Close
Login
Register

Flow of MMA striking and Boxing

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Flow of MMA striking and Boxing

Postby mfieolo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm

So everyone here that has ever sparred in boxing and mma knows the difficulty it actually is to find your reach in an mma session. For me in boxing it is very easy for me to connect and actually focus on my distance and power also the head movement and position in the ring. In mma its hard for me to really find a comfortable distance to start teeing off like I would in a boxing match. In mma I gotta worry about head kicks, take downs, cage positioning, and knees. So for people with experience in sparring whats the best way for you to find your distance in an mma fight for your boxing technique?
Diaz is the next Ali of Fighting
mfieolo
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Flow of MMA striking and Boxing

Postby captainahab » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Yeah dude I had the same problem but in reverse. I was at the boxing gym sparring last night and I caught a few good combos. I've got a fight against a wrestler coming up, so I've been doing a lot of wrestling defense and clinch/dirty boxing striking. When I got into the ring with the big gloves and the outboxing I found it was a lot harder than I remembered. I did good if we clinched up, and kept him away with jabs and stuff, but when he came inside and threw long combos he would land hard. I think it's just a matter of what you're more used to at the moment. Right now I'm more used to having a hands on approach and striking from wrestling positions, I do much better with mma rules and small gloves, from what you put it seems like you've got the opposite thing going on. I guess we gotta work more with that other thing to get better at it. Any tips you can help me out with would be appreciated.
captainahab
White Belt
White Belt

Postby mfieolo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:27 pm

yeah with boxing I can focus better I think with MMA sparring since the gloves are smaller more punches will pull through. In boxing you can throw right cross and walk in easily and block and then start teeing off. I'm going to practice MMA boxing right now, see if I can walk in and block straight punches. Hooks would be a lot harder to catch.
Diaz is the next Ali of Fighting
mfieolo
White Belt
White Belt

Postby snitsky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:32 pm

i think the reach depend on who you fight.its the guy is a kickboxer stay close to nullify his kicks and against a boxer/wrestler you have to stay at distance .
snitsky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Tek9 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:14 am

Yup, don't let the boxer get full mount XD. Just gonna throw that out here.
"Only through the hacker's mind, can you achieve greater knowledge", Tek9
Tek9
White Belt
White Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:59 pm

MMA is much more like fencing (without a sword) than it is boxing. It only takes one punch and it is much harder to block those punches. Instead of trying to block the punches try to slip side to side and use your angles to get into your range. If you are having trouble keeping people away don't forget your jab, and circle out of trouble (I like hooks while doing so).
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby RubenATC » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 pm

irishmike357 wrote:MMA is much more like fencing (without a sword) than it is boxing. It only takes one punch and it is much harder to block those punches. Instead of trying to block the punches try to slip side to side and use your angles to get into your range. If you are having trouble keeping people away don't forget your jab, and circle out of trouble (I like hooks while doing so).

Yeah footwork can help you a lot, its really hard to cover up with mma gloves so I think the main thing you have to do is to control the range and move in and out as you thrown punches
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby beastman4 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:18 pm

irishmike357 wrote:MMA is much more like fencing (without a sword) than it is boxing. It only takes one punch and it is much harder to block those punches. Instead of trying to block the punches try to slip side to side and use your angles to get into your range. If you are having trouble keeping people away don't forget your jab, and circle out of trouble (I like hooks while doing so).

Glad I'm not the only one who realized this. The best defense is knowing and practicing range, how you can move in and out of your opponent's reach.
beastman4
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Stand Up