Close
Login
Register

Basic standup starting equitpment

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Basic standup starting equitpment

Postby D-RawK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm

So I have to get a freestanding heavybag because I have to keep it outside. I found one on craigslist. Its a waverider xxl freestanding. Only $150. Any way I can test if its worth buying first though? Id really like a new one at a good price so if anyone has any sites let me know.

I also want something to work on speed and accuracy. Speed bag and double end are out because I have to hook them up. My only choice seems to be a reflex bag, but people say those are too slow. Mabye theres a really good brand one people have good things to say about?

thanks in advanced.
--------------------------------------
THE SHOGUN ERA IS HERE. 19-3 FS
War Wandy Shogun Nog Brothers Fedor Arlovski Jardine Cro Cop Leben Maia Hazelett ABBOTT Gracies Mayhem Smith
D-RawK
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Basic standup starting equitpment

Postby BWR450 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:25 am

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-70-l ... t/12569425
Its what Im going to buy and hook up to my tree outside. Comes with gloves and is really cheap...hope I helped.
BWR450
White Belt
White Belt

Postby D-RawK » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I hear stay away from everlast. I never though about attaching it to my tree. I really dont think a 70-100 lb bag will stay on a tree branch long especially with weathering.

Im stuck between either getting a big stand heavy bag or a freestanding one.
The ones on the stand I cant circle and im gonna have to wait for the bag to be swinging away.
The freestanding one is more expensive, but i dont know if it will help my punch/kick strength/speed as much as a hanging weighted bag. Heres the freestanding im looking at. check the description.
http://www.target.com/s?keywords=wavema ... =sr_bx_1_1

edit: just found this on youtube. seems perfect but the price is steep.
War Wandy Shogun Nog Brothers Fedor Arlovski Jardine Cro Cop Leben Maia Hazelett ABBOTT Gracies Mayhem Smith
D-RawK
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby BWR450 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 pm

D-RawK wrote:I hear stay away from everlast. I never though about attaching it to my tree. I really dont think a 70-100 lb bag will stay on a tree branch long especially with weathering.

The ones on the stand I cant circle and im gonna have to wait for the bag to be swinging away.
The freestanding one is more expensive, but i dont know if it will help my punch/kick strength/speed as much as a hanging weighted bag. Heres the freestanding im looking at. check the description.

Whats wrong with Everlast?
BWR450
White Belt
White Belt

Postby D-RawK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Apparently they dont hold up well. Dont go by my words alone though. Its just what Ive read on the forums.
D-RawK
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby JohnKG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

BWR450 wrote:
D-RawK wrote:I hear stay away from everlast. I never though about attaching it to my tree. I really dont think a 70-100 lb bag will stay on a tree branch long especially with weathering.

They've developed a reputation for the sand in their bags settling at the bottom of the bag overtime and feeling like a cement block at the lower half and pillows for the upper...
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby bigbran » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 pm

JohnKG wrote:
BWR450 wrote:

They've developed a reputation for the sand in their bags settling at the bottom of the bag overtime and feeling like a cement block at the lower half and pillows for the upper...

Yes. One of mine is like a rock at the bottom, but I've gotten used to it (although it bruises my shins all the time), and my other one just has one piece where it's really really hard. The rest of the bag is good though, but I have one weak shin/ankle due to sprain/break and it's got tears and bruises from the bag. The first time I caught that though with my hand it was like punching a brick wall. I got used to it a bit, but still, it's there and it's not going anywhere.

Both are Everlast. The one with just the one piece of sand is more consistently hard all around, and the other one is like you described.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:Most fighters would have just fallen to the ground, but brock was able to stay on his feet by using that spin move. It IS impressive. Sure it made for a funny gif, but otherwise it was a great display of athleticism.
bigbran
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Fighttolive » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:31 pm

JohnKG wrote:
BWR450 wrote:

this is true, already happened to my bag haven been using it for more than a year
Favorite Fighters: Frankie Edgar, GSP, Shogun Rua, Rory Macdonald, Melvin Guillard, Mark Hominick
Fighttolive
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby 1/6,000,000,000 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 am

its time to change the name of Everlast to Neverlast...
any hitting bag/gloves would do, protect your hand skin and practice punching, having 2 pairs of gloves is somewhat neccessary since you will want to spar or hit the mitt (substitute focus mitts with just a glove)
with partner.

Don't be mad bro
1/6,000,000,000
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby manzuri » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:54 pm

iv never seen a stable free standing bag, if i were you i would get like a 3ft bracket or something you can bolt to a tree and hang the bag from that, and just throw a tarp or something over it when ever you arent using it. that or put it in the ground with some quick-crete or something.
manzuri
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby visdoleo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:54 pm

The one I use at home, I bought at Sears, it was a stand + 100lb heavy bag + speed bag. For around $200. Although, that has been some time ago, not sure if they still sell at that price, but it's all held together and I still use it when I don't get a chance to hit the gym.
Cody McKenzie, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Forest Griffin, Anderson Silva, David Abbott, Shane Carwin, Stephan Bonnar, Brock Lesnar, Vitor Belfort, Jeremy Horn, Mirko Filipović, Brian Bowles, Bas Rutten

visdoleo
White Belt
White Belt

Postby visdoleo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 pm

When I first bought the thing (Everlast btw), I placed 25lbs weights on the ends made to hold it down, on the first hard punch I threw, the stand almost tipped over and I jumped and grabbed it. I now have 105bs on each end to hold it down and it does fine. Although a mounted bag is better, this will suffice for ANYONE.
Cody McKenzie, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Forest Griffin, Anderson Silva, David Abbott, Shane Carwin, Stephan Bonnar, Brock Lesnar, Vitor Belfort, Jeremy Horn, Mirko Filipović, Brian Bowles, Bas Rutten

visdoleo
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Fighttolive » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:46 pm

visdoleo wrote:When I first bought the thing (Everlast btw), I placed 25lbs weights on the ends made to hold it down, on the first hard punch I threw, the stand almost tipped over and I jumped and grabbed it. I now have 105bs on each end to hold it down and it does fine. Although a mounted bag is better, this will suffice for ANYONE.

yeah you need a good 150-200 lbs weights to weigh down a stand if your bag is 70-100lbs.
your lucky you didnt get hurt haha, i read the instructions, didn't have enough weights lying around though so i just use big old rocks lol.
Favorite Fighters: Frankie Edgar, GSP, Shogun Rua, Rory Macdonald, Melvin Guillard, Mark Hominick
Fighttolive
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby manzuri » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Fighttolive wrote:
visdoleo wrote:When I first bought the thing (Everlast btw), I placed 25lbs weights on the ends made to hold it down, on the first hard punch I threw, the stand almost tipped over and I jumped and grabbed it. I now have 105bs on each end to hold it down and it does fine. Although a mounted bag is better, this will suffice for ANYONE.

yeah you need a good 150-200 lbs weights to weigh down a stand if your bag is 70-100lbs.
your lucky you didnt get hurt haha, i read the instructions, didn't have enough weights lying around though so i just use big old rocks lol.

yeah, that sounds like the best solution, weights are not cheep. lol.
manzuri
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Stand Up