Close
Login
Register

The Official Political Thread.

Anything not MMA related goes here

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:00 am

GOP Quick To Point Out That Michael Cohen Was Merely RNC’s Deputy Finance Chairman


WASHINGTON—Explaining the position was essentially a minor role, the GOP quickly pointed out Wednesday that Michael Cohen was merely the Republican National Committee’s deputy finance chairman. “Look, at the end of the day, all Michael Cohen did was help oversee the finances for one of the two major American political parties in a leading capacity,” said RNC chair Ronna Romney McDaniel, adding that the president’s lawyer, who was under investigation for $20 million in bank fraud, was only the second most powerful person when it came to determining the nationwide organization’s budget and long-term financial goals. “Seriously, he wasn’t in charge of all of the money; there were at least two or three people above him. People are acting like Cohen was this super important figure, but when you look at it, he just worked in a top position for a political group representing over 60 million Americans.” The GOP was also quick to point out that Paul Manafort, who was found guilty of eight counts of financial crimes, only served as the campaign manager for the current United States president, performing minor tasks such as handpicking Mike Pence as Donald Trump’s running mate.


:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

Image
User avatar
bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 19211
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 pm
Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby drewannrez » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:41 am

We don’t have a gun problem, we have a people problem.
drewannrez
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:52 am

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby MurderfaceMMA » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:24 pm

bruins2012 wrote:Hey Murder.........


"U.S. intelligence agencies have found that North Korea is building new missiles, based on satellite photographs taken in recent weeks and other new evidence, The Washington Post reported Monday. Just weeks after a high-stakes summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang appears to be developing at least one or two liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles, the Post said, citing officials familiar with the intelligence. The factory outside Pyongyang in Sanumdong where the work is underway produced the North's first ICBMs capable of reaching the United States.

Following the Singapore summit in June, Mr. Trump had declared that Pyongyang was "no longer a Nuclear Threat," and touted his own diplomatic achievements.



:lol:

Yep, but Trump isnt a cuck like Obama. He just cancelled a scheduled meeting with NK and now they have to wait until the US and China work things out. In the meantime, the sanctions can continue to cripple his regime. Things are going to start getting real tough for NK the closer we get to the 2020 election. If progress isnt made by then, i imagine Trump is going to bring down the hammer, but they can just suffer with their crippling sanctions for now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/trump-c ... ation.html
Image
User avatar
MurderfaceMMA
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6662
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby willmma » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:43 pm

drewannrez wrote:We don’t have a gun problem, we have a people problem.


Let's meet in the middle. The US has a gun problem AND a people problem.


Welcome to linker.
User avatar
willmma
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6661
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Go Leafs!
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2016, Jan 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: Dec 2016, Nov 2017
Pick-Em Champion: Sep 2019, Nov 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby willmma » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:50 pm

MurderfaceMMA wrote:
bruins2012 wrote:Hey Murder.........


"U.S. intelligence agencies have found that North Korea is building new missiles, based on satellite photographs taken in recent weeks and other new evidence, The Washington Post reported Monday. Just weeks after a high-stakes summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang appears to be developing at least one or two liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles, the Post said, citing officials familiar with the intelligence. The factory outside Pyongyang in Sanumdong where the work is underway produced the North's first ICBMs capable of reaching the United States.

Following the Singapore summit in June, Mr. Trump had declared that Pyongyang was "no longer a Nuclear Threat," and touted his own diplomatic achievements.



:lol:

Yep, but Trump isnt a cuck like Obama. He just cancelled a scheduled meeting with NK and now they have to wait until the US and China work things out. In the meantime, the sanctions can continue to cripple his regime. Things are going to start getting real tough for NK the closer we get to the 2020 election. If progress isnt made by then, i imagine Trump is going to bring down the hammer, but they can just suffer with their crippling sanctions for now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/trump-c ... ation.html



Obama negotiated a multinational deal that saw Iran give up 98% of it's uranium.
End enrichment at levels above 5% and limit enrichment at lower levels
Set up the most stringent monitoring system in history according to the IAEA
Pretty much ending any chance for Iran to build a weapon.
And scared Iran into full compliance.


