Close
Login
Register

Favorite Healthy Snacks

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Favorite Healthy Snacks

Postby exsanguinator » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 pm

I figure if we get enough ideas here for healthy snacks that are a bit more interesting than just your run of the mill apple or orange or whatever the people can just come to this thread when they feel like snacking on something and not just go straight to the potato chips.

Anyway my favorite snack takes a little bit of foresight to prepare properly but the bright side is that you can just put it in the fridge for eating whenever you want.

Just take a cucumber, slice it thinly leave the skin on, very lightly salt it (remember, with sodium less is more) and just let it sit for about a half hour. Afterward, throw your cucumber into a colander, strain it under cold water and shake it dry. Refrigerate unused portions. You'll end up rinsing away almost all of the salt but still have a slight salty taste.

On other hand, salt isn't necessary. Cucumber is delicious either way :wink:

What does everyone else like to snack on?
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Re: Favorite Healthy Snacks

Postby Smith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:20 pm

The unborn children of my arch-enemy...

THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:15 pm

exsanguinator wrote:my favorite snack takes a little bit of foresight to prepare properly

As does most food worthy of the name.

Bagels get me everytime, as do handfuls of semi-sweet chocolate chips if I'm particularly lazy.

Beyond that, dates and date-based snacks are clutch IMO. As mentioned in the other thread, dates and agave nectar (throw in lemon and lime zest for extra flavor) in a food processor and then refrigerated make delicious extremely nutritionally dense snacks.

Hell dates alone will do it.

You can also try putting a bit of protein powder on a plate, and "dipping" various citrus fruits "in" it (with the result being an orange slice, for example, being coated in protein. This should only be done with protein that doesn't taste like an asshole).

Quinoa is another good one. Can be eaten alone (and seasoned with whatever you want) or combined with just about anything (beans and stir fried veggies in particular) for good carbs and protein for it's volume.

Oh, and ice cream. Usually only once a week, but that one day a week, A LOT of ice cream.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby exsanguinator » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:Oh, and ice cream. Usually only once a week, but that one day a week, A LOT of ice cream.

I stay away from ice cream. Too much fat/sugar. When I'm in the mood I go for frozen yogurt.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 pm

I constantly have fruit, and vegetables in fridge to snack on.

I know Ranch isnt the greatest for you, but Brococli, cauliflower carrots and ranch is delicious. I also buy frozen fruits for my shakes, and i leave a bunch in fridge to snack on as well.
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 pm

THC wrote:I constantly have fruit, and vegetables in fridge to snack on.

I know Ranch isnt the greatest for you, but Brococli, cauliflower carrots and ranch is delicious. I also buy frozen fruits for my shakes, and i leave a bunch in fridge to snack on as well.

Fruit. Forgot to mention fruit. I usually bring 3 to 4 "pieces" with me to work. Good call.

Favorites?

PS I had a recipe for ranch that tasted good, and that was no where near as "bad" for you as regular ranch. I'll see if I can dig it up.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:

Fruit. Forgot to mention fruit. I usually bring 3 to 4 "pieces" with me to work. Good call.

Favorites?

PS I had a recipe for ranch that tasted good, and that was no where near as "bad" for you as regular ranch. I'll see if I can dig it up.

If you the recipe that would be great.

Ranch and Franks hot sauce only real sauces I keep in fridge at all times.
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:27 pm

THC wrote:
KC Masterpiece wrote:

Favorites?

If you the recipe that would be great.

Ranch and Franks hot sauce only real sauces I keep in fridge at all times.

Fruit, fruit, fruit. I can never eat enough of it.

I like Ranch + sliced cucumber like was discussed beforehand.

Also I am a huge fan of tuna. I don't know why but my tastebuds love it. I usually have at least 3 cans of tuna in oil/water at the house that I can open up and snack on. I don't add anything, but I do drain the oil/water out as best as possible.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm

^ I just had a can of tuna and it was delicious. I put it usually it on some kind of healthier bread with cucumber, or pickle. I usually use whipped dressing, but today had to settle for my roommates fatty miracle whip and I felt bad a lil eating it.

120 calories in a can
0 fat
30 grams of protein

Thats a hell of a snack :lol:

ps I usually eat Chunked light tuna packed in water No Name brand. Its pretty much a $1 a can, excellent for people with smalller grocery budget.
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby 1000Degrees » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:31 pm

my friend got me hooked on celery with pickles on it. It's pretty good. you kinda have to get used to it though
"I Want What The World Can't Give Me"
-Kid C.
1000Degrees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:03 pm

1000Degrees wrote:my friend got me hooked on celery with pickles on it. It's pretty good. you kinda have to get used to it though

:shock:

shit sounds gross as hell :lol:

celery with peanut butter is amazing though
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:52 pm

^ Celery with Cheese whiz is the best way to go. It may not be as healthy as peanut butter on Celery but man does it taste delicious :lol:
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Lsquared » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am

THC wrote:^ Celery with Cheese whiz is the best way to go. It may not be as healthy as peanut butter on Celery but man does it taste delicious :lol:

theres a couple reasons one might find out that this combo is even edible^^^

1.your broke, and using everything, in an attempt to get "your moneys worth"
2.you are a true artist.
3.you got high and you were hungry...
4. :arrow:all of the above. :lol:

snacks while im on the road:
raw almonds.
organic nosoy protein bars.
an apple.
chocolate milk.
dried fruit.
beef jerky/turkey jerky.
banana.

at home:
blueberries, strawberries, organic granola, organic vanilla yogurt mix it presto.
eggs and toast.
protein shake, 1 cup chocolate milk, 2tbsp organic peanut butter, 1 frozen banana, wheat germ and or grinded up flax seed, a couple of ice cubes, its the bomb.
organic cereal
lil baby carrots wrapped in spinach, dip in ranch or dressing.
tuna fish
grapefruit.
string cheese
buy a whole roasted or cooked chicken from grocery store or deli, take home and pull all meat, and mix in bowl with one or two bottles of organic bbq sauce [spicy] and refrigerate, good protein all week long, just heat it up and grab a bun or some bread.
going organic where we can.
Truth Does Not Demand Belief
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Accolades: Former Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Postby detfilteg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:18 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:
1000Degrees wrote:my friend got me hooked on celery with pickles on it. It's pretty good. you kinda have to get used to it though

Granny Smith Apples + Peanut Butter == Total Win.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:09 pm

detfilteg wrote:
ThirdCoastCombat wrote:

Granny Smith Apples + Peanut Butter == Total Win.

definitely. apples and peanut butter beats celery and peanut butter hands down
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Next

Return to Nutrition