Close
Login
Register

Hooks.

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Hooks.

Postby JayDeeHero » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 am

I've had a few striking coaches and they've told me different things.

A few have said I should throw hooks with my hand positioned as if I am 'stirring the pot'. Others have said I should look at my watch. I've used both, and I can see the benefits and losses of using either.

For example, the 'stirring the pot' has less chance of damaging your fist in case of a miss or a glancing blow, and your hand naturally turns that way. The 'looking at my watch' hooks have your hand lined up with either jawline or between ribs, giving a higher chance of KO/Body Damage.

What i'm asking, which do you prefer and why?
"The Sun shines brighter when you look at it, but it shines regardless. Shine for yourself, not just when people are watching." - Jordan Grenyion-Smith

JayDeeHero
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Hooks.

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I had always done the looking at the watch way, but recently learned about the stirring the pot or coffee cup way and I don't really like it. I notice when I throw a body hook I turn my hand over a little, almost to the point of an uppercut. Not sure if I should, but it feels natural and I think I have always done it.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby beastman4 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:07 pm

I mostly use the looking at the watch method. In Muay Thai I usually only use the stirring the pot method more for a straight jab than for hooks. I prefer the watch method because I'm use to it; however, the pot method has more power.
beastman4
White Belt
White Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 pm

I find stirring the pot has more power behind it. I dislike the watch method because for me the power doesn't transfer well through the wrist. Old school boxers say that the watch method is the better way IF and only if you have the skill to use your ring and pinky knuckles, because they are the ones that follow the straight power line of the forearm. The watch method I find is for surprise inside hooks that are almost downward in nature while stirring is mid/long range.
TheAssassin
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Postby basic » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:37 am

you can break your ring and pinky knuckles easier with the watch way.
plus i find i get way more power the pot way.
#1 forever - fedor
favs - A silv/hose ald/jr dos/ogreem
basic
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:40 am

i find stirring pot has more blunt power, and protects your hands better
but the watch way its more concentrated to a smaller area, its much easier to land with the top 2 knuckles only, and i find can generate more KO power due to a smaller surface area. but you can injure your other fingers easier.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Fighttolive » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:28 pm

i was always taught the watch way so it's hard for me to do the stirring the pot way,sometime's i end up making contact with my ring and pinky fingers but i've been trying to correct that apparently the correct way to land is with the top two knuckles.
Favorite Fighters: Frankie Edgar, GSP, Shogun Rua, Rory Macdonald, Melvin Guillard, Mark Hominick
Fighttolive
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby cman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:33 pm

I always do the look at the watch way when attacking high and stir the pot when going to the body. I find it just is more natural to how my body moves and tightens things up.
cman
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:04 pm

cman wrote:I always do the look at the watch way when attacking high and stir the pot when going to the body. I find it just is more natural to how my body moves and tightens things up.

I find when throwing the hooks to the body if you're doing the half way shot (in the middle between an uppercut and a hook) its the only way to throw it.

Oddly enough I find when i throw high without the gloves i look at the watch and with gloves its the stir the pot way.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby LiamHillen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 am

They both work well , i 'look at my watch' with my left and 'coffee cup' with my right
[size=200][color=#00FF00]
LiamHillen
Baby Caveman

Postby BerzerkerJr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:35 am

The idea is to use the ones that work on your opponent.
BerzerkerJr
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby tudodude » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:19 pm

I feel good striking is often about having good fundamental habits.

Train both but more so on pads do the 'watch'. This ensures your elbow goes up at a good angle, this can feel weird to those who learnt 'stirring the pot' first.
If one trains only the 'pot' then an ugly habit of the elbow dropping can start to become your norm. Under pressure and whilst being hit we tend to lose exact position and technique a bit anyway and the elbow dropping is one of the first ugly habits which manifest.
Training the 'watch' reduces this ugly habit. I still do the odd 'stirring the pot wallop' and it feels awesome, but, for experience I learnt that for me, a reliance of the 'pot' seemed to make this ugly elbow habit happen more and poorer technique became more obvious.

The above refers to striking to the head mostly. For the body I find that with boxing gloves the 'pot' gives a better angel for both speed and power, especially if you have a bit of distance between you and your target.

With MMA gloves and in a sort of standing clinch I find positions where the 'watch' is better though.
When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield strike off their heads and, when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly. Quran 47:4
tudodude
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby tudodude » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Berserker jr wrote:The idea is to use the ones that work on your opponent.

But how often do you get to do that unless you are at the top and you know who your opponent is. Mostly reg ular fighters don't get shit info until it's too late if they get anything at all.
One requires a good fundamental set.
When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield strike off their heads and, when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly. Quran 47:4
tudodude
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby iHeartChrisWheelkick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 pm

cman wrote:I always do the look at the watch way when attacking high and stir the pot when going to the body. I find it just is more natural to how my body moves and tightens things up.

This. "Stirring the pot" definitely feels more comfortable to me when on the inside attacking the body. I always tend to do the "Look at the watch" variation when attacking upstairs. Just the way I have always done in it through advice from training partners and coaches and learning different methods.
A Pimp Named Pitbull

DonnyStonevillage wrote:Fedors back to save MMA one can at a time.

91-38
iHeartChrisWheelkick
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: First Linker Challenge Champion (Dunk-off)
Creator of the Tag Team Tournament
Survivor

Return to Stand Up