Close
Login
Register

Wrestling/Jiu - jitsu

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Wrestling/Jiu - jitsu

Postby slevin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm confused in what it is that im watching on the ground? When a fighter controls a another fighter on the ground is that wrestling or jiu jitsu? Bc I was watching Evans vs Bisping and Rashad had a hard time controlling Bisping. But Sonnen has no difficulty controlling Okami or Dan Miller. Same with Rampage had hard time controlling Machida. And how come some wrestlers have a hard time getting off their backs while others dont? If a figther can get off their back is are they using wrestling or jiu jitsu? And how come some wrestlers have a hard time defending submissions(sonnen) while others dont (guida or evans)?
Sigbet: 51-35-4

Title Bets: 1-1

I actually picked this fucking guy over Nate Diaz lmao. When dipset speaks, listen.
slevin
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: 1st ever Draft Style Pick Em Champion
The Last Man Standing: Royal Rumble Champ
Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champ
2014 MMALinker Grand Prix Winner
Survivor
Grand Prix Survivor Champion
Fantasy A-League Champion: May 2018, Nov 2018, Jan/Feb 2020
Fantasy B-League Champion: Dec 2017
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2017
2017 Fantasy Fix GP Champion

Re: Wrestling/Jiu - jitsu

Postby Fearless6691 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:33 pm

slevin wrote:I'm confused in what it is that im watching on the ground? When a fighter controls a another fighter on the ground is that wrestling or jiu jitsu? Bc I was watching Evans vs Bisping and Rashad had a hard time controlling Bisping. But Sonnen has no difficulty controlling Okami or Dan Miller. Same with Rampage had hard time controlling Machida. And how come some wrestlers have a hard time getting off their backs while others dont? If a figther can get off their back is are they using wrestling or jiu jitsu? And how come some wrestlers have a hard time defending submissions(sonnen) while others dont (guida or evans)?

Sonnen is a lot more of a wrestler then a Mixed Martial Artist, that can leave him getting submitted quite a bit. Also, Sonnen likes to stay lose in guard which is never good either. Guida and Evans both trained at Jackson, one of the best MMA camps, with great BJJ coaches. Quite simply they are just training in BJJ and wrestling a lot more then just wrestling.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Wrestling/Jiu - jitsu

Postby GCDooD909 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:43 pm

You're watching submission grappling, neither wrestling or JJ. Submission grappling is a combination of all clinch and ground techniques. You can't really differentiate between the sports in MMA because you need specific rule sets to accommodate each individual type of grappling.
GCDooD909
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Ground Game