they are active and are great ones for moderation. Moderation seems to be a large focus in areas with low meat diets, and vegetarians in general are forced to maintain a greater watch over their diets which tends, in my experience, to lead to improved moderation.

I've got no problem with non-athletes eating soy regularly (it's way low down on the list of things that most people should be cutting back on) but I tend to fundamentally disagree with the assumed correlation between red meat and shorter lifespans implying certain health benefits to vegetarians. I think it is better to look at what cultures that consume lots of red meat do wrong in other areas.

you're right about correlation not meaning causation however using your own single case 'anecdotal' example is far more flawed, when you have many large global scale epidemiology studies, with huge sample sizes all saying similar things, perhaps one needs to start paying attention. It may be that what the red meat is cooked in, how it is cooked, what it is eaten with etc might be more related to this increase in all cause mortality. Despite this, many of these studies controlled for the obvious confounding variables i.e. alcohol, cigarette, obesity etc. Moreover, I agree that your moderation hypothesis should definitely be considered a key for longevity. Pythagoras (amongst others) hypothesised a 'golden mean' many moons ago and there is definitely something to this.

However, in one recent study the lead researchers stated that: “Those in the study who ate the most red meat took in about 4.5 ounces a day - the equivalent of a small steak. ‘We found the consumption of red and processed meat is associated with a modest increase in overall mortality, as well as cancer and cardiovascular mortality in both men and women,’
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090323 ... death-risk

A small steak a day hardly constitutes a lot of red meat in western diet. One might even frame such a quantity as a small amount of red meat.

Perhaps eating red meat in and on itself is not the greatest source of dietary protein due to the adverse affects it seemingly produces.

IMO..the greatest source of dietary protein is Dairy (whey) and flesh...red meat.......makes sense, eggs and lactation have every critical component of protein as does the actual flesh and muscle of human prey.....I am still analyizing aquatic protein.......
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby Albern » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:02 am

Smith wrote:There's more questions floating around here regarding protein consumption than any other questions. So I'll put down a few basic facts about protein that you all might find helpful. If anyone has any factual information to add to this, post it and I'll include it to the topic.

Q: How much protein do I need to consume if I lift and train very hard?

A: The old standard is usually to consume a maximum of 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body weight. Yes, I said kilogram, NOT pounds. This is a common misconception. To find out how many grams of protein you need per pound you weigh, you must take your lean body weight and divide it by 2.2 then multiply it by 1.5. So, if you weigh 150 lean pounds you must consume 102.25 grams of protein per day. (150/2.2 = 68.18 x 1.5 = 102.25)

Q: What types of protein are best to consume?

A: The three main types of protein that most athletes prefer to consume are whey isolate, egg protein, and casein isolate.

Q: So what's the difference and what does each one do specifically?

A: Best question you've asked so far chief...

Whey protein isolate:
-Helps boost the immune system
-Whey proteins will absorb 80 to 90% into your body and isolate proteins can absorb 90 to 99%-specific mixes of protein can offer over 100% absorption.
-Enhance his muscle recovery and prevents muscle breakdown
-Absorbs very quickly in the body, usually less than 30 minutes per 50 g
-Easy to flavor
-Best source of amino acids next a cooked eggs
This is the most preferred post workout protein to consume because once you stop exercising your muscles have a 30 minute window where they benefit the most from (and absorb the most) protein. Since whey protein is digested the fastest and nearly 100% of it is able to be absorbed by the body, it is the most ideal for a post workout protein source.

Casein protein isolate:
-Useful for nighttime meal to prevent long-term hunger
-Casein protein will usually offer 50 to 80% absorption, more if you are resting
Casein isolate is great to consume throughout the duration of your day. It takes a longer time to break down than whey protein so it isn't consumed by your body so quickly and wasted if your body does not need protein at that certain point in the day. A slow release protein like this means your body will be processing protein all day if you consume it properly throughout the day, where as a whey protein isolate would be broken down and wasted.

Egg protein:
-Contains 100% of essential amino acids
-100% of protein absorbed by the body
-Breaks down slower than whey so like casein it is good to consume throughout the course of your day leading up to your training/workout.

Protein value is measured by the amount that is able to be consumed/absorbed by the body. As stated above, egg, soy, and whey proteins scores 100%. Casein only scores 50 to 80% but as I explained is a great protein source. All proteins are measured based off of egg protein, as it is the "perfect" protein.

Q: What's the deal, why haven't you listed any of the benefits soy protein provides?

A: Yes, as I stated 100% of soy protein is able to be absorbed by the body. But, the reason I don't provide any facts about it is that soy is so detrimental to an athletes body that it warrants it's own Q and A. To put it simply, one serving of soy has about the same amount of estrogen in it as a birth control pill. Athletes need to have high levels of testosterone in the their body and estrogen counteracts those levels. Basically, estrogen is the enemy when it comes to muscle growth and recovery. Soy has some wonderful benefits to it such as lowering cholesterol though. But, a healthy, young athlete as many of you all are aspiring to be should not have cholesterol problems, so do yourself a favor and stay away from the soy, mmk?

Q: Any suggestions on how to consume protein and what foods are good protein sources?

