Close
Login
Register

Tips for beginning

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Tips for beginning

Postby froehtrain » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm

I am an 18 kid who just graduated from high school and I am getting ready to go to college. I wrestled in high school and was voted Most Valuable my senior year and im now thinking hard about joining a gym and training. For now its just for fun and to learn and to have something to do but i could try to compete eventually but idk. I am just posting this for anyone who would have any tips for me, they would be very appreciated. Also I am wondering if anyone knows of any good gyms around the Omaha, NE area. i doubt it because I dont think many ppl on here live around Nebraska but its worth a shot. Thanks
froehtrain
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I would say if you enjoyed wrestling then go and train some MMA, BJJ or Judo if you can. Whether you want to compete or just have something fun to do it is a great time. I think there are like 30+ martial arts training places around Omaha, do a quick google search and look into some of the places. I would see if they have a trial class you can attend and meet some of the trainers and maybe other students and see if you like it. Having a gym you enjoy is one of the most important decisions you can make. Other than that you can check out our ground game, stand up and conditioning + Strength training forums here for lots of good articles and advice.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

Image

JHM
LHK
User avatar
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus
 
Posts: 23183
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:15 am
Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby biggs7a » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Well since your a wrestler you should train some BJJ because you would pick it up easily,and then some striking after.
User avatar
biggs7a
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby TyXcellenceMMA » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:20 pm

I would say take a pure kickboxing or muaythai class along with an mma class to apply those skills to mma as well as your wrestling skills. Having a strong base is very important and then it is easy to adjust those skills learned to best suit mma style of fighting.
TyXcellenceMMA
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby Fearless6691 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Being a wresler is going to help you out huge man. You guys are use to long grueling practices and you already know how to take people down. Take downs are huge because if you are getting beat up, you can take them down and if your losing there you can get back up. Never get away from your wrestling base, drill submission defenses and how to get to side control lol. Just learn everything there is to learn and remove your "MVP Chip" you had in highschool off your shoulder, or you will most likely not be liked in the gym.
Image
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
User avatar
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby Dan the Polar Bear » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 pm

biggs7a wrote:Well since your a wrestler you should train some BJJ because you would pick it up easily,and then some striking after.


See I completely disagree; since he already has a good ground base he'd do better to develop the rest of the game and supplement it with some more ground.

Boxing is where I'd start, as it will get you doing a lot of equally offensive and defensive movement that no other martial art really touches on much and will just get you light and explosive on your feet in general.
Germaine de Randamie
Aldo
Bendo/Pettis
GSP
Silva
Bones Jones
Alistair Overeem
User avatar
Dan the Polar Bear
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: Duluth, GA

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby froehtrain » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Fearless6691 wrote:Being a wresler is going to help you out huge man. You guys are use to long grueling practices and you already know how to take people down. Take downs are huge because if you are getting beat up, you can take them down and if your losing there you can get back up. Never get away from your wrestling base, drill submission defenses and how to get to side control lol. Just learn everything there is to learn and remove your "MVP Chip" you had in highschool off your shoulder, or you will most likely not be liked in the gym.


I didnt mean the whole MVP thing to come across like that but I understand what your saying
froehtrain
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Tips for beginning

Postby Fearless6691 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:05 pm

froehtrain wrote:
Fearless6691 wrote:Being a wresler is going to help you out huge man. You guys are use to long grueling practices and you already know how to take people down. Take downs are huge because if you are getting beat up, you can take them down and if your losing there you can get back up. Never get away from your wrestling base, drill submission defenses and how to get to side control lol. Just learn everything there is to learn and remove your "MVP Chip" you had in highschool off your shoulder, or you will most likely not be liked in the gym.


I didnt mean the whole MVP thing to come across like that but I understand what your saying

Yeah I know, but just don't mention it when you first get there. I am probably the best BJJ guy at my gym right now, and I can tell a kid who wrestled in highschool within the first 10 seconds of rolling with him. They will most likely talk to you about it after a few times in the gym. It will impress them that for your age your humble and mature you know?
Image
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
User avatar
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 pm


Return to Stand Up

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users