Close
Login
Register

Timbercutters workout log

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

Re: Timbercutters workout log

Postby red_donn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm

I finally found not one but two elite athletes with an approach similar to yours timber! Woohoo! (Seriously, I am way too happy about this for some reason - I suppose I just wanted some verification of your methods being tested elsewhere)

Eric Heiden, one of the greatest speedskaters of all time, used light weights for tons of reps. He would squat 205 for 300 reps and leg press 500 for 100 reps. This guy was known for having 28 inch thighs (larger than any bodybuilder of the period) and he won both the short and long distance events, the skating equivalent of winning the 100 meter dash and the marathon in the Olympics in the same year.

Dan John wrote:My buddy, John Powell, is the former world record holder in the discus. He had an interesting yearly variation on the old 5 x 5 workout. Simply, each year, he'd set a goal of doing a weight for five sets of five. Yes, we all know that, but his variation was unique. If he chose our "365" as his target weight, he'd plop down on the bench once a week and test himself.

Workout One:

365 for 4
365 for 3
365 for 1
365 for 1
365 for 1

He'd then add up the total reps of the workout: 10 in this case. As the weeks and months progressed, he'd slowly work up in the teens then the low twenties. With a serious enough weight, it could take months to build up to the full 25 reps of a 5 x 5 workout.

The upside of this workout may not be obvious, but it allows you to use heavy weights and slowly, steadily build the volume up. Don’t worry if the fourth set has more reps than the third set or if it takes months to get that fifth set to come around: we're focusing on the big picture here.

Sound familiar? In all three cases, including yours, the lifter in question had a very active job/lifestyle outside of lifting - in these cases speedskating, throwing, and hacking down trees. Perhaps that is the case to getting the "Shit Ton of One" workout to be effective, or perhaps it is just a case good, hard work being more important than set/rep schemes in general. At any rate, a nice piece of information to have if you find your particular method of training being attacked as "untested."

This all makes me think of something I've been reading about recently, how programs have become overstressed (married to our methods, as some say) and more types of programs deserve recognition. For my own part, I am bearing in mind the concept of occasional extreme changes in my workout structure - shifting from a 3x5 flat to a 5x5 ramping produced some massive gains. All the talk of adaptation that we lifters are so fond of should be recognized at the big picture level as well as just in our loading and intensity schemes.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby maciejkargol » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm

^ I basically did the above on my last chest workout
225 x 5
225 x 4
225 x 2
225 x 1
then I dropped to 205 and banged out 5 a few times.

I think im gonna try to do the 5 x 5 where I add up the reps and go until i can get 25 reps. It sounds like it would work well. And its better than putting random heavy weight on a bar like im doing now.
SURVIVOR POOL CHAMPION
maciejkargol
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Survivor

Postby timbercutter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks Red...I don't really know anyone else doing my program....it just kinda morphed into what it is...but I know that the end results are wicked, based on my tournament production.

Eric Hieden was an Animal!...I watched him live (I am an old fuck) as he tore up everyone at the Lake Placid Olympics. But his program is a little diff than mine.......
red_donn wrote:used light weights for tons of reps.

my program is a 10 rep continum for the first ten sets (then I fade between sets 11-20) before I add more weight...and 220 isn't exactly a "light" weight considering I weigh about 175 and compete around the 165 class....again, thanks for the input, i'll take all the info I can get.
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby red_donn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:59 pm

timbercutter wrote:Thanks Red...I don't really know anyone else doing my program....it just kinda morphed into what it is...but I know that the end results are wicked, based on my tournament production.

Eric Hieden was an Animal!...I watched him live (I am an old fuck) as he tore up everyone at the Lake Placid Olympics. But his program is a little diff than mine.......
red_donn wrote:used light weights for tons of reps.

my program is a 10 rep continum for the first ten sets (then I fade between sets 11-20) before I add more weight...and 220 isn't exactly a "light" weight considering I weigh about 175 and compete around the 165 class....again, thanks for the input, i'll take all the info I can get.

:lol:

Not trying to downplay the weight, buddy (I couldn't even hit the first set - my bench really does suck) but 220 is "light" compared to your one-rep max. Elite strength athletes (that would include you) generally measure intensity in terms of percentages based off their one rep max. For instance, the "light" work done for speed on a Westside dynamic effort day is in the 40-60% of their one-rep max, and those sets are generally for five reps or less. From world-champion powerlifters, that is still a very heavy weight in absolute terms but it is a "light" weight in percentage terms.

