Close
Login
Register

Frank Mir's Shoulder Crank

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Frank Mir's Shoulder Crank

Postby Dr Jekyll » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:58 pm

This is a move that I often succeed at executing because its very easy to become vulnerable to. All the person has to do is put their hand or elbow (better) on the mat next to you and you can lock it in.

I have submitted many of my training partners with this and I think it's underused. Anyone else agree?
say your prayers, little one, don't forget my son, to include everyone... i tuck you in, walk within, keep you free from sin... 'til the sandman he comes..
Dr Jekyll
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Re: Frank Mir's Shoulder Crank

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:43 pm

i love it. any time someone gets an underhook from a neutral position all you have to do is pull guard and lock the arm in. It works really well on wrestlers who are transitioning into BJJ because they are always looking for the underhooks. i know cause i got destroyed by the mir lock several times when i was first switching over :lol:
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby kevend » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:18 pm

typical jujitsu move, can be done from standing too.
WarPhenom. The Belfort is back.
[color=#800000]UFC sigbet record 1-2-0

I dont like Eddie Bravo, Joe Rogan, Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva, Loyoto Machida and Michael Bisping.
kevend
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 pm

It looks like a good counter to this would be to stand straight up and cartwheel out of it. I'll have to work out how to do the sub first and then work on counters but at a glance that seems like a good idea.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby preacher » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 pm

exsanguinator wrote:It looks like a good counter to this would be to stand straight up and cartwheel out of it. I'll have to work out how to do the sub first and then work on counters but at a glance that seems like a good idea.

did you come up with the counter?
Psalm 144:1 - Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle-
Sig Bets: 1-3

Thank God Caveman and Black Sheep are on the mend
preacher
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby kevend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 pm

to counter the counter all you need to do is position yourself on your side, as frank does here and use your knee on their body and pull down with your arm

I dont like Eddie Bravo, Joe Rogan, Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva, Loyoto Machida and Michael Bisping.
kevend
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:49 pm

preacher wrote:
exsanguinator wrote:It looks like a good counter to this would be to stand straight up and cartwheel out of it. I'll have to work out how to do the sub first and then work on counters but at a glance that seems like a good idea.

with all that is happening in jiu jitsu these days I'm sure someone has thought of a counter for this sub already. to be honest, i completely forgot about this and haven't tried it yet :oops:
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby preacher » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

exsanguinator wrote:
preacher wrote:

with all that is happening in jiu jitsu these days I'm sure someone has thought of a counter for this sub already. to be honest, i completely forgot about this and haven't tried it yet :oops:

To err is human...to forgive, devine.. :wink:
Psalm 144:1 - Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle-

preacher
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby TheHumanoidTyphoon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:17 am

Why isnt it us more in MMA?
LHK FOREVER
TheHumanoidTyphoon
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:05 pm

oblogic wrote:Why isnt it us more in MMA?

Because people don't put their hands on the mat anymore. I feel that this is a once in a lifetime submission in MMA.
exsanguinator

Postby kevend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 pm

most people from mount will keep their hands on the head, chest, wrists of thighs of their opponent. makes it harder to snap a submission on and more likely to defend one aswell. But advantage to the bottom guy for it being eaiser to roll him off/reverse to top mount.

kevend
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby preacher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:32 pm

When the hand does come down you have to move fast...that golden opportunity goes quick. I still have good success with the Zombie to get he hand down.

preacher
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby SmokescreenMMA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 am

utilize this move all the time, waiting for the opponents hand to hit the mat, i usually lye in the scissor sweep position to trick the opponent to put hand to the mat, i have easy access to both arms in this position unless they posture up...
Grappling Record- 4-1-1-1 (W-L-D-NC)
SmokescreenMMA
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Return to Ground Game