Trump, instead of isolating Kim and negotiating a similar deal with him, he went and treated him like royalty. Big hoopla about the mano-a-mano meeting between the two leaders. Kim got a free vacation to Singapore out of it and then walked away. And Trump derailed all that was achieved with Iran.

What a cuck Obama is :roll:
User avatar
willmma
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6661
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Go Leafs!
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2016, Jan 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: Dec 2016, Nov 2017
Pick-Em Champion: Sep 2019, Nov 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby bruins2012 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 pm

willmma wrote:
MurderfaceMMA wrote:
bruins2012 wrote:Hey Murder.........


"U.S. intelligence agencies have found that North Korea is building new missiles, based on satellite photographs taken in recent weeks and other new evidence, The Washington Post reported Monday. Just weeks after a high-stakes summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang appears to be developing at least one or two liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles, the Post said, citing officials familiar with the intelligence. The factory outside Pyongyang in Sanumdong where the work is underway produced the North's first ICBMs capable of reaching the United States.

Following the Singapore summit in June, Mr. Trump had declared that Pyongyang was "no longer a Nuclear Threat," and touted his own diplomatic achievements.



:lol:

Yep, but Trump isnt a cuck like Obama. He just cancelled a scheduled meeting with NK and now they have to wait until the US and China work things out. In the meantime, the sanctions can continue to cripple his regime. Things are going to start getting real tough for NK the closer we get to the 2020 election. If progress isnt made by then, i imagine Trump is going to bring down the hammer, but they can just suffer with their crippling sanctions for now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/trump-c ... ation.html



Obama negotiated a multinational deal that saw Iran give up 98% of it's uranium.
End enrichment at levels above 5% and limit enrichment at lower levels
Set up the most stringent monitoring system in history according to the IAEA
Pretty much ending any chance for Iran to build a weapon.
And scared Iran into full compliance.


Trump, instead of isolating Kim and negotiating a similar deal with him, he went and treated him like royalty. Big hoopla about the mano-a-mano meeting between the two leaders. Kim got a free vacation to Singapore out of it and then walked away. And Trump derailed all that was achieved with Iran.

What a cuck Obama is :roll:



“Trump did it!, This isn’t some kind of pussy deal either. It calls for complete denuclearization and transparency!”

Everything you have said so far Murder has been false and woefully wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about and you never have, and this is just another example that proves it.

“Things are going to start getting real tough for NK Tthe closer we get to 2020 election.”

Where have you been for the past few decades Murder? You really think things are just NOW getting tough for NK? :lol:

And why do you have to wait until 2020 if “Trump’s deal wasn’t some kind of pussy deal?” :lol:


:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

Image
User avatar
bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 19211
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 pm
Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby Mr Meow » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:38 am

willmma wrote:
MurderfaceMMA wrote:
bruins2012 wrote:Hey Murder.........


"U.S. intelligence agencies have found that North Korea is building new missiles, based on satellite photographs taken in recent weeks and other new evidence, The Washington Post reported Monday. Just weeks after a high-stakes summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang appears to be developing at least one or two liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles, the Post said, citing officials familiar with the intelligence. The factory outside Pyongyang in Sanumdong where the work is underway produced the North's first ICBMs capable of reaching the United States.

Following the Singapore summit in June, Mr. Trump had declared that Pyongyang was "no longer a Nuclear Threat," and touted his own diplomatic achievements.



:lol:

Yep, but Trump isnt a cuck like Obama. He just cancelled a scheduled meeting with NK and now they have to wait until the US and China work things out. In the meantime, the sanctions can continue to cripple his regime. Things are going to start getting real tough for NK the closer we get to the 2020 election. If progress isnt made by then, i imagine Trump is going to bring down the hammer, but they can just suffer with their crippling sanctions for now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/trump-c ... ation.html



Obama negotiated a multinational deal that saw Iran give up 98% of it's uranium.
End enrichment at levels above 5% and limit enrichment at lower levels
Set up the most stringent monitoring system in history according to the IAEA
Pretty much ending any chance for Iran to build a weapon.
And scared Iran into full compliance.


