Close
Login
Register

My Fitness Pal

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

My Fitness Pal

Postby detfilteg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Not sure if any of you would be interested in this, but I have found it to be a great tool for tracking calories/macronutrients.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

You can also download an app to your phone.

Basically you input all of your personal information (height/weight) into the app, and whether you want to gain or lose weight. Then you input your entire calorie intake for the day as well as your physical activity. It will track all the calories you have consumed, and burned to give you a good idea of how many calories you have left or if you ate too many.

One of the things I like about this also is that you can input your own recipes with the ingredients you use, list how many servings the recipe makes, and it will calculate the calories for one serving for you to use on your daily tracker.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Re: My Fitness Pal

Postby halal pig » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

i personally dont think its the greatest way to measure calories you should consume. if you use it, do it loosely. it can only assess you calorie burn to an extent as well as your calorie needs. and how many calories you have left over implies you can eat a lot right at the end of the day if you have a lot left over or vice versa. try to space out your calories realtively evenly throughout the day. also dont think if you have 1000 or whatever calories left over you are entiled to eating that all at once, especially if thats junk food. as i said, use it loosely
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 pm

halal pig wrote:i personally dont think its the greatest way to measure calories you should consume. if you use it, do it loosely. it can only assess you calorie burn to an extent as well as your calorie needs. and how many calories you have left over implies you can eat a lot right at the end of the day if you have a lot left over or vice versa. try to space out your calories realtively evenly throughout the day. also dont think if you have 1000 or whatever calories left over you are entiled to eating that all at once, especially if thats junk food. as i said, use it loosely

What is wrong with eating 1000 calories at once?
Caloric and nutrient timing is much less important then achieving macro nutrient needs for your boy.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

halal pig wrote:i personally dont think its the greatest way to measure calories you should consume. if you use it, do it loosely. it can only assess you calorie burn to an extent as well as your calorie needs. and how many calories you have left over implies you can eat a lot right at the end of the day if you have a lot left over or vice versa. try to space out your calories realtively evenly throughout the day. also dont think if you have 1000 or whatever calories left over you are entiled to eating that all at once, especially if thats junk food. as i said, use it loosely

I shouldn't eat a bunch of junk food at the end of the day!? NEWS TO ME!

Really though man I am not that dumb, and if you had read any of my other posts in the Paleo thread you would know that I don't eat any procssed food.

I do have a cheat day here and there where I eat some pizza though. :).

Also I will typically edit the calories burned for my exercise as it does over estimate. That is what my HRM is for.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Return to Nutrition