Close
Login
Register

What the flying fuck?

Discuss any and all non-combat sports here.

Re: What the flying fuck?

Postby RebelSaki » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm

notsukao wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:So JPA is off to, what most including myself would consider a "hot" start for him. He's got 7 homeruns in 19 games played, I mean wow that is pretty impressive.

His OBP? .260 :|

He has an equally impressive 1:28 K:BB ratio too :lol:
I don't really think WAR is too accurate of a stat, but as of right now, with his .871 OPS, he already has a .4 WAR for this year. If JPA miraculasly kept that up his WAR would come out to a grand total of around 3.5 if he caught 140 games because his D is so bad. Again, WAR has a lot of flaws, but I thought it was funny he could hit 49 HR's over 140 games, OPS .871, and still finish with near the same WAR as Ben Revere and Dan Uggla did last year :lol:

I generally like WAR and what it encompasses as a stat, but it can't be completely relied on until defensive metrics become much more advanced. OPS massively overrates JPA imo because the only hits he gets are homeruns and doubles, they just come way too sporadically over a large sample.

Can't wait for pitch framing metrics to be released one day.
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Postby RebelSaki » Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 pm

45 strikeouts, 2 walks.

Could JPA reach 200 K's before he walks 10 times this season? :| :lol: :cry:
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 pm

RebelSaki wrote:45 strikeouts, 2 walks.

That's pretty hilarious. I looked up the least amount of walks in a season in recent memory, while still having enough at bats to qualify for the batting title, and Shawon Dunston had 8 in 1997 (I think...forgot the year). That might be in jeopardy this year :lol:
If anything else the biggest discrepancy between K's and BB has got to be in danger too.

OBP watch for JPA: .258... brutal.
Image Image
Nick Diaz (W) def. Carlos Condit (L), TKO (Stockton Slap) 3:25, Rd 2
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 pm

notsukao wrote:

That's pretty hilarious. I looked up the least amount of walks in a season in recent memory, while still having enough at bats to qualify for the batting title, and Shawon Dunston had 8 in 1997 (I think...forgot the year). That might be in jeopardy this year :lol:
If anything else the biggest discrepancy between K's and BB has got to be in danger too.

:lol: :lol: Just looked into Dunston's career because I'd never heard of him... How the fuck did this guy continually earn major league contracts? A poor defensive shortstop with a horrid on base percentage year after year. Only plus was his slugging %.

Holy shit that sounds familiar :|
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 pm

RebelSaki wrote:
notsukao wrote:

:lol: :lol: Just looked into Dunston's career because I'd never heard of him... How the fuck did this guy continually earn major league contracts? A poor defensive shortstop with a horrid on base percentage year after year. Only plus was his slugging %.

Holy shit that sounds familiar :|

I've probably got a few years on you then- I only remembered his name from whatever MLB videogames I played when I was younger, and from the tail end of his career on the Giants. I didn't even know he came up as a SS- I want to say he was a corner OF at the end I think, which makes it even worse.
With how far advanced stats have come, it is indeed pretty funny to see guys with similar profiles still floating around. Dinosaur Dusty Baker still hits Zack Cosart and his glorious .280 career OBP in the no. 2 slot, and says things like "On Base Percentage is nice, but RBI's are better" :lol:

Speaking of which, it seems there's a lot of steam gaining to the view that your best hitter should hit 2nd. Gotta love ol' Dusty.
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sat May 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Yeah I have read people talking about putting your best hitter 2nd and I had to do a double-take at first. I think I still prefer the notion of putting a high contact-rate, high-OBP guy 2nd and giving your best hitter a chance to hit with RISP.

Generally most MLB managers are bad at optimizing their lineups. But I've read an article where the guy presented some in depth stats proposing that optimizing your lineup only really garners marginal benefits over the long run.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Sun May 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Same here, at first glance I thought it was pure stupidity but there's some interesting points (although you're right, we're talking about fractions of runs in the grand scheme of things and roughly 15-20 at bats per year extra your best hitter would get if batting 2nd vs. 3rd)- enough that I'd like to see someone try it out, just for fun.
I'm holding out on a concrete opinion about it until I read Tom Tango's 'The Book' which according to know it all Keith Law (I somewhat like reading his stuff, just don't enjoy the snark most of the time) has the best arguments for it.
Mike Trout is hitting 2nd for now I believe, for what it's worth (nothing).

Arencibia watch: .255 OBP, 2:47 K:BB
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sun May 12, 2013 5:09 pm

notsukao wrote:Same here, at first glance I thought it was pure stupidity but there's some interesting points (although you're right, we're talking about fractions of runs in the grand scheme of things and roughly 15-20 at bats per year extra your best hitter would get if batting 2nd vs. 3rd)- enough that I'd like to see someone try it out, just for fun.
I'm holding out on a concrete opinion about it until I read Tom Tango's 'The Book' which according to know it all Keith Law (I somewhat like reading his stuff, just don't enjoy the snark most of the time) has the best arguments for it.
Mike Trout is hitting 2nd for now I believe, for what it's worth (nothing).

Arencibia watch: .255 OBP, 2:47 K:BB

Keith Law is a great analyst and I agree, you've got to be able to handle his snark and "know-it-all-ness" to enjoy the read.

For what it's worth, Toronto has batted Joey Bats 2 days in a row in the 2-spot. However they put JP at cleanup both those days which is god damn indefensible :| . 0 for 5 with a strikeout in the 4 spot today :lol: produkshun for dayz
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am

JP just added on 10 more strikeouts without walking once. It's been exactly a month and 2 days since his last walk. Yes folks he is now at the point where he is on pace to set the worst K:BB ratio in baseball history this year.

#top10catcher
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 pm

RebelSaki wrote:It's been exactly a month and 2 days since his last walk. Yes folks he is now at the point where he is on pace to set the worst K:BB ratio in baseball history this year.

#top10catcher

I'm sorry but that is fucking awesome. I'm kind of rooting for him to hit just enough to get consistent playing time to see what becomes of this. Today he added an 0-5 with 3 K's :lol:
I'm not sure of the exact number, but his OBP was .244 heading into today's game, so it must be sitting in the .230's now :Holy:
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sat May 25, 2013 10:17 am

notsukao wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:It's been exactly a month and 2 days since his last walk. Yes folks he is now at the point where he is on pace to set the worst K:BB ratio in baseball history this year.

#top10catcher

I'm sorry but that is fucking awesome. I'm kind of rooting for him to hit just enough to get consistent playing time to see what becomes of this. Today he added an 0-5 with 3 K's :lol:
I'm not sure of the exact number, but his OBP was .244 heading into today's game, so it must be sitting in the .230's now :Holy:

:lol: fuck. All I can do is laugh about my Jays at this point. :|

58:2 K:BB, .237 OBP

FOR A BAT-ONLY CATCHER WHO IS AMONG THE BOTTOM 3 DEFENDERS AT HIS POSITION :Holy:
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 am

JPA draws a walk today :x

in other news, gawd bless Munenori Kawasaki
http://deadspin.com/munenori-kawasaki-h ... -509950234
Image Image