Trump, instead of isolating Kim and negotiating a similar deal with him, he went and treated him like royalty. Big hoopla about the mano-a-mano meeting between the two leaders. Kim got a free vacation to Singapore out of it and then walked away. And Trump derailed all that was achieved with Iran.

What a cuck Obama is :roll:


By paying them billions of dollars a year? :lol:

don't get me wrong Trump sucks. I am not defending his policy.

Paying billions of dollars a year that was rightfully seized to a country which sponsors terrorism throughout the globe on a state level is hardly scaring them into doing anything. The Iran deal under Obama was not horrible and I am not saying it is but it darn sure was not without flaws or as iron fisted as people want to believe. I personally am not a big fan of the "oh hey we will pay you stop building nuclear bombs but you are still good to finance terrorism around the globe" strategy of picking the lesser of two evils but Iran is complicated situation needless to say.

I understand your point of view for sure and again I am not sticking up for Trump nor saying the Obama Iran deal was a total flop. :tup:

Thank you for not shouting at me
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
User avatar
Mr Meow
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion
 
Posts: 11230
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Lin Kuei training camp
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby willmma » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
willmma wrote:
Obama negotiated a multinational deal that saw Iran give up 98% of it's uranium.
End enrichment at levels above 5% and limit enrichment at lower levels
Set up the most stringent monitoring system in history according to the IAEA
Pretty much ending any chance for Iran to build a weapon.
And scared Iran into full compliance.


Trump, instead of isolating Kim and negotiating a similar deal with him, he went and treated him like royalty. Big hoopla about the mano-a-mano meeting between the two leaders. Kim got a free vacation to Singapore out of it and then walked away. And Trump derailed all that was achieved with Iran.

What a cuck Obama is :roll:


By paying them billions of dollars a year? :lol:

don't get me wrong Trump sucks. I am not defending his policy.

Paying billions of dollars a year that was rightfully seized to a country which sponsors terrorism throughout the globe on a state level is hardly scaring them into doing anything. The Iran deal under Obama was not horrible and I am not saying it is but it darn sure was not without flaws or as iron fisted as people want to believe. I personally am not a big fan of the "oh hey we will pay you stop building nuclear bombs but you are still good to finance terrorism around the globe" strategy of picking the lesser of two evils but Iran is complicated situation needless to say.

I understand your point of view for sure and again I am not sticking up for Trump nor saying the Obama Iran deal was a total flop. :tup:

Thank you for not shouting at me


What? Under what international law was it rightly seized?
User avatar
willmma
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6661
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Go Leafs!
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2016, Jan 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: Dec 2016, Nov 2017
Pick-Em Champion: Sep 2019, Nov 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby philphan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Image
I'm so fucking high.
Image
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Conor McGregor, Curtis Millender, Macy Chiasson, Felicia Spencer, Megan Anderson, Montel Jackson

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
philphan
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ
 
Posts: 24698
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: On the rug listening to bowling sounds
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby Mr Meow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am

willmma wrote:
Mr Meow wrote:
willmma wrote:
Obama negotiated a multinational deal that saw Iran give up 98% of it's uranium.
End enrichment at levels above 5% and limit enrichment at lower levels
Set up the most stringent monitoring system in history according to the IAEA
Pretty much ending any chance for Iran to build a weapon.
And scared Iran into full compliance.


Trump, instead of isolating Kim and negotiating a similar deal with him, he went and treated him like royalty. Big hoopla about the mano-a-mano meeting between the two leaders. Kim got a free vacation to Singapore out of it and then walked away. And Trump derailed all that was achieved with Iran.

What a cuck Obama is :roll:


By paying them billions of dollars a year? :lol:

don't get me wrong Trump sucks. I am not defending his policy.

Paying billions of dollars a year that was rightfully seized to a country which sponsors terrorism throughout the globe on a state level is hardly scaring them into doing anything. The Iran deal under Obama was not horrible and I am not saying it is but it darn sure was not without flaws or as iron fisted as people want to believe. I personally am not a big fan of the "oh hey we will pay you stop building nuclear bombs but you are still good to finance terrorism around the globe" strategy of picking the lesser of two evils but Iran is complicated situation needless to say.

