Close
Login
Register

Dominick Cruz Striking

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Dominick Cruz Striking

Postby SamuraixJack » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:05 am

Stupid Thread but IDGAF cuz i tried his actual style today when i was sparring and it kinda works. The constant back and forth movement of your feet lead your opponent off. I didnt do EVERYTHING he did because im 190 and he's like 130. What i did focus on was

1. My feints and where i place them (i.e before or after i attack with something)

2. The constant footwork and never letting your opponent figure which stance you are going to place yourself in for the entire fight.

The only negatives i really saw/felt were.

1. The whole "stamina" issue - At times i had to stop and do the whole "deep breath" thing, but it hardly helped me, so i ended up back pedaling alot.

2. Less guard for attacks- this is the biggest thing for me. Because His style (or the style itself) relies so much on constant movement and feints, you need to keep your hands out and free. Regardless of who your facing thats a bad thing, that means more opportunities for them to strike your, basically anywhere except the chin, which will happen eventually if you are not careful or have good instincts.

SO, feedback please!

BOW TO THE KING
SamuraixJack
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Re: Dominick Cruz Striking

Postby SamuraixJack » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:18 am

and i will upload a video soon when i get a chance.

BOW TO THE KING
SamuraixJack
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby JonB » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 am

I think if you have the attributes for his style, then it can definitely work out well. I think the important thing is really to be able to overwhelm your opponent with your speed and/or those attributes you mentioned. Feints, footwork, etc.
I feel as though the gaps lie with someone that has some way of matching you. Whether it's speed, counters, and so on. I wouldn't say Urijah beat Dominick, but if you notice in that fight, Urijah had the speed that posed problems at times.

It's not a bad style if you know how to use it though, and after overwhelming your opponent for a few rounds it might leave an opening for a KO, especially with you being at 190.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby slacker27 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 am

awesome style of fighting, its a shame it takes super human cardio to even think of doing it for the whole fight
PIMPS UP FOE DOWN

WAR MMAACHEETAH
slacker27
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby BakMan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 am

slacker27 wrote:awesome style of fighting, its a shame it takes super human cardio to even think of doing it for the whole fight

That's pretty much it, if you gas your fucked
Favourite Fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, BJ Penn, Dominic Cruz, Brock Lesnar
BakMan
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Return to Stand Up