Close
Login
Register

A serious question

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Please read post before voting

Muay Thai
45%
Western Boxing
31%
Sanda
2%
Wing Chun
10%
Karate
2%
Western KickBoxing
4%
Savate
2%
TKD
No votes
Other(Please Specify)
4%

Total votes : 49

Re: A serious question

Postby TheAssassin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:33 pm

SKS wrote:Just an update. I started taking boxing classes. I took a break to have a baby and then got right back into it. Boxing has been fun and I think I am picking it up quickly :lol: There is a a few guys who train other styles at my gym and I have been mulling over talking to the guy who trained Sanda for 6 years. Obviously that would be less formal and less intense do to time constraints and the fact that he is not a teacher per say but just a guy who knows a lot of the techniques. On a semi-related note I am up to 118lbs :biggrin:

I was going to say, with a judo base, boxing will likely give you the most success. The wide leg stance would lend itself well to tosses and the like, and with a judo background maybe, just maybe the large stance won't hurt your chances of being taken down. The only problem is kicks. They're getting more popular in amateur MMA shows in my opinion, so I'd suggest at least a few months of Muay Thai just to get the basic checks, swipes, distance changes and hand positions for everything just so you know enough to defend and work more fully with the hands.
TheAssassin
4th Professional Linker Victory

Postby SKS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 pm

TheAssassin wrote:
SKS wrote:Just an update. I started taking boxing classes. I took a break to have a baby and then got right back into it. Boxing has been fun and I think I am picking it up quickly :lol: There is a a few guys who train other styles at my gym and I have been mulling over talking to the guy who trained Sanda for 6 years. Obviously that would be less formal and less intense do to time constraints and the fact that he is not a teacher per say but just a guy who knows a lot of the techniques. On a semi-related note I am up to 118lbs :biggrin:

I was going to say, with a judo base, boxing will likely give you the most success. The wide leg stance would lend itself well to tosses and the like, and with a judo background maybe, just maybe the large stance won't hurt your chances of being taken down. The only problem is kicks. They're getting more popular in amateur MMA shows in my opinion, so I'd suggest at least a few months of Muay Thai just to get the basic checks, swipes, distance changes and hand positions for everything just so you know enough to defend and work more fully with the hands.

That's solid advice. I will work one of the styles with kicks for a little while if only for the kick defense. I have seen boxers get lit up by kicks and would rather not have that happen to me :lol:
..........................................................Triley: PhD in Awesome.................................................
The Rumble in Vermont: Kamberovic Vs. Zelenoff - Bordello FMT Rules
SKS
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 pm

If anything you could always do this:

TheAssassin

Postby SKS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 pm

TheAssassin wrote:If anything you could always do this:

Can I use better form? I think I might hurt myself attempting to dump someone all willy nilly :lol:
..........................................................Triley: PhD in Awesome.................................................
SKS
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 pm

SKS wrote:

Can I use better form? I think I might hurt myself attempting to dump someone all willy nilly :lol:

I'm a firm believer in the idea that the less technical and more furious and savage a move looks, the better it is for the judges.

Example: Overeem tossing you aside like his bitch, then getting all up in your grill > textbook double leg.
TheAssassin

Postby SKS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 pm

TheAssassin wrote:
SKS wrote:

I'm a firm believer in the idea that the less technical and more furious and savage a move looks, the better it is for the judges.

Example: Overeem tossing you aside like his bitch, then getting all up in your grill > textbook double leg.

I will have to keep that in mind if/when I finally start fighting.
SKS
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:04 am

not to be contrary for the sake of it - but the majority of the poll suggest muay thai / kickboxing and the like. I'm not sure if you want to train for fun or comp. but using these styles even a wrestling style will be great aginst other woman, and I don't mean this is chauvinist sense - but against men for self-defense - clinching or using style which pits your strength against there's ie. boxing / kickboxing / karate etc...will end badly imo. Again, I would sugegst a style that foces on using your opponents strength against them and not in a clinch / throwing sense (eg. judo). I mean something like a combination of akido with a striking style (krav maga) or....wing chun
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 am

discoowl wrote:not to be contrary for the sake of it - but the majority of the poll suggest muay thai / kickboxing and the like. I'm not sure if you want to train for fun or comp. but using these styles even a wrestling style will be great aginst other woman, and I don't mean this is chauvinist sense - but against men for self-defense - clinching or using style which pits your strength against there's ie. boxing / kickboxing / karate etc...will end badly imo. Again, I would sugegst a style that foces on using your opponents strength against them and not in a clinch / throwing sense (eg. judo). I mean something like a combination of akido with a striking style (krav maga) or....wing chun

The problem is she doesn't know her opponents strengths or weaknesses, so it's best to get the most general jack of all trades skills for oneself. She should build up her own basic skill set intelligently before trying to tailor herself into fighting one specific opponent. Yes, if she only boxes, kick-boxers will give her trouble, but if she does Muay Thai her hands won't be as good as if she just boxes and hands are used almost 10:1 more than kicks.