I understand your point of view for sure and again I am not sticking up for Trump nor saying the Obama Iran deal was a total flop. :tup:

Thank you for not shouting at me


What? Under what international law was it rightly seized?



Bank Markazi v. Peterson was the court case I am pretty sure.

I have limited sympathy for the plight of the Iranian government and its continued sponsorship of terrorism on a state level. A great way for them to avoid assets being taken would be to stop sponsoring terrorist groups throughout the world, seems like a no brainer to me.

They told us they were moderating, that was a lie. They told us they stopped sponsoring terrorist groups, that was a lie, they said they had nothing to do with the Beirut bombings which killed over 250 Americans, that was a lie. So they got some money frozen so they could not use it to finance terrorism.

Again limited sympathy for their plight from me.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
User avatar
Mr Meow
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion
 
Posts: 11230
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Lin Kuei training camp
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby willmma » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
willmma wrote:
Mr Meow wrote:
willmma wrote:
Obama negotiated a multinational deal that saw Iran give up 98% of it's uranium.
End enrichment at levels above 5% and limit enrichment at lower levels
Set up the most stringent monitoring system in history according to the IAEA
Pretty much ending any chance for Iran to build a weapon.
And scared Iran into full compliance.


Trump, instead of isolating Kim and negotiating a similar deal with him, he went and treated him like royalty. Big hoopla about the mano-a-mano meeting between the two leaders. Kim got a free vacation to Singapore out of it and then walked away. And Trump derailed all that was achieved with Iran.

What a cuck Obama is :roll:


By paying them billions of dollars a year? :lol:

don't get me wrong Trump sucks. I am not defending his policy.

Paying billions of dollars a year that was rightfully seized to a country which sponsors terrorism throughout the globe on a state level is hardly scaring them into doing anything. The Iran deal under Obama was not horrible and I am not saying it is but it darn sure was not without flaws or as iron fisted as people want to believe. I personally am not a big fan of the "oh hey we will pay you stop building nuclear bombs but you are still good to finance terrorism around the globe" strategy of picking the lesser of two evils but Iran is complicated situation needless to say.

I understand your point of view for sure and again I am not sticking up for Trump nor saying the Obama Iran deal was a total flop. :tup:

Thank you for not shouting at me


What? Under what international law was it rightly seized?



Bank Markazi v. Peterson was the court case I am pretty sure.



That is not international law. This is as valid as a Chinese court freezing and confiscating US assets because the US bombed Iraq for no reason.
Holds no water internationally. It only works here because the US is a super power and Iran is a third world nation that cant really do anything about it.

Mr Meow wrote:I have limited sympathy for the plight of the Iranian government and its continued sponsorship of terrorism on a state level. A great way for them to avoid assets being taken would be to stop sponsoring terrorist groups throughout the world, seems like a no brainer to me.


Sponsoring terrorism has nothing to do with it. The US aids and abets terror groups all over the place, MeK, Nusra, even ISIS. US aids illegal Israel occupation of the Palestinians and Saudi bombings of Yemeni schools, hospitals and markets.

Iran has been under military attack or financial sanctions since the 1979 revolution. Those monies were frozen in 1979. Basically when the people revolted and overthrew the dictator imposed on them by the US. Before they had a chance to sponsor any terrorist groups.

This is just a matter of non compliance with US will.

Mr Meow wrote:
They told us they were moderating, that was a lie. They told us they stopped sponsoring terrorist groups, that was a lie, they said they had nothing to do with the Beirut bombings which killed over 250 Americans, that was a lie. So they got some money frozen so they could not use it to finance terrorism.



I never understood this example of 250 Americans killed in Beirut being characterized as a terror attack. Under what definition would a domestic group attacking an unwanted, belligerent, foreign military force be considered a terrorist attack?

I don't know if Iran helped in that attack. I haven't seen any evidence either way. But I do know that they aid Hezbollah which perpetrated the attack. Iran may or may not have known about the specific attack.

On the other hand the US shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 killing 290 civilians can more likely be described as a terrorist attack. Where civilians were targeted in a non combat zone.

Mr Meow wrote:
Again limited sympathy for their plight from me.


