Close
Login
Register

Murderers' Row (boxing)

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Re: Murderers' Row (boxing)

Postby The Smurf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Although this man is not a part of this Legendary crew, I'd like to take the time to post a video and a couple of facts for this dude. I will do it as soon as I remember who that boxer is. He fought at the late 50s to mid 70s if im not mistaken and he was Italian. :?:

A defensive wizard who could and would make Roy Jones or Mayweather's defensive skills look like nothing really special.

It's all coming back to me now.. Kind of a small weight class ' 135-155' and his record was almost perfect. 100+wins - 3-4 losses.

Nicolino Locche --->>(September 2, 1939 – September 7, 2005)

Spoiler:
one of the few boxers who smoked

Born in Argentina actually cause he wasnt fucking Italian. .. He debuted at the age of 9, and his amateur record was 117-5. Locche turned professional at the age of 19 and amassed a record of 117-4-14 (14 KOs). Therefore, holding an overall record of 234-9-14. He became the Lineal and WBA Light Welterweight Champion in Tokyo, Japan on December 12, 1968, after defeating Paul Takeshi Fuji by technical knockout after Fuji refused to start the 10th round out of frustration because of exhaustion and his inability to connect punches on "The Untouchable," according to the Argentine boxing commentators' recount of the bout (Dotora, 2004)

117 WIns - 4 Losses - 14 Draws

Having a barely 10% finishing rate with14 Ko wins and just 1 ko loss.

Enough with words. Check below for the moving images.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Pernell Whitaker coming up soon
The Smurf

Postby Mr Meow » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Locche was a beast. Not a guy who will be remembered because of his style but he deserves to be remembered.

Use to puff on a cigarette between rounds, never had a strict diet he adhered to in any way, I love watching old tapes of the dude.

I did not know about his amateur career frag that is quite interesting. Dude was a beast at every level

Making a challenger (Takeshi Fuji) quit on the stool during a title fight because of the frustration of not being able to hit locche is insane.

Good shit Frag keep it coming. I always am down to read and discuss old school boxing more.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Accolades: Nov. 2015, Dec. 2015, Jan. 2016, April 2016, May 2016, Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Feb. 2018 MMALinker B-League Champion, Nov. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, 2016 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor (x2)

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:32 pm

great shiz ^^^^

''Double wrist lock,to an americana, switched to kimura,turned to figure 4,transitioning to an armbar.
while attemting an Ude-garami, & a keylock.. opponent escapes so switch to Gyaku ude-garami and a reverse keylock and get that: 'bent armlock',like a V1 armlock,a chicken wing,a some sort of paintbrush submission attempt or hammerlock or a twisting hammerlock and you win by reverse arm entanglement
''

https://notouchbutt.blogspot.gr/
EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:48 pm

''Double wrist lock,to an americana, switched to kimura,turned to figure 4,transitioning to an armbar.
while attemting an Ude-garami, & a keylock.. opponent escapes so switch to Gyaku ude-garami and a reverse keylock and get that: 'bent armlock',like a V1 armlock,a chicken wing,a some sort of paintbrush submission attempt or hammerlock or a twisting hammerlock and you win by reverse arm entanglement
''

EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:15 pm

EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:

Johnson had no children.
:|

''

EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Marquess of Queensberry Rules

From wiki:

'The Marquess of Queensberry rules is a code of generally accepted rules in the sport of boxing. Drafted in London in 1865 and published in 1867, they were named so as John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry publicly endorsed the code,although they were written by a Welsh sportsman named John Graham Chambers. The code of rules on which modern boxing is based, the Queensberry rules were the first to mandate boxing gloves in boxing.

The Queensberry rules superseded the Revised London Prize Ring rules (1853), and are intended for use in both professional and amateur boxing matches, thus separating it from the less popular American Fair Play Rules, which were strictly intended for amateur matches. In popular culture the term is sometimes used to refer to a sense of sportsmanship and fair play.'