IDEALLY she'd become a good enough boxer to close distance safely, a good enough wrestler or clinch technician to take them down and a good enough submission grappler to submit or maintain a dominant position.

Judging by the judo she's at 35%% in the TD's/clinch, 15% (my assumption) in the submissions, positions, transitions ground game and well... 0% in the stand-up.
TheAssassin

Postby SKS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:57 pm

TheAssassin wrote:
discoowl wrote:not to be contrary for the sake of it - but the majority of the poll suggest muay thai / kickboxing and the like. I'm not sure if you want to train for fun or comp. but using these styles even a wrestling style will be great aginst other woman, and I don't mean this is chauvinist sense - but against men for self-defense - clinching or using style which pits your strength against there's ie. boxing / kickboxing / karate etc...will end badly imo. Again, I would sugegst a style that foces on using your opponents strength against them and not in a clinch / throwing sense (eg. judo). I mean something like a combination of akido with a striking style (krav maga) or....wing chun

The problem is she doesn't know her opponents strengths or weaknesses, so it's best to get the most general jack of all trades skills for oneself. She should build up her own basic skill set intelligently before trying to tailor herself into fighting one specific opponent. Yes, if she only boxes, kick-boxers will give her trouble, but if she does Muay Thai her hands won't be as good as if she just boxes and hands are used almost 10:1 more than kicks.

IDEALLY she'd become a good enough boxer to close distance safely, a good enough wrestler or clinch technician to take them down and a good enough submission grappler to submit or maintain a dominant position.

Judging by the judo she's at 35%% in the TD's/clinch, 15% (my assumption) in the submissions, positions, transitions ground game and well... 0% in the stand-up.

I am more than competent in self defense. I train Judo with primarily men 30-70lbs heavier than myself and can ragdoll my man who is 110lbs heavier than I am.

I also think people missed the BB in Kosen Judo. It is essentially the same thing as BJJ so my mat skills are more than a match for the majority of female fighters in MMA.
SKS
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Self defense skills are practically useless in MMA. They rely too much on groin strikes, eye gouges, fish hooks, hair pulls, etc etc. And by their own admission are defensive. Self defense = Distract and Escape, not attack and beat the shit out of. And not to be sexist but generally when females first start striking, it's the worst thing in the world to watch. It's like there's no relation to "Oh, I saw so and so pro boxer punching like this, so I'll try to emulate that because it's probably right," and no kinetic linking whatsoever.

As good as your ground skills may be, it's still training in the gi, which is a point of division right now in the grappling community, but IMO no gi > gi for MMA. It lessens your entire arsenal of submissions and sweeps and overall control over your opponent when you can't hold on to their pajamas. Others will disagree, but it just seems to make logical sense to me. If you fight without it, you should train without it. No gi training is an absolute must for MMA.

This is all pretty much conjecture on my part. Without seeing you grapple or strike before I can only make assumptions based off the things I've seen at my gym with female fighters.
TheAssassin

Postby SKS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:29 pm

TheAssassin wrote:Self defense skills are practically useless in MMA. They rely too much on groin strikes, eye gouges, fish hooks, hair pulls, etc etc. And by their own admission are defensive. Self defense = Distract and Escape, not attack and beat the shit out of. And not to be sexist but generally when females first start striking, it's the worst thing in the world to watch. It's like there's no relation to "Oh, I saw so and so pro boxer punching like this, so I'll try to emulate that because it's probably right," and no kinetic linking whatsoever.

As good as your ground skills may be, it's still training in the gi, which is a point of division right now in the grappling community, but IMO no gi > gi for MMA. It lessens your entire arsenal of submissions and sweeps and overall control over your opponent when you can't hold on to their pajamas. Others will disagree, but it just seems to make logical sense to me. If you fight without it, you should train without it. No gi training is an absolute must for MMA.

This is all pretty much conjecture on my part. Without seeing you grapple or strike before I can only make assumptions based off the things I've seen at my gym with female fighters.

I am partial to Gi training because you have to rely on technique more to stay out of subs. Brute strength is relied on far less. However, I have almost 2 years of no gi training to supplement the rest of my training so I am not a fish out of water.
SKS
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Stand Up