Close
Login
Register

question: neck cranks

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

question: neck cranks

Postby jef_jon_son » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:53 pm

in bjj class the other day, i did a move and the guy claimed neck crank. i didn't think of it as a neck crank, but as i research it, i think it might be, it is definitely questionable.

i learned it from "Bas ruttons's take downs, set ups and ground fighting" video technique # 20 that is all it called, he did not call it a neck crank, like he does some.

it is sort of like the "cattle catch" from ground-game/crucifix-neck-crank-t17000.html?hilit=neck%20cranks#p386340
except i have double underhooks and his head is under my armpit. my body off to the side, sit out lift hips.
i thought of it more as a chest compressor because i was not targeting his neck, i would not have done it if i knew it was a neck crank officially.

it was a controlled move, slow and deliberate. there wasnt a chance of him getting hurt through recklessness.
(on a side note, all his guillotine attempts on me feel like neck cranks, and he is ruff and flail-ie at times, uses explosive energy etcetra, and i have walked away with a fat lip, or elbowed eye, no biggie, just sayen)

he is a blue who competes in gi and no gi all the time, where as i dont and i am a white belt, that draws on lots of video resources.
he made a small scene, and i am already kind of an outsider there (though i dont want to be)

am i the ass?
do any of you have any insight into the nuances of neck cranks and etiquette, like bad form chokes that turn into neck cranks vs official neck crank techniques.
how does this kinda stuff get handles at your gym or dojo or whatever?
Thanks guys.
jef_jon_son
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: question: neck cranks

Postby kylewashere » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Tell him to stop being a bitch or you'll put him in another neck crank. There isn't anything wrong with them done as slow and methodical, its just something you can't get crazy with and just use force.

There are some sick ones out there that should be used more.
kylewashere
White Belt
White Belt

Postby jef_jon_son » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks.
jef_jon_son
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 pm

There isn't anything wrong with any sub unless you jerk it like a retard. If you roll without subs and don't drill certain subs, you won't be able do do them in competition. We do everything and nobody bitches. I only go "really dude?" when guys start slamming me or are trying their hardest to get the tap and just so full of ego.

I always roll with this one guy who started at the same time as me and he thinks there's some kind of competition between us. He doesn't know I trained for a year a couple years ago and always gets so mad when I tap him. He's become a huge keener now, trying to look super tough and doing all the moves super fast and wrong. Last week he was in my guard, picks me up outta nowhere, runs towards the cage and slams me down as hard as he can. I'm like "wtf man relax."

Unless your instructor specifically bans certain subs, everything is fair game.
TheAssassin
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Postby Fearless6691 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:41 pm

TheAssassin wrote:There isn't anything wrong with any sub unless you jerk it like a retard. If you roll without subs and don't drill certain subs, you won't be able do do them in competition. We do everything and nobody bitches. I only go "really dude?" when guys start slamming me or are trying their hardest to get the tap and just so full of ego.

I always roll with this one guy who started at the same time as me and he thinks there's some kind of competition between us. He doesn't know I trained for a year a couple years ago and always gets so mad when I tap him. He's become a huge keener now, trying to look super tough and doing all the moves super fast and wrong. Last week he was in my guard, picks me up outta nowhere, runs towards the cage and slams me down as hard as he can. I'm like "wtf man relax."

Unless your instructor specifically bans certain subs, everything is fair game.

There is a guy like this at every gym, they are called try hards. They don't learn anything rolling. I don't like it when guys hold on to farmboy chokes or crazy neckcranks because they are not very practical in MMA.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby trappa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 am

If it was slow and controlled then no harm at all.
I was training with a newbie (for want of a better word) and we were practising a variety leg locks and holds when he, thinking he was hard as f*ck, all of a sudden twists my leg and does some damage that i really didnt need. I was well pissed with him as i was limping for weeks.
So, playing devils advocate, he may be thinking you were going to do similar. I reckon collaring him and having a word, get through to him you were in no way going to give the neck a sudden yank.I mean, if you cant practise your holds and submissions in a controlled manner in class, where the f*ck can you!?!
Respect
I can perform miracles. I just dont want to.
trappa
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby jef_jon_son » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:35 pm

i did some research on neck cranks got more educated.
and i did pull him aside and talk to him, he said it was cool, but he is still guarded, and once i was done with my little spiel, that was that. i feel better about it.
i appreciate the responses - war linkers.
jef_jon_son
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Ground Game