Close
Login
Register

Kicks

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Kicks

Postby BOBBYBOB1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Which kick will generate more power, a front snap kick or a side kick? Thanks
BOBBYBOB1
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Kicks

Postby halal pig » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm

side kick for sure. check out cung les turning side kick and the impact that has. a front kick is sort of the jab of kicks
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby DannyRocktown » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm

I prefer the side kick as well. In a Tae Kwan Do-like stance, it's very quick and extremely useful for either power kicks or just keeping an opponent on the outside.

ImageImageImage
DannyRocktown
Admin

Accolades: Feb. 2016 MMALINKER Fantasy B-League Champion

Postby detfilteg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

halal pig wrote:side kick for sure. check out cung les turning side kick and the impact that has. a front kick is sort of the jab of kicks

Without the spin with the side kick I personally think they are about even. The hip is completing almost the exact same action with both kicks it really just depends on how far back you cock the side kick before throwing. This of course will take longer to throw.

It also depends a lot on the practitioner. I am obviously more comfortable with the front kick, but I did use the side kick a lot in TKD. TKD is a completely different sport than Muay Thai though. I've yet to see someone get knocked out by a side kick (not spinning) to the face/body in MMA.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby JonB » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 am

Close, but I would say side kick. The thrust of a front snapping kick is hard, but it's usually not a finisher unless you kick the face. Most people don't reach for head side kicks, but the body can be punished by them. I think the hips get more engaged a bit, especially given I can push forward with it a bit more.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby gigica1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm

the side kick is a snap side kick or a push side kick? I forgot the japanese terms cause it's been a long time but the two are very different. The one where you engage the hip all the way and pivot on the base foot is powerful but kinda slow.

And you have to try and hit with the heel for a small impact area...

* It's yoko geri keage(snap) and kekomi (pushing)
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:23 am

Is the snapping kick a karate kick? If you are talking about a push kick or thrust kick, they are extremely powerful because with little technique they can generate a lot of power.
As far as side kicking goes, if you are doing a spinning side kick, rear leg side kick or stepping side kick it is all different. As far as the most powerful side kick I would have to say spinning. A stepping side kick using a "shuffle hop" technique can also generate a lot of power. I would have to say, if you are interested in learning these kicks enroll into a TKD school. I currently train with some really great TKD BBs. That is where I have learned the majority of my kicks. MT kicks are extremely easy to learn and a dime a dozen, it is always good to have some TKD kicks in your back pocket.
If you would like to learn these kicks, let me know and I can make a video explaining in more detail.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:09 pm

side kick for sure, you can generate much more torque from the spinning of your hip/knee than the power you can generate with your hip flexors and thighs alone
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Postby willyman77 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 am

Are we talking about a side kick or a turning side kick? Because they are two entirely different kicks. If we are talking about the turning side kick, then yeah that generates a lot more power than a front kick if done correctly. It's all about the turning of the hips and kicking straight out. Now if you are talking about just a side kick, than the front kick will generate more power. In a regular side kick, all the power is generated from your front leg. It can still be a powerful kick if landed accurately.
willyman77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby seznams » Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 am

Sidekick or back kicks should be stronger. Look up Don Wilson or Peter Cunningham fights on Youtube. They did pretty well with sidekicks against Muay Thai fighters.
seznams
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Stand Up