Close
Login
Register

Things you wish you could teach all fighters (Gif/video)

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Things you wish you could teach all fighters (Gif/video)

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Just wanted a change of pace from the normal posts going on, which really means this thread will be forgotten in a day for more Sonnen/Silva talk or WWs ducking each other.

Anyway what are some things you have seen some fighters do, that you wish you could teach to all fighters (or would teach them if you were a trainer/coach).

First. I would teach them what do to when a wrestler presses you against the cage and works for a double/single leg. Go to the 13:10 mark in this video. THIS is what do to when face with a wrestler holding your legs against the cage.

2nd- I would teach them the importance of accuracy. Lyoto Machida was thought to be invinceable for a number of reasons, the thing that stood out the most to me was his accuracy.

What happens when your punch lands:

Take the same fighter and this is what happens when you miss that punch.

3rd would be the usefulness of hand trapping. You might have noticed that there was already an example of this in the first Machida clip above. Here are two gifs of Fedor doing some great hand trapping.

I know what you are thinking. Irish, that is Fedor, he is the greatest ever. You can't teach that to everyone. Well here is a gif of Marcus Davis doing a similar hand trap as well, against Jason Tan. It is obviously tough to be as good as Fedor, or even Marcus Davis; but against other amateurs this is pretty easy to pull off.

4th would be how to finish an armbar. My Judo Sensei always said if the thumb faces the ceiling all the bones line up and you get the finish, otherwise they can escape.

Here you can see Franklin rolls right into an armbar, Lutter pulls on the arm but can't finish, then Franklin rolls out of it. If you look you notice the "UFC" on the back for Franklin's hand, which means he had his palm down, which is what allowed him to escape.

Now here is an example of thumb down and then thumb up in the same fight. Go to the 4:40 mark of the video. Notice Ronda can't get the finish and Tate ends up escaping, you can actually see Ronda try to twist Tate's arm to line it up. Now go to the 8:08 mark. This is a good time to point out how Ronda also pulls Tate's arms apart, exactly how my Sensei taught us. It is tough to see but Tate's thumb is held facing the ceiling and her arm dislocates. Textbook, great execution from a world glass Judoka.

That's all I got for now. Please add in your own. Please don't fill this thread with nonsense, thanks 8)
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Re: Things you wish you could teach all fighters (Gif/video)

Postby mrbwo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I just wantedto bump ya thread cuz itw as so good.. i dont have time but someone gif how Bisping got up form Chael Sonnens takedown over and over again that was beautiful..

Also the way Rampage protected himself from that Machida rush was more beautiful than the Machida rush imo. Especially when he countered back (which the gif doesnt show)
Karma is everything.

Jon Jones >> Your Favorite Fighter
mrbwo
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:48 pm

mrbwo wrote:I just wantedto bump ya thread cuz itw as so good.. i dont have time but someone gif how Bisping got up form Chael Sonnens takedown over and over again that was beautiful..

Also the way Rampage protected himself from that Machida rush was more beautiful than the Machida rush imo. Especially when he countered back (which the gif doesnt show)

Thanks, I was thinking about adding in some "getting up from the bottom" gifs as well.

Rampage did a good job not taking too much damage, but what I didn't like was he was backing straight back, instead of circling out, which is not good. Really I just wanted to compare landing a punch as oppose to missing like when Rua KO'd him.

Thanks for the bump though. I knew going into it that the "OMG Jones had two trashy women with him" threads would get more posts lol.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby Masterino » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:58 pm

This is Wicked, man! Not very often do these types of threads come up with such detail :)

Awesome job, n hope in the future that more informative threads pop up.
Sigs are useless.
Masterino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 pm

5. How to have a proper staredown. This seems like a no brainer, but people fuck it up all the time. You want to be scary, but natural and you don't want to back down.

Here is Wand and Rampage having a staredown. This is a great example. Both look mean and angry, but it looks natural not forced (cough Diaz, Sanchez cough).

Here is a pic of Wand and CroCop. This one still scares the shit out of me, it looks like the world might come to an end. Again it is not forced.

Finally here is Don Frye and James Thompson. Not typical, but it goes to the not backing down rule.

Women's MMA might be a little bit behind their male counterpart, but their staredowns can be great as well.

Now what NOT to do.

