Close
Login
Register

post lifting protein

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Re: post lifting protein

Postby Mikal » Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 am

Lsquared wrote:^

i understand i just think sometimes too much emphasis is put on protein consumption in excess...

i have a buddy that puts like 3 scoops of powder in his shakes for like 60-70 grams of protein, when the body can only digest 20-40 grams per serving every couple of hours, the rest is just extra calories and hard on your kidneys.

i wasnt accusing you of being a bro mikal, im just referring to meatheads in general, iirc ive seen pics of you and you were pretty thin/skinny so not a typical meathead per se?

for the record best p4p protein is eggs, cottage cheese is second, but you have to watch the sodium intake and some people are lactose intolerant...

yeah i'm about 6'0 190, cutting to 180 for tough mudder. i used to be like.. 155 lbs, bulked up using the 1g/1lb ratio after like never being able to gain weight. i'm a pretty lean 190 too, didnt put on lots of fat.

obviously if you're eating more calories than you burn, you're gonna gain weight. as long as you're doing something, it'll work. some things will just work better or make the bulk easier, eating more protein is one of them.
= = =
Mikal's Top 25 Throwback Fights of All Time || Dagestan & Chechen MMA ||
Newest Prospect Watch: Max Nunes (updated: April 14th, 2013)
MMALinker's Discovered Prospects List || The Jacare Souza vs Roger Gracie BJJ Rivalry
= = =
Lost my Mark Hunt account bet. Not making a new account. Been fun, Linker! I'll be around chat on fight nights sometimes.
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Lsquared » Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 am

Mikal wrote:

i understand i just think sometimes too much emphasis is put on protein consumption in excess...

i have a buddy that puts like 3 scoops of powder in his shakes for like 60-70 grams of protein, when the body can only digest 20-40 grams per serving every couple of hours, the rest is just extra calories and hard on your kidneys.

i wasnt accusing you of being a bro mikal, im just referring to meatheads in general, iirc ive seen pics of you and you were pretty thin/skinny so not a typical meathead per se?

for the record best p4p protein is eggs, cottage cheese is second, but you have to watch the sodium intake and some people are lactose intolerant...

yeah i'm about 6'0 190, cutting to 180 for tough mudder. i used to be like.. 155 lbs, bulked up using the 1g/1lb ratio after like never being able to gain weight. i'm a pretty lean 190 too, didnt put on lots of fat.

obviously if you're eating more calories than you burn, you're gonna gain weight. as long as you're doing something, it'll work. some things will just work better or make the bulk easier, eating more protein is one of them.

branch chain amino acids are the building blocks of life and protein is duly important if someone wants to make gains and build lean muscle...
Truth Does Not Demand Belief
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Accolades: Former Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Postby Mikal » Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 am

Lsquared wrote:
Mikal wrote:

branch chain amino acids are the building blocks of life and protein is duly important if someone wants to make gains and build lean muscle...

don't forget beer and bacon. also 100% essential.
= = =
MMALinker's Discovered Prospects List || The Jacare Souza vs Roger Gracie BJJ Rivalry
= = =
Lost my Mark Hunt account bet. Not making a new account. Been fun, Linker! I'll be around chat on fight nights sometimes.
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby BerzerkerJr » Tue May 15, 2012 6:12 am

Truth is I'm personally too lazy to really start calculating what would make things easier and more effective. I'm blessed with good genes and a healthy appetite. Maybe when I'm a little older I will hafto start thinking more, probably.
BerzerkerJr
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby red_donn » Thu May 24, 2012 2:58 am

I eat roughly two pounds of meat per day. Haven't taken protein powder in over two years. That's not to say that it isn't good and useful stuff, but it doesn't work well for me directly before or after workouts. Gold Standard was always tasty and one of the better bang-for-the-buck blends back when I got it.

Whey protein within an hour of a workout makes me feel like taking a dump the whole time. Whey expands in the stomach, I believe, and I tend to train best when I have only eaten something small between 2.5-1.5 hours out from a workout. If I eat anything but light carbs within 30-45 minutes of the end of my workout it kills my appetite for about 2 hours, and I get less calories and protein from whole food in the long run.

Solution? When I finish getting dressed and driving home post-workout, it's already been an hour and I have me a nice steak. This also compliments research (not sponsored by supplement companies) that suggests that HGH increases in the body for 30-60 minutes post-workout, but will cease when calories begin coming in - I presume that has to do with insulin/cortisol levels.

