Close
Login
Register

Boxing Jab VS MMA Jab

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Boxing Jab VS MMA Jab

Postby davidfitness83 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am

I started going to this boxing gym, it's far from a legit boxing gym though it's a bit of everything, BJJ, Thai boxing, Boxing etc.. anyhow, this was my second time here and now that I am actually in good shape I was able to be focused and be there mentally to learn something lol

So the coach wants you to throw the jabs keeping the support leg completely stiff while reaching forward with the lead hand and using your back leg to push forward. Now, I am not trying to become a boxer or anything like that, but I am learning self deffense and I like sparring for fun. If I was to keep my support straight and stiff that could leave me open to get taken down or kicked on that leg? I watched clips of different MMA fighters and for the most part, when inside the range no fighter keeps their support leg like that. I even looked at some GSP highlights since he is known to have a very decent jab in the MMA game and he keeps his base low with both legs bent. Can anyone explain to me if I make any sense and if in fact a boxing jab is different from a MMA jab?

thank you
davidfitness83
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Boxing Jab VS MMA Jab

Postby beastman4 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 pm

By MMA jab do you mean Muay Thai jab since Muay Thai is the common striking style used in MMA? Leaning back on the back leg sounds like a boxing jab. In Muay Thai leaning on the back leg while jabbing isn't a good thing because you aren't suppose to disrupt your balance, it will lead to your opponent being able to kick you and you not being able to defend the kick properly. You need to keep a good balance constantly in Muay Thai so you can defend kicks and return to your stance, if you are off balance and defend you won't be able to return to your proper stance correctly which could lead to a knockdown by kick or eating a punch.
beastman4
White Belt
White Belt

Postby davidfitness83 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Perhaps I can call it a Thai jab according to your observation of the striking style utilized in MMA. I drew a doodle displaying what he meant, hopefully you see what I mean.

davidfitness83
White Belt
White Belt

Postby beastman4 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:22 am

davidfitness83 wrote:Perhaps I can call it a Thai jab according to your observation of the striking style utilized in MMA. I drew a doodle displaying what he meant, hopefully you see what I mean.

Oh yeah, that's boxing. If you are worried about takedowns not the best route to go but if you learn some good takedown defense I guess it wouldn't really matter what jab you use. Plus everything has its pros and cons, that jab is more susceptible to takedowns but can generate more power than a Muay Thai jab.
beastman4
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Stand Up