Your limited sympathy is understood. Not too many people like Iran. But your sympathy is irrelevant.


woof
User avatar
willmma
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6661
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Go Leafs!
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2016, Jan 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: Dec 2016, Nov 2017
Pick-Em Champion: Sep 2019, Nov 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby Mr Meow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:45 pm

willmma wrote:

That is not international law. This is as valid as a Chinese court freezing and confiscating US assets because the US bombed Iraq for no reason.
Holds no water internationally. It only works here because the US is a super power and Iran is a third world nation that cant really do anything about it.

Mr Meow wrote:I have limited sympathy for the plight of the Iranian government and its continued sponsorship of terrorism on a state level. A great way for them to avoid assets being taken would be to stop sponsoring terrorist groups throughout the world, seems like a no brainer to me.


Sponsoring terrorism has nothing to do with it. The US aids and abets terror groups all over the place, MeK, Nusra, even ISIS. US aids illegal Israel occupation of the Palestinians and Saudi bombings of Yemeni schools, hospitals and markets.

Iran has been under military attack or financial sanctions since the 1979 revolution. Those monies were frozen in 1979. Basically when the people revolted and overthrew the dictator imposed on them by the US. Before they had a chance to sponsor any terrorist groups.

This is just a matter of non compliance with US will.

Mr Meow wrote:
They told us they were moderating, that was a lie. They told us they stopped sponsoring terrorist groups, that was a lie, they said they had nothing to do with the Beirut bombings which killed over 250 Americans, that was a lie. So they got some money frozen so they could not use it to finance terrorism.



I never understood this example of 250 Americans killed in Beirut being characterized as a terror attack. Under what definition would a domestic group attacking an unwanted, belligerent, foreign military force be considered a terrorist attack?

I don't know if Iran helped in that attack. I haven't seen any evidence either way. But I do know that they aid Hezbollah which perpetrated the attack. Iran may or may not have known about the specific attack.

On the other hand the US shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 killing 290 civilians can more likely be described as a terrorist attack. Where civilians were targeted in a non combat zone.

Mr Meow wrote:
Again limited sympathy for their plight from me.


Your limited sympathy is understood. Not too many people like Iran. But your sympathy is irrelevant.


woof
[/quote][/quote]

I am not sure I understand your first point...If the US sponsored terrorist groups that attacked Iran that would be one thing, but we don't. I do not see a connection between this situation and if China froze our assets for bombing Iraq.


I am 100% against US bombings on Yemen, Somalia, etc, all the countries Obama started to bomb the fuck out of based on shitty intelligence. Trust me I am against that. However lets not get into the Israel Palestine occupation thing, that will just get us off track really fast :lol: I think we have opposing viewpoints on that for sure.

I think you comparing Iran as a state funding terrorism to the USA funding terrorists is pretty disingenuous. the whole US started and funds ISIS still is a pretty big conspiracy theory but if you can provide me some concrete evidence that the US government knowingly funded a terrorist group, when it was a terrorist group, knowing it was a terrorist group, and still funding this terrorist group I am open to hear it. I certainly do not think the US is above making shitty decisions like this. I have seen us do worse before but to my knowledge the last time we openly funded a terrorist group which we knew was a terrorist group was back in the late 90s in Kosovo under Mr Lolitta express Clinton himself

the Beirut Barack attacks were for sure a terrorist attack. It fits all the criteria needed for an attack to be considered a terrorist attack. I am not the biggest fan of our presence over there either, but that does not give civilians the right to drive a truck into the compound and blow it up. Timmy Mcveigh was an asshole, more so he viewed the US government as an "unwanted, belligerent military force" such as you described yet his bombing in 1995 was still a terrorist attack. The US having a military base in Beirut does not justify that bombing. All sorts of terrorist attacks have been against unwanted military forces but that does not make them any less of terrorist attacks, from the IRA to Algeria and everything in between.

