Close
Login
Register

Difference?

Discuss the gear and equipment you have used to be successful

Difference?

Postby holdemdown » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 am

If there is a difference....but what is the difference between the "robes" or whatever you call them (no disrespect) in a wthie robe and a blue one... someone has a sig of P. Filho wearing a white robe and a blue robe.. with his black belt JJ. :mrgreen:

blue gi's are usually used in judo... usually doesn't mean much of anything. i wear a black gi, i just always have since i was purple, i just don't like wearing white.
Favorite FIghters:
HW: Big Nog, Carwin and Fedor
LHW: Rampage, Wandy and Hendo
MW: Hendo
WW: GSP, Alves
LW: BJ, Spencer F.
holdemdown
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Re: Difference?

Postby agonzalez1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 am

holdemdown wrote:If there is a difference....but what is the difference between the "robes" or whatever you call them (no disrespect) in a wthie robe and a blue one... someone has a sig of P. Filho wearing a white robe and a blue robe.. with his black belt JJ. :mrgreen:

it's a "Gi" and it's for distinction in competition. If two guys look similar in stature, the gi makes it clear.
agonzalez1
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Hall of Famer

Postby Oldtoby420 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:08 pm

Hum never knew that but I also heard that the master / sensei usually wears a grey gi in some martial arts one being karate.
Oldtoby420 aka Blacklotu5
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby sammcl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:03 am

holdemdown wrote:If there is a difference....but what is the difference between the "robes" or whatever you call them (no disrespect) in a wthie robe and a blue one... someone has a sig of P. Filho wearing a white robe and a blue robe.. with his black belt JJ. :mrgreen:

blue gi's are usually used in judo... usually doesn't mean much of anything. i wear a black gi, i just always have since i was purple, i just don't like wearing white.

Some schools only allow certain colours. In Judo, you're only usually allowed blue or white, my JJ school only allows black, and BJJ I wear white.
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Headhunter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:52 am

it's usually a school specific thing, and it usually has to do with tradition... i started off doing regular jiu-jitsu and everyone purple or higher had a black gi (but you could really wear any color you wanted, we even had a guy with a pink gi), so when i transitioned to BJJ with my black gi i got weird looks and "why do you wear a black gi" questions for about 2 months since in BJJ everyone wears a white gi and in tournaments it's the belt that has different colors. i still wear a black gi if i'm going to do gi jiu-jitsu but only because i have 1 and i'm stingy on money and i don't usually do gi unless it's just to fuck around and come up with new moves
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Return to Gear and Equipment