Close
Login
Register

Training log

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm

detfilteg wrote:With a bit more practice under your belt now is the slipping punches coming more easily to you?

yea i got the motions down and im slipping way better now, but i still got do it more to make it as natural as possible. And i really need to work on the timing too
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am

Stand_and_Fight wrote:
detfilteg wrote:With a bit more practice under your belt now is the slipping punches coming more easily to you?

yea i got the motions down and im slipping way better now, but i still got do it more to make it as natural as possible. And i really need to work on the timing too

definitely. timing is probably the most difficult things to learn in striking, just due to the fact that you have to have someone throwing at you with a good bit of speed and power to get accustom to it, and implement it into your game. my physical therapist told me on wednesday that i can start shadow boxing again with my right arm. woot! but i am still a slave to the jump rope, no bag work.

the boxing classes are going to help you a lot with sparring in muay thai, just dont forget about those kicks! sometimes i get excited about punching and i forget to add my kicks into the combinations.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby RubenATC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 am

^Yeah man its easy to get carried away and just throw hand combos but my goal is to become a good striker so im gonna make sure i dont forget any of the kicks, elbows and knees.

Today i did both boxing and striking and i dont know why but i just didnt feel like myself today, my shoulders felt stiff from the beginning and i think the gym was hotter today cuz i have never sweat this much, its nasty. But i started loosening up and was i got a pretty good workout in. We worked on getting the clinch so my neck is all scratched up right now.
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 am

Stand_and_Fight wrote:^Yeah man its easy to get carried away and just throw hand combos but my goal is to become a good striker so im gonna make sure i dont forget any of the kicks, elbows and knees.

Today i did both boxing and striking and i dont know why but i just didnt feel like myself today, my shoulders felt stiff from the beginning and i think the gym was hotter today cuz i have never sweat this much, its nasty. But i started loosening up and was i got a pretty good workout in. We worked on getting the clinch so my neck is all scratched up right now.

I know how that goes. If you work clinch with wraps you are gonna come out with some damage, lol. I know how you feel with the stiff shoulder ;). I still really can't do any punching with my right arm to the bag but I can shadowbox with it. I am a sweat monster in the gym. Typically after our 3 rounds of rope to warm up I have a huge puddle around me. It's nasty.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby RubenATC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm

yeah my partners wraps were coming undone and the velcro left me with some red marks on my neck and my jaw :lol:. Whats really painful right now are the body shots we take in boxing, for one round we take turns hitting each in the stomach and fuck i nearly fell in pain yesterday, i hope we dont do that today cuz my ribs are still really sore... and what happened to your shoulder?
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Stand_and_Fight wrote:yeah my partners wraps were coming undone and the velcro left me with some red marks on my neck and my jaw :lol:. Whats really painful right now are the body shots we take in boxing, for one round we take turns hitting each in the stomach and fuck i nearly fell in pain yesterday, i hope we dont do that today cuz my ribs are still really sore... and what happened to your shoulder?

Not really sure. It has been an problem for many years. From what I've read the main culprit is a dislocated shoulder that tears the labrum. Official name is Bankart Lesion. Either way I am almost completely healed and should be back into MT class by March.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby RubenATC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:50 am

Sorry about not updating, i hadn't been in a writing mood the last couple of days. But Wednesday and today I took both Boxing and muay thai class, and im really starting to love the boxing class. In the Muay Thai class we just focus on punching and kicking but there's no real emphasis on foot work or head movement. And in boxing we learn things that are more simple and effective. Needless to say im still gonna go to both to become a well rounded striker.

So today we did some of the usual stuff. But in Muay Thai we got to spar "lightly" for like 30 minutes. And again some guys just fail to control themselves. Its sad really cuz all their work goes out the window and they just start throwing without technique. But luckily i was able to use some of the new things i learned in boxing like blocking and circling to prevent myself from taking any damage. Except a fucking kick to my fucking cawk, it was painful. I'll try to add more details tomorrow, im in need of a shower right now :biggrin:
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby RubenATC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 am

Sorry about not updating...unfortunately i got the flu and i doubt im gonna be able to train this week :( ....This sucks because we had a 4 day week-end and i was planning on getting some serious conditioning in but this stupid sickness kept me side-lined. AHHH THIS SUCKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby RubenATC » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:19 am

I finally got back to training this week, yesterday i went to boxing and muay thai and i felt surprisingly good considering i hadnt done anything in like 10 days.

I didnt get that much sleep last night so i was feeling really tired all day, so i just went to boxing. Today we did something new, the instructor set up like 7 different stations and we did 2 minute rounds on each station and we did 2 full rotations. 3 of the stations had guys with those big body protectors sorta like a big vest, combinations were:

1. 1, right to the body, duck left hook, 2,3,2.
2. 1,2, left upper to body, right upper to body, 3, 2.
3. 1, 2, slip jab, right upper to body, 3, slip right, left upper to body, 2.

Another station was the double-end bag, my first time using it and it was pretty challenging.

Another station was holding a medicine ball on our right shoulder and jabbing at the heavy bag.

Then the instructor tied a long rope up and we had to go under it bobbing and weaving, this was the hardest one for me.

The last station was on a heavy bag and we worked on jabbing and circling

I was exhausted after this so i just called it a night, tomorrow i'll make sure to take both classes. And im thinking of buying some boxing shoes cuz ive gotten some calluses on my feet and yesterday chunks of that callused skin ripped of and it left my feet really sore and i dont want to get them infected
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby RubenATC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:04 am

I hardly ever have time to update anymore but my training is going great. Yesterday my muay thai class had the honor of having Brandon Vera as our instructor. It was great, he was pushing us right from the start. We started jumping rope and after a couple of minutes he had us doing squats and pushups. The he had us work on teeping and kneeing, then we worked on kicks. Some guys didnt do so well so Brandon was riding their asses all night long hahaha, i did pretty well so i avoided being yelled at. Then after that we did some rounds on the heavy bag. It was really cool, he helped with a lot of with the little details my kick and knee techniques.
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Workout Logs