Hey Anderson this is a staredown, stop getting distracted.

Dammit Chael, what did I just say?

Getting close and not backing down like Frye is 1 thing, but you don't want to kiss the other guy.
Last edited by irishmike357 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Masterino wrote:This is Wicked, man! Not very often do these types of threads come up with such detail :)

Awesome job, n hope in the future that more informative threads pop up.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby PBells » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Head movement, head movement, HEAD MOVEMENT
PBells
The Jim Cornette of 'Linker

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019, Oct 2019
Survivor Champion

Postby 808_Hawaii » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Now this is some quality.

Great detail and I never realised the hand trapping :lol:

Thanks
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:11 pm

808_Hawaii wrote:Now this is some quality.

Great detail and I never realised the hand trapping :lol:

Thanks

I won't take the credit for that one. The Breakdown of Fedor's Skills article really did great work with that.

PsychoBells wrote:Head movement, head movement, HEAD MOVEMENT

I think Assassin had a great post dedicated to Head Movement if I am not mistaken, lots of Tyson gifs/vids in it if I remember correctly. That is a great addition though.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby MrSlapp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 pm

As a coach I would make them train in Chi Sao, like the WT guys from Germany.

I don´t do it, but I would like to. It is very hard to understand if you never met someone and experienced it. In itself it is not meant for fighting, but for sensibility and reaction. It is insane, fun and scary at the same time.

Impossible to grab someone that knows how to do it (wrist control) so I think it is great for grecco and the clinch game.

Shit is not a demo as in - do this, I do that, it is a free flowing demo with just realtime reaction. Seriously, everyone interested should try this with someone that knows how to do it, you will be amazed what it can do to you. This plus MMA = massive.

Also I would make them train more sweeps and an agressive bottom game with lots of submission chains.
You might be right, but I am righter!
MrSlapp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby KingOfPancrase » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:15 pm

The staredown thing I agree with, all accept the Don Frye staredown gif. That is an example of WHAT NOT/what is wrong with staredowns. It's not about trying to kiss your fucking opponent.
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby rush2389 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I don't have time to post anything right now but I gotta say this is a great post so just wanted to give you some credit, one thing I will throw in is the use of the jab when standing on the feet. Also I wish every fighter would utilize shots to the body the way Diaz does, its a beautiful thing to watch and very under estimated especially with how physical an MMA match is. Crack a guys rib or just pound away at his liver and gut, see how much energy he has in the 3rd round 12-13mins into a fight.
HW: JDS
LHW:Johnny Bones Jones (NY Kidd)
MW:Anderson Silva
WW:Erick Silva, Nick Diaz
LW:Nate Diaz, Pettis
FW:Aldo
BW:Faber
rush2389
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby polito » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm

great post. I was just gonna say that fighters need to stop talking so much shit before the fights. I know some get a little pumped, but in the end, they always hug it out. The bad mouthing needs to stop and they need to be more respectful athletes.
HW:JDS, Big Nog, Fedor
LHW: Shogun, Machida, Liddell
MW: Hendo, Wandy, me!:)
WW: Diaz, Hendrix
LW: BJ, Nate Diaz
CAROLINA PANTHERS--CAM NEWTON.
polito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby prophet1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:25 pm

great thread! double leg fundamentals...
prophet1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

KingOfPancrase wrote:The staredown thing I agree with, all accept the Don Frye staredown gif. That is an example of WHAT NOT/what is wrong with staredowns. It's not about trying to kiss your fucking opponent.

I was not sure where to put it. In the end I thought that Frye is just too epic to go on any bad list.

rush2389 wrote:I don't have time to post anything right now but I gotta say this is a great post so just wanted to give you some credit, one thing I will throw in is the use of the jab when standing on the feet. Also I wish every fighter would utilize shots to the body the way Diaz does, its a beautiful thing to watch and very under estimated especially with how physical an MMA match is. Crack a guys rib or just pound away at his liver and gut, see how much energy he has in the 3rd round 12-13mins into a fight.

When I get some time I plan to add a Jab and Body Shot section, unless some one else wants to do it first. Maldonado has great body shots, even if the judges can't see them. He would also be in the "How to beat the Thai clinch" section. GSP and Penn have great jabs.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Next

Return to MMA Discussion