Official rules

To be a fair stand-up boxing match in a 24-foot ring, or as near that size as practicable.
No wrestling or hugging allowed.
The rounds to be of three minutes' duration, and one minute's time between rounds.
If either man falls through weakness or otherwise, he must get up unassisted, 10 seconds to be allowed him to do so, the other man meanwhile to return to his corner, and when the fallen man is on his legs the round is to be resumed and continued until the three minutes have expired. If one man fails to come to the scratch in the 10 seconds allowed, it shall be in the power of the referee to give his award in favour of the other man.
A man hanging on the ropes in a helpless state, with his toes off the ground, shall be considered down.
No seconds or any other person to be allowed in the ring during the rounds.
Should the contest be stopped by any unavoidable interference, the referee to name the time and place as soon as possible for finishing the contest; so that the match must be won and lost, unless the backers of both men agree to draw the stakes.
The gloves to be fair-sized boxing gloves of the best quality and new.
Should a glove burst, or come off, it must be replaced to the referee's satisfaction.
A man on one knee is considered down and if struck is entitled to the stakes.
That no shoes or boots with spikes or springs be allowed.
The contest in all other respects to be governed by revised London Prize Ring Rules.

John L. Sullivan vs Dominick McCaffrey

In the 6th round, after the champion tackled the challenger to the floor, referee Billy Tate stopped the fight to save McAffrey from further punishment and declared Sullivan the winner. Both fighters subsequently agreed to fight a 7th, unofficial round without a referee present. Sullivan is named the 1st Heavyweight Champion under the Marquess of Queensberry Rules after this victory.

40-0-2
United States Jake Kilrain KO 75 (80) 08/07/1889 United States Richburg, Mississippi, United States

Last world title bout under the London Prize Ring Rules. (retired undefeated in 1889. Came back or retirement to fight James J. Corbett, in 1892, 3 years and 2 months after his last title defence. Corbett made Sullivan chase him, thus tiring him. Sullivan was a dead man walking for the most part, after the first 5 rounds.. In the 21st round, Corbett connected with a big left hand and it was all over.That marked the first and last time that John L. Sullivan ever lost.(retired after this bout)

That bout was not a bare knuckle fight, subsequently having no interference with Sullivan's 'Bare knuckle Lineal Boxing Championship 'belt'', which, he took with him in the after life.

40-0-2 34KOs (though many sources disagree on his exact record)

At the 'twilight' of his relatively brief span of life, he could best be described from my friend, wiki, as its presented below:

'Overweight and unhealthy from a long life of overindulging in food and drinks as well as from the effects from prizefighting, Sullivan died at age 59 and is buried in the Old Calvary Cemetery in Roslindale, a neighborhood of Boston. He died with barely 10 dollars in his pocket.

Sullivan was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1990, as a member of the hall's original class. .. . ..........'

The barn where Sullivan trained still stands in the small town of Belfast, New York and is now the Bare Knuckle Boxing Hall of Fame.

''

EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:17 pm

''

EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Tony Galento - nice facts about the him and his fight with Louis - str8 from wikipedia

This dude did it all.. from boxing to professional wrestling - to acting, to fighting a fucking bear!

Galento, who claimed to be 5'9 (177 cm) tall, liked to weigh in at about 235 lb (107 kg) for his matches. He achieved this level of fitness by eating whatever, whenever he wanted. A typical meal for Galento consisted of six chickens, a side of spaghetti, all washed down with a half gallon of red wine, or beer, or both at one sitting. When he did go to training camp, he foiled his trainer's attempts to modify his diet, and terrorized his sparring partners by eating their meals in addition to his.

He was reputed to train on beer, and allegedly ate 52 hot dogs on a bet before facing heavyweight Arthur DeKuh. Galento was supposedly so bloated before the fight that the waist line of his trunks had to be slit for him to fit into them. Galento claimed that he was sluggish from the effects of eating all those hot dogs, and that he could not move for three rounds. Nevertheless, Galento knocked out the 6'3" (192 cm) DeKuh with one punch, a left hook, in the fourth round.

He also predicted that he would "moida da bum", and would telephone Louis daily to personally inform him that he was a bum and that Galento would "moida him"—this colorful version of early tubthumping, seems in retrospect, to be Galento's standard manner of presentation (LOOK Magazine, March 14, 1939; Vol. 3, No. 6). Louis later said "He called me everything." Though known as a splendid self-promoter, Tony had the significant help of "Uncle" Mike Jacobs to sell the fight via ballyhoo, alone. Jacobs frequently posed Galento for photo ops and new stories, with beer bottles, steins and kegs; an openly clowning shot, had Tony drinking from a milk bottle, with Jacobs trying to grab it away. Long before George Foreman as a cheeseburger eating contender, Tony Galento captured fans' imaginations as a challenger who trained on beer. It would seem almost necessary that, in order to show he was serious and properly prepared for the Louis fight, Galento stated that he had not taken alcohol for two days before the bout.

