Close
Login
Register

* SPOILER* ricky hatton!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Postby st3ve_o » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:15 pm

i never said its the referee's fault that he lost, but it certainly didn't help!

all i'm saying the referee spoiled a very good fight which people all around the globe paid $£$ to watch.

brawler vs skill.

hatton's made a career of getting close into an opponent and roughing them up so why didn't referee joe cortez allow him to be who he was?
st3ve_o
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Oldtoby420 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:43 pm

I'll watch the fight & see what happend once I can see it all then I'll comment a bit on what I saw. All this bs is why I don't care for boxing at all anymore to many fights are somehow fixed or favored to 1 fighter over the other.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby bambam » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:05 pm

st3ve_o

all you are saying is that you are completely delusional and probably have fatton tattoo's adorned on your left and right asscheek. maywheather beat the shit out of that midget, while the fatboy was trying to pull off a suplex hoping to mount the pretty boy so he could tickle his balls. Really though, to try and justify why or how he completely got overwhelmed by maywheather is understandable when you consider that A. your in love B. you hate maywheather C. the great white screaming midget was going to enter the ring and break his ribs and actually stop maywheather. dont worry man your not the only one in denial.
bambam
White Belt
White Belt

Postby st3ve_o » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:55 pm

not at all, i'm the first to admit mayweather outclassed hatton.

but i would have still liked to have seen a neutral ref, i'm not sure how joe cortez's decisions got talked about at the time on american ppv, but i can find you loads of websites (american/british/rest of the world) saying how shocking he was.

heres an american site (and i quote) "Someone decided to use Joe Cortez to referee the bout. Cortez did a pathetic job, Taking Hatton out of his game early on, even deducting a point from Hatton for hitting behind the head. Cortez starts every fight by saying he is firm, but he is fair. I think it would be more accurate to say he was annoying and far too involved. Ricky Hatton made a career fighting a certain kind of fight. It seemed almost unfair to not allow him to be who he was, just because of the referee.

Joe Cortez also gave Mayweather upwards of seven warnings for using his elbows, but never took a point, (I guess that’s his firm side)."

also before you start with the name calling about hatton, he's cleaned house in his own weight-division. yes he was outclassed by mayweather but remember hattons preferred weight is light-welterweight and it did show a weight too above on the night against floyd.

he didn't have to step-up to welterweight, but he did and fought the very best in doing so, so instead of calling him a "midget" id like to say well done to him for doing that as not many boxers would.

anyway that's all i'm going to say about this now, THE END.
st3ve_o
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby bambam » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:51 am

i agree to the fact that he fought with tremendous heart and grit, a note that mayweather sung himself after the fight.
bambam
White Belt
White Belt

Postby st3ve_o » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:08 pm

emd01 wrote:
hatton's made a career of getting close into an opponent and roughing them up
Joe Cortez wouldn't let Hatton HOLD!!! Thats Hattons game...wrestling on the inside. He had plenty of oppurtunity to inside fight but he'd hold and try to wrestle. This is boxing, not wwe...lol. The ref did a good job. Not the best but good.

theres different styles in boxing same with any other sport.

tennis/football/mma etc, as said 1 was allowed to fight his own fight that made him champion (mayweather), yet the other wasn't allowed to fight his own fight that made him champion (hatton).

its like chuck liddell vs tito ortiz (kick boxer vs wresler) but liddell isn't allowed to use his legs.

anyway defiantly staying out of this thread now, ive said all i can. THE END (again).
st3ve_o
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby theforce » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm

theforce
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JRS3 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:10 am

emd01 wrote:
hatton's made a career of getting close into an opponent and roughing them up
Joe Cortez wouldn't let Hatton HOLD!!! Thats Hattons game...wrestling on the inside. He had plenty of oppurtunity to inside fight but he'd hold and try to wrestle. This is boxing, not wwe...lol. The ref did a good job. Not the best but good.

True. Hatton's style is punch-hold-push-punch, rinse, repeat. He got away with that for years because of British refs. I like his personality. But he's painful to watch. Very dirty. The point deduction came when he pushed Floyd through the ropes and still tried to throw a rabbit punch.

That said, Cortez did let Ruiz get away with a lot of holding and hitting.
JRS3
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby JRS3 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:50 am

st3ve_o wrote:good fight, hatton was winning the first 2/3 round easy.

how shocking was that referee though? it was like watching something from the wwe. i think that did have an effect on the fight as it effected hattons rythem and took soemthing alway from hattons arsenal, it was like hatton was fighting 2 people in there at times.

i said before the fight though i had concerns about the referee, we often see that with american referees when a fighter from overseas fights an american.

mayweather was good though, you've gotta admit that.

It may be in Hatton's arsenal, but holding and hitting, and rabbit punches are illegal in boxing.
JRS3
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby mikepiv » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:27 am

JRS3 wrote:
st3ve_o wrote:good fight, hatton was winning the first 2/3 round easy.

how shocking was that referee though? it was like watching something from the wwe. i think that did have an effect on the fight as it effected hattons rythem and took soemthing alway from hattons arsenal, it was like hatton was fighting 2 people in there at times.

i said before the fight though i had concerns about the referee, we often see that with american referees when a fighter from overseas fights an american.

mayweather was good though, you've gotta admit that.

It may be in Hatton's arsenal, but holding and hitting, and rabbit punches are illegal in boxing.

speak my mind
mikepiv
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Previous

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.