A: Eating about 5-6 small meals throughout the course of one's day is probably the best way to load up on protein while being able to process all of it. Eating 100g of protein at once is a waste. Eating 10-20g here, 10-20g there and so on is a good way to slowly process protein. As I said before, a whey isolate protein shake after your workout is the best thing you can do for yourself. The average person can process no more than 40g of protein every two hours or so, so most sources suggest consuming 40g of whey protein isolate immediately after you lift. This number could be too high for smaller people. Casein protein before a workout is very beneficial. MuscleMilk claims to be the best thing you can consume before a workout. 50% of it is whey protein (for that quick protein absorption) and 50% is casein protein (for that slower absorption). So basically your body gets an immediate source of protein and then some protein to break down at a slower pace to help give your muscles a protein source while you lift. MuscleMilk also claims to provide the majority of the daily amino acids one needs.

Personally, I like to eat a lot of fish and chicken throughout the course of the day. I eat protein with every small meal I consume along with a healthy source of carbs like vegetables. If you want to know how much protein you're getting per serving and other foods high in protein just type "high protein foods" into google and you'll be given a wealth of knowledge.

Q: Is consuming too much protein a bad thing?

A: Yes, it can be. Some studies are linking too high of protein intake to cancer and research has shown that it can add stress to your body's organs causing breathing problems. This is shown mostly in diets that are almost all protein, low in calories, and low in carbs. Yes, for the love of God, your body needs carbs, fats, and calories to perform properly, even if you're trying to lose weight. A decent guideline is to have your meals have a balance of about 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat if you're an athlete. You'll hear different numbers from different sources though.

Q: So do I owe you anything for taking the time to compile this wonderful knowledge for me?

A: Just your never ending loyalty and gratitude. :wink:

Hey buddy,
That's the nice one post and also good one effort to acknowledge the community of the forum by Q & A method... I think that every one should pay attention on the protein and the foods that have eaten.... Thanks buddy for your post and good and intelligent effort for letting every one knowing about this kind of the knowledge.....
Albern
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Acepitbull » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm hoping Smith or someone knowledgeable can help me to answer my question.

Smith wrote:

"Casein protein isolate:
-Useful for nighttime meal to prevent long-term hunger
-Casein protein will usually offer 50 to 80% absorption, more if you are resting
Casein isolate is great to consume throughout the duration of your day. It takes a longer time to break down than whey protein so it isn't consumed by your body so quickly and wasted if your body does not need protein at that certain point in the day. A slow release protein like this means your body will be processing protein all day if you consume it properly throughout the day, where as a whey protein isolate would be broken down and wasted."

I know Smith said it is great to consume throughout the day but....... my question is when is the BEST time for me to have a casein shake? I usually workout first thing in the morning (sometimes on an empty stomach). I'm following Bill Starr's 5X5 plan with a few modifications. My routine is to have some Xtend before and during my workout, then I have a whey protein shake after. Then, a little later I have a small meal. I'm trying to cut body fat and build muscle. Any suggestions???????????
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.-Mark Twain

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.- Confucius
Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:38 pm

At night.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby discoowl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm

yeah Casein is for those freaks who can't bear the thought they they may be catabolic at night and therefore lose sleep...Casein is also associated with an increased cancer risk as opposed to whey which actually contains loads of immunoglobulin
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Charlie30 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:43 am

14 Fun Facts You Didn’t Know About Protein

1. It's basic to all life

Protein exists in all of the trillions of cells in the human body. Without it, no life could exist. Roughly 18-20% of the body is protein.

2. Greek inceptions

The word 'protein' is Greek and it originates from the word 'proteios' which signifies 'essential' or 'first position'. The word protein has been utilized since 1883.

3. You couldn't develop or recuperate without it

Proteins are basic to the human body, and are in charge of numerous procedures, for example, developing, recuperating, shaping cell structure, conveying oxygen, ensuring against infection, developing hair and nails, permitting vision, giving vitality and the sky is the limit from there.

4. They have a short life expectancy

There are around 100,000 unique kinds of protein in the human body. The life expectancy of most proteins sums two days or less.

5. We would swell up without it

Without a protein called Albumin, the whole human body would swell.

6. Cheesy protein

The cheddar with the most astounding measure of protein is low-sodium parmesan, with 41.6 grams of protein per 100g.

What's superior to a $5 coupon code for your wholesome needs? A $10 coupon!

Join underneath and get $10 off your first buy.

7. Fishy business

The fish that is most elevated in protein is Yellowfin Tuna, with 30 grams of protein for every 100 grams, trailed by anchovies, salmon, halibut and snapper.

8. It keeps us feeling full

Protein helps make a supper additionally satisfying which, thusly, enables individuals to keep up a solid weight.

9. Not all proteins are processed similarly

Since creature proteins are more like our proteins than are plant proteins, they are utilized all the more promptly and quickly. As such, our bodies can utilize creature proteins somewhat superior to anything plant-based proteins.

10. Gluten is a protein

Gluten is a protein found in wheat and different grains. At the point when individuals have an unfavorably susceptible response to nourishment, for example, gluten, this is on the grounds that the structure of the protein itself triggers the response.

11. Human hair is protein

Hair is comprised of a protein called keratin, which frames a helical shape. This protein has sulfur bonds, and the more sulfur joins it has, the curlier an individual's hair will be.

12. Little nation, enormous hunger

One of the littlest nations on the planet, Luxemburg, is per capita the greatest meat eater. Luxembourgers eat by and large around 300 pounds of meat yearly per individual.

13. The chicken or the egg?

Researchers reasoned that the chicken preceded the egg. This is on the grounds that the protein which influences their eggshells to must be created by hens.

14. There's a pokemon protein

There is a protein called Pikachurin which was named after the Pokemon, Pikachu. There is likewise a protein called Sonic Hedgehog, named after Sonic the Hedgehog.
Charlie30
White Belt
White Belt

Previous

Return to Nutrition