The two fought in Yankee Stadium in New York City. The short, balding Galento stunned the crowd, and his opponent, by staggering and hurting Louis with a powerful left hook in the first round. In the second round, Louis began hitting Galento with vicious combinations, opened a cut in Galento's mouth and floored the challenger with a powerful left hook that actually lifted Galento off his feet. This was the first time Galento had ever been knocked down in his professional career. In the third round, Louis was again hitting Galento with combinations when Galento caught him with a wild left hook; this time Louis went down. Louis, however, got up quickly, but took no chances for the remainder of the round. The fourth round was brutal for Galento, who had no defense and was wide open for Louis' assault. Louis hit him with murderous combinations which forced the referee to finally stop the bout.

After the fight, Galento was unconsolable. Whitey Bimstein, acting cut man: "...he is sitting there with blood pouring from his eyes, his nose and his cheek. He won't let me touch the cuts. He won't let me take off his gloves He pushes me away every time I try to do something for him, and bellows, 'You guys wouldn't let me fight my own fight. I'd've knocked that mug cold.'" Galento contended throughout life, that his trainers convinced him to change styles, and to fight cleanly; he regretted he did not fight "his" fight and foul Louis. Only a year after the Louis fight, Bimstein offered a different perspective, asserting the bob and weave Tony adopted in the first two rounds was working, citing the knockdown of Louis in the second frame as proof. "Then (Galento) thought he was John L. Sullivan, and came up straight to slug," said Bimstein, "and you just can't do that with Louis."

Joe Louis and Tony Galento appeared together on The Way It Was, a sports nostalgia program (PBS), on January 29, 1976. The episode was lively, due almost exclusively to Galento's still-direct and colorful style of engagement. Louis showed a surprising side of himself when, after fending off a question by veteran fight commentator Don Dunphy, regarding any ill feeling vs. Max Schmeling (Louis stating he and Schmeling had not truly been adversaries but indeed "good friends"), he then pointed at Galento and stated, "But that little fellow...he really got me mad. All those mean things he said about me while training for our fight. He got me mad, all right." Louis furthered this statement by revealing that his anger by fight time was such that he had decided to "carry" Galento, i.e. to drag the fight out in order to "punish him for those nasty things". After suffering the knockdown, however, Louis changed his mind: "[Galento] hit too hard. So I knocked him out as quickly as I could.

Galento retired from boxing in 1943, and applied his talents to the world of professional wrestling. He also turned to acting, and was given roles in Wind Across The Everglades (1958), The Best Things in Life Are Free (1956), Guys and Dolls (1955) and On the Waterfront (1954)
Last edited by EvilGorilla69+1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

''

EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Mr Meow wrote:Locche was a beast. Not a guy who will be remembered because of his style but he deserves to be remembered.

Use to puff on a cigarette between rounds, never had a strict diet he adhered to in any way, I love watching old tapes of the dude.

I did not know about his amateur career frag that is quite interesting. Dude was a beast at every level

Making a challenger (Takeshi Fuji) quit on the stool during a title fight because of the frustration of not being able to hit locche is insane.

Good shit Frag keep it coming. I always am down to read and discuss old school boxing more.

thanks dude.I don't know why I never replied. Puurhaps I never saw it.

I was looking at some dude's record now and I saw that he even fought a real bear at some time. Tony Galento. I can't find the fight with the bear.

Reporter: "Tony, what do you think your chances are against Joe Louis?"
Galento: "Joe who?"
Reporter: "Joe Louis."
Galento: "I never hoid of da bum."

i bet he used to fight roos, in his youth. A pretty stocky dude with a cool nickname : 2tone Tony. (two ton)

80 wins - 57 KOs
26 losses

^^
How fucking great boxing used to be? look at these different styles colliding. Both determined to win. both trying to stop their opponent.

Spoiler:

''

EvilGorilla69+1
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.