Iran Air Flight655 was an absolute tragedy. It was a gigantic fuck up. However all the investigations done by both the US government and outside sources have all pointed to it just being an accident. it was a huge fuck up of intelligence and it cost a lot of people their lives. It is very sad but there is literally 0 evidence that the US intentionally shot down the plane knowing it was civilian in nature.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
User avatar
Mr Meow
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion
 
Posts: 11230
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Lin Kuei training camp
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby philphan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Image
Is Trump the dumbest president we have ever had?
I'm so fucking high.
Image
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Conor McGregor, Curtis Millender, Macy Chiasson, Felicia Spencer, Megan Anderson, Montel Jackson

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
philphan
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ
 
Posts: 24698
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: On the rug listening to bowling sounds
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby philphan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm so fucking high.
Image
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Conor McGregor, Curtis Millender, Macy Chiasson, Felicia Spencer, Megan Anderson, Montel Jackson

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
philphan
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ
 
Posts: 24698
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: On the rug listening to bowling sounds
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby willmma » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:20 am

Mr Meow wrote:
willmma wrote:

That is not international law. This is as valid as a Chinese court freezing and confiscating US assets because the US bombed Iraq for no reason.
Holds no water internationally. It only works here because the US is a super power and Iran is a third world nation that cant really do anything about it.

Mr Meow wrote:I have limited sympathy for the plight of the Iranian government and its continued sponsorship of terrorism on a state level. A great way for them to avoid assets being taken would be to stop sponsoring terrorist groups throughout the world, seems like a no brainer to me.


Sponsoring terrorism has nothing to do with it. The US aids and abets terror groups all over the place, MeK, Nusra, even ISIS. US aids illegal Israel occupation of the Palestinians and Saudi bombings of Yemeni schools, hospitals and markets.

Iran has been under military attack or financial sanctions since the 1979 revolution. Those monies were frozen in 1979. Basically when the people revolted and overthrew the dictator imposed on them by the US. Before they had a chance to sponsor any terrorist groups.

This is just a matter of non compliance with US will.

Mr Meow wrote:
They told us they were moderating, that was a lie. They told us they stopped sponsoring terrorist groups, that was a lie, they said they had nothing to do with the Beirut bombings which killed over 250 Americans, that was a lie. So they got some money frozen so they could not use it to finance terrorism.



I never understood this example of 250 Americans killed in Beirut being characterized as a terror attack. Under what definition would a domestic group attacking an unwanted, belligerent, foreign military force be considered a terrorist attack?

I don't know if Iran helped in that attack. I haven't seen any evidence either way. But I do know that they aid Hezbollah which perpetrated the attack. Iran may or may not have known about the specific attack.

On the other hand the US shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 killing 290 civilians can more likely be described as a terrorist attack. Where civilians were targeted in a non combat zone.

Mr Meow wrote:
Again limited sympathy for their plight from me.


Your limited sympathy is understood. Not too many people like Iran. But your sympathy is irrelevant.


woof


I am not sure I understand your first point...If the US sponsored terrorist groups that attacked Iran that would be one thing, but we don't. I do not see a connection between this situation and if China froze our assets for bombing Iraq.


I am 100% against US bombings on Yemen, Somalia, etc, all the countries Obama started to bomb the fuck out of based on shitty intelligence. Trust me I am against that. However lets not get into the Israel Palestine occupation thing, that will just get us off track really fast :lol: I think we have opposing viewpoints on that for sure.

I think you comparing Iran as a state funding terrorism to the USA funding terrorists is pretty disingenuous. the whole US started and funds ISIS still is a pretty big conspiracy theory but if you can provide me some concrete evidence that the US government knowingly funded a terrorist group, when it was a terrorist group, knowing it was a terrorist group, and still funding this terrorist group I am open to hear it. I certainly do not think the US is above making shitty decisions like this. I have seen us do worse before but to my knowledge the last time we openly funded a terrorist group which we knew was a terrorist group was back in the late 90s in Kosovo under Mr Lolitta express Clinton himself

the Beirut Barack attacks were for sure a terrorist attack. It fits all the criteria needed for an attack to be considered a terrorist attack. I am not the biggest fan of our presence over there either, but that does not give civilians the right to drive a truck into the compound and blow it up. Timmy Mcveigh was an asshole, more so he viewed the US government as an "unwanted, belligerent military force" such as you described yet his bombing in 1995 was still a terrorist attack. The US having a military base in Beirut does not justify that bombing. All sorts of terrorist attacks have been against unwanted military forces but that does not make them any less of terrorist attacks, from the IRA to Algeria and everything in between.