I do plan on experimenting with some BCAA's, and picking up a copy of Lowery's book on the effects of high-protein diets on strength athletes for more knowledge on the subject.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby discoowl » Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 am

red_donn welcome back!
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Mikal » Thu May 24, 2012 7:22 pm

red_donn wrote:I eat roughly two pounds of meat per day. Haven't taken protein powder in over two years. That's not to say that it isn't good and useful stuff, but it doesn't work well for me directly before or after workouts. Gold Standard was always tasty and one of the better bang-for-the-buck blends back when I got it.

Whey protein within an hour of a workout makes me feel like taking a dump the whole time. Whey expands in the stomach, I believe, and I tend to train best when I have only eaten something small between 2.5-1.5 hours out from a workout. If I eat anything but light carbs within 30-45 minutes of the end of my workout it kills my appetite for about 2 hours, and I get less calories and protein from whole food in the long run.

Solution? When I finish getting dressed and driving home post-workout, it's already been an hour and I have me a nice steak. This also compliments research (not sponsored by supplement companies) that suggests that HGH increases in the body for 30-60 minutes post-workout, but will cease when calories begin coming in - I presume that has to do with insulin/cortisol levels.

I do plan on experimenting with some BCAA's, and picking up a copy of Lowery's book on the effects of high-protein diets on strength athletes for more knowledge on the subject.

I wouldn't bother with BCAA's. You get all you need from proper diet and even from most protein blends if you have one. They're also quite expensive. But yes, post workout meals are a must within an hour. I have my protein shake immediately after, then follow up with my biggest meal of the day.

Donn, since you brought up insulin, do you know much about "insulin spikes?" I've heard it talked about (I believe it's where you eat a lot of sugar after a workout to cause the spike?) but I don't know much about it
= = =
= = =
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby red_donn » Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Mikal wrote:
red_donn wrote:I eat roughly two pounds of meat per day. Haven't taken protein powder in over two years. That's not to say that it isn't good and useful stuff, but it doesn't work well for me directly before or after workouts. Gold Standard was always tasty and one of the better bang-for-the-buck blends back when I got it.

I wouldn't bother with BCAA's. You get all you need from proper diet and even from most protein blends if you have one. They're also quite expensive. But yes, post workout meals are a must within an hour. I have my protein shake immediately after, then follow up with my biggest meal of the day.

Donn, since you brought up insulin, do you know much about "insulin spikes?" I've heard it talked about (I believe it's where you eat a lot of sugar after a workout to cause the spike?) but I don't know much about it

Looking up meta-analyses of research, I haven't found anything that conclusively says a one-hour window is "essential." In point of fact, there is also research that shows that freshly damage muscle tissue is less efficient at picking up nutrients, which leaves a lot of this at square one until we compare the studies and their precise research methodology. Once I eliminate research sponsored by supplement companies and get some decent digging with proper sports/nutrition scientists, I can report back.

On insulin, there's a shit-ton of talk about it, but a lot of it again comes from people who obsess over the one-sentence conclusions of a couple of studies they never actually bothered to read. They then grossly over-generalize the results of super-specific lab work.

So no, I don't have a great grasp of the matter. If anyone talks about hormone management they have to bring up scientific studies or else they are bullshitting. This is problematic because you can find a study that appears to support almost any point of view.

I've heard people talking of studies that show that insulin sensitivity can somehow be decreased after workouts, though everyone says it is increased and you should therefore make use of carbs. Finding the study that shows a decrease could teach us much more about insulin once we compare it with the others to find common ground. Or else it was just a shit study.

So, beware googling this stuff unless you see lots of research citations.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn

Postby Robert_The_Line » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:12 am

iss oh yeah - orange and passionfruit flavour, its more like a juice when mixed with water cant recommend it more. its a really big change from choco, vanilla, strawberry etc.

i have it with ice cubes when its hot, which isnt a lot in the uk, its 20 grams of protein per serving 80 cals and zero carbs. the quality and juice type flavour make it a really viable 2nd whey isolate option

i usually take it mid morning with 500ml of water, 1 scoop 20 grams of protein 80 cals, this really is ideal for me low cal and keeps hunger locked up till lunch lol.

i also take it during workout be it mma or weights, sometimes combine it with abit of fresh orange. usually 250ml during - with a seperate bottle of water, then the rest once finished.
MMA/Submission Wrestling Trained By David Lee
Robert_The_Line
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Previous

Return to Nutrition