Close
Login
Register

Downsides to meal replacement shake?

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Downsides to meal replacement shake?

Postby Soo__Fuego » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Just cause how easy they are to make I decided to replace a meal a day (like lunch) with a meal replacement shake. Any drawbacks or anything I should be worried about?

Fyi I'm taking this.

Soo__Fuego
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Re: Downsides to meal replacement shake?

Postby Fearless6691 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:39 am

Optimum Nutrition has top notch products. This product is kind-of an odd ball of theirs but it gets the job done. Eating 5-6 times a day is vital. You drinking this shake will really help you as apposed to not eating at all. There are really no draw backs to it unless you are eating more then one serving. 35g of protein is just enough for one meal. The carbs and fats on the other hand could be a lot better. I would suggest eating a cheese stick or some almonds. How about some whole wheat crackers, a few slices of cheese, and this. Another great option to save time and increase convenience, which is what you are probably looking for, is peanut butter. Put some peanut butter in your shake and your carbs and fats are set too.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby slacker27 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 pm

I tried a couple a while back ago, one side effect was I would get gassy :oops:

I opted for just waking up an hour early to prepare my meals for the day
PIMPS UP FOE DOWN

WAR MMAACHEETAH
slacker27
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Mikal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Just remember shakes are supplementary drinks. Meaning they aren't supposed to be the only meals you eat. They're meant to supplement your means so you reach your daily protein/macros/etcetc. I wouldn't replace an important meal like lunch just because it's a more convenient time to eat a bigger meal, but it really doesn't matter as long as you get your daily macros in.
= = =
Mikal's Top 25 Throwback Fights of All Time || Dagestan & Chechen MMA ||
Newest Prospect Watch: Max Nunes (updated: April 14th, 2013)
MMALinker's Discovered Prospects List || The Jacare Souza vs Roger Gracie BJJ Rivalry
= = =
Lost my Mark Hunt account bet. Not making a new account. Been fun, Linker! I'll be around chat on fight nights sometimes.
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Soo__Fuego » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:30 am

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

slacker27 wrote:I tried a couple a while back ago, one side effect was I would get gassy :oops:

Some other brands did get me a bit bloated, this one has not so far.
Soo__Fuego
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby JonB » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Depending on your goals, just try to balance how many kcals you may be missing since most meal replacement shakes may not compensate for the number of calories you might be having in a normal meal.

I'm doing the same.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 pm

JonB wrote:Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Depending on your goals, just try to balance how many kcals you may be missing since most meal replacement shakes may not compensate for the number of calories you might be having in a normal meal.

I'm doing the same.

I agree
Slip a banana and some almonds something in with your shake and your golden. Bananas are great and the almonds will have plenty of calories from the fat.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JonB » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 am

Fearless6691 wrote:
JonB wrote:Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Depending on your goals, just try to balance how many kcals you may be missing since most meal replacement shakes may not compensate for the number of calories you might be having in a normal meal.

I'm doing the same.

I agree
Slip a banana and some almonds something in with your shake and your golden. Bananas are great and the almonds will have plenty of calories from the fat.

Great suggestions! I was planning on adding almond butter and bananas myself to up the carbs and calories in mine.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Soo__Fuego » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:12 pm

If Im running super late, I just throw some chilled water and protein powder in the shaker cup and run to the car.

But for the most part, Ill do the protein powder, a banana, greek yogurt and lil dab of cinnamon. Freakin delicious!!!!
Soo__Fuego
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby JohnKG » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Soo__Fuego wrote:If Im running super late, I just throw some chilled water and protein powder in the shaker cup and run to the car.

But for the most part, Ill do the protein powder, a banana, greek yogurt and lil dab of cinnamon. Freakin delicious!!!!

The greek yogurt actually sounds like a really good idea.. Should thicken up the shake too! I'll have to try implementing this.
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Soo__Fuego » Sun May 06, 2012 11:30 pm

JohnKG wrote:
Soo__Fuego wrote:If Im running super late, I just throw some chilled water and protein powder in the shaker cup and run to the car.

The greek yogurt actually sounds like a really good idea.. Should thicken up the shake too! I'll have to try implementing this.

Yeah the banana and greek yogurt do take away the watery feel of it. Gives the shake a nice weight, your stomach feels satisfied but not weighed down.
Soo__Fuego
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby ballsmcgee » Mon May 28, 2012 12:31 pm

i've been doing this too between breakfast and lunch. I never seem to eat fruit, so i use this as an opportunity to throw fruit in. My shakes typically consist of: ~30g whey, 3tbsp flaxseed meal, 1/2 cup blueberry, 6-8 strawberries, 1 banana, a handfull of spinach (1/2-3/4 cup packed), and enough orange juice to bring about the proper consistency. The spinach/flax seed gives it a god awful color, but it tastes pretty good.
mmaisbetterthancorn wrote:I actually take the time too educated myself.

ballsmcgee
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Nutrition