Your routine definitely isn't quite the same as either Heiden's or Powel's. The overall volume is similar to Heiden's but I don't know his loading patterns or individual set/rep schemes - furthermore I think the weight you are using is definitely more intense than his was, as measured (once again) in percentage terms. The loading patterns match Powel, but the set/rep, volume, and intensity (% of one rep max) are different.

However, the sense of using a relatively manageable weight for a high number of reps in order to develop a high short-term power or strength output, either in a single throw, lift, or short-distance race, is the philosophy in each. Just something to toss at the young whipper-snappers or those of us who become to invested in a single manner of training. That's why I've wanted to find other routines like yours, I've been wondering if there was something I was missing in my 1-5 rep scheme that I trusted in so much. Looking around has been very informative.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn

Postby timbercutter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm

My terminal one lift has dropped quite a bit in the last 6 years as I git older.....7 years ago I hit a one lift high of 368 at the age of 40, while weighing exactly 160lbs....right now it's around 325...still enough for a national (drug free) record at the 165lbs class for my age and weight....been dealing with alot of stupidity induced injuries (from rolling, torn labrum with a biceps tendon tear and two r-cuff surgeries) for the last 3 years...I'm gonna enter a national event next spring, where I guarantee a title as long as I remain injury free................
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors

Postby red_donn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:28 pm

timbercutter wrote:My terminal one lift has dropped quite a bit in the last 6 years as I git older.....7 years ago I hit a one lift high of 368 at the age of 40, while weighing exactly 160lbs....right now it's around 325...still enough for a national (drug free) record at the 165lbs class for my age and weight....been dealing with alot of stupidity induced injuries (from rolling, torn labrum with a biceps tendon tear and two r-cuff surgeries) for the last 3 years...I'm gonna enter a national event next spring, where I guarantee a title as long as I remain injury free................

So you are currently working at 66% of your rough one-rep max. For 20 sets. Fucking hell.
red_donn

Postby timbercutter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:42 pm

red_donn wrote:
timbercutter wrote:My terminal one lift has dropped quite a bit in the last 6 years as I git older.....7 years ago I hit a one lift high of 368 at the age of 40, while weighing exactly 160lbs....right now it's around 325...still enough for a national (drug free) record at the 165lbs class for my age and weight....been dealing with alot of stupidity induced injuries (from rolling, torn labrum with a biceps tendon tear and two r-cuff surgeries) for the last 3 years...I'm gonna enter a national event next spring, where I guarantee a title as long as I remain injury free................

So you are currently working at 66% of your rough one-rep max. For 20 sets. Fucking hell.

It is an arduous workout for sure...But, since my goal is to do 10 reps for the first 10 sets prior to moving up. Im not lifting to failure (mainly because I always lift alone at my house with no spotter)...so for the first 5 sets or so I could probably do more than 10 reps...and because I really dont enjoy having the bar crushing my chest my sets always stop at one rep prior to failure...years of doing this has given me a real understanding of when my next rep will be undo able......right now by the 20th set im still able to do 7 reps
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby MirFan » Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 pm

This shit needs updating!
MirFan
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby timbercutter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:43 pm

shit...I need to keep this updated....spent the last 4-5 months dropping weight...while still lifting...dropped from 215 down to 170.....still pressing the same...keep fluxuating from using 205-230lbs for 20 sets between 160-190 reps
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby Fearless6691 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm

timbercutter wrote:shit...I need to keep this updated....spent the last 4-5 months dropping weight...while still lifting...dropped from 215 down to 170.....still pressing the same...keep fluxuating from using 205-230lbs for 20 sets between 160-190 reps

You getting ripped from summer bro?
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby timbercutter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Holy FUCK!....I crushed it today!....granted, Im using a fag weight (210) right now. But I just finished my manly 20 set workout and I went 15 sets before I fadded to 9 reps. My last set was 8 reps!...pretty fuckin crazy since I currently weigh 172 and am muthafuckin 49 years old!.....I'm gonna go kill something
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby BerzerkerJr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 am

timbercutter wrote:Holy FUCK!....I crushed it today!....granted, Im using a fag weight (210) right now. But I just finished my manly 20 set workout and I went 15 sets before I fadded to 9 reps. My last set was 8 reps!...pretty fuckin crazy since I currently weigh 172 and am muthafuckin 49 years old!.....I'm gonna go kill something

Fuck yes!!!!
BerzerkerJr
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Workout Logs