Iran Air Flight655 was an absolute tragedy. It was a gigantic fuck up. However all the investigations done by both the US government and outside sources have all pointed to it just being an accident. it was a huge fuck up of intelligence and it cost a lot of people their lives. It is very sad but there is literally 0 evidence that the US intentionally shot down the plane knowing it was civilian in nature.



Thanks for the response. I enjoy these chats.

The problem with these discussions is that they spawn into several topics. So, agreed to stay off the Israel topic, cuz you're right, that will derail things the fastest and most.

And I also want to refocus the discussions to my original contention of you saying that the US took/froze Iranian assets "rightly" because Iran sponsors terrorism. This spawned into three topics so far: US Sponsoring Terror, Beirut Barracks attack and Iran Air Flight 655.

I'll start with the definition of terrorism: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. I'm happy with that definition, three criteria: Violence against civilians to intimidate. <- the perpetrator is irrelevant.

I'll start with 655. If Iran shot down a civilian airline then I'm sure the US would launch a war against Iran. If Iran conducted an investigation and found itself innocent of any ill-will and that the whole thing is an accident, would you accept it? Motivations aside the plain facts are that US armed forces shot a missile at a civilian airliner and killed 290 people. These facts are not in dispute. whether it was an accident or not is not really a fact and very much in dispute. Just like when the US bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade, but that's another story. Shooting down the civilian plane meets two of the criteria. There may or may not be intimidation. If you believe there is then it's terror. If not then not.

Beirut Barracks was an attack on a non-civilian target. case closed. not terror.

So, Air 655 can be described as terror depending your understanding of intention. Beirut Barracks is not terror.

Now even if you want to consider it terror, there is no proof Iran had anything to do with it or even planned it. And even if it is terror and Iran had a hand in it, it happened three years after sanctions were imposed. So sanctions had nothing to do with sponsoring terrorism

Ok, on US sponsoring terror.

How America Armed Terrorists in Syria

U.S. Support for Al Qaeda-Linked Rebels Undermines Syrian Ceasefire

‘Americans Are On Our Side’: Al-Nusra Commander Says US Arming Jihadists Via Third Countries

2012 US weapons to jihani rebels by accident https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/worl ... hands.html
2013 Airlift of weapons to rebels https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... agreb.html
2014 Congress approves arming "moderate" rebels https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... S320140127
2014 U.S. Weapons Fall Into the Hands of Terrorists https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ts/383095/
2015 US gives weapons to rebels by accident. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33997408
2016 US gives weapons to ISIS by accident. https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/29/th ... ia-rebels/
2017 US weapsons to ISIS https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-w ... 1943415862


When the Syrian army clashed with ISIS in 2016, the US bombed the Syrian army. Helped ISIS take over a critical position, I think it was an airport. 37 airstrikes killed over 100 Syrians. By accident. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September ... r_air_raid

I believe the US fought ISIS in Iraq but helped them fight Assad in Syria.


Here is general Wesley Clarke telling us that the US friends and allies supports zealots in Syria who are willing to fight Hezbollah



----

With all that said. Back to topic.
The US did not freeze Iran assets because Iran perpetrated terror attacks against the US. Because none happened.

But if you want to say that the US froze Iran assets because it sponsors terror elsewhere (timelines dont work but anyways...) then it is fair to say this is as wrong as China freezing US assets because of sponsoring terror.

Ultimately there is no international law that says the US has the "right" to take Iranian money.

Other facts
As a member of NPT Iran has the right to acquire and build civilian nuclear facilities
Iran gave up 98% of its uranium
Iran accepted the most stringent inspections ever, way above and beyond NPT requirements
In return to unfreeze their money and continue to run their civilian nuclear program
Iran abided by the deal

The only party not to honor its word is the United States of America.
User avatar
willmma
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6661
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Go Leafs!
Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2016, Jan 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: Dec 2016, Nov 2017
Pick-Em Champion: Sep 2019, Nov 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users