Close
Login
Register

Looking for tips for my first BJJ Tourney and weight loss

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Re: Looking for tips for my first BJJ Tourney and weight loss

Postby halal pig » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:52 pm

[quote="adamQmbjj"]yes..competition has taught me not to stick my neck out when going for a takedown and it taught me to expect the other guy to go fucking apeshit on you from the get go.

needless to say i was surprised in my first tournament.[/quote]

so wat did happen. and vito too howd u do. post the videos if u got em im uploading mine as we speak. i went 1-1 today (not very happy about it)
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Soccerdude99 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:56 pm

yo howd u do today. ? i did alright, came in second.
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby halal pig » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:33 am

halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Soccerdude99 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:17 pm

ooo i think i remember seeing you halal. I def remember the guy u grappled with from tsmma he looked like a freaking cave man. Il see if i can upload my vids soon
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby halal pig » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 pm

yea if u saw me i was just standing at ring 12 for over 2 hours. long fucking day
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby DonVito » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Well unfortunately, I was choked unconscious in the first round. I got caught in a tight triangle and didnt want to tap, so I took a nap. I made a crucial mistake while going for a sweep, and I paid for it. The kid I faced was training 5 months compared to my 2 and h took first place, so it not like a lot to any bum haha. He was actually a very cool kid, he used to train at my gym and he says hes gonna start coming by and training with me. I learned what my mistakes were, and I found my weak points. I got right back in the gym since then and now Im training real hard, working alot now on my strength and conditioning, as well as my wrestling. Im really starting to love takedowns and throws, and I think next time I compete, Ill be in much better shape, and im going to shoot next time, instead of pull guard. Im proud of myself for stepping up and competing, I succesfully learned how to cut weight, and I felt out the competition, and Im glad that I competed. Thanks everyone for all the great tips, you guys were all a big help and I appreciate it! Unfortunatly my friend forgot his video camera, which is unfortunate because I would have liked you guys to see it to help me disect exactly whats wrong, but I promise ill train harder then ever for the next NAGA, which will take place on April, and Im also hoping to get a Muay Thai fight by March when I turn 18, so I will be sure to stay in touch guys!!
HW: JDS
LHW: Forrest, Shogun
MW: Filthy Tom, Mayhem
WW: Nick Diaz
LW: Penn, Lauzon
FW: Roop, Aldo
BW: CRUZ
DonVito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Soccerdude99 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:46 am

yea dude then i remember your match i was like oh shit! my mom was freaking out she doesnt want to come to watch me compete anymore lol. but dude u did good. I mean it takes courage to compete for the first time. At least it did for me i was nervous as hell. And bro your under 6 months idk but it looked like the people in that were more advanced then the people in under 1 year category. Lol i would put my vids up but i'm not to sure how to.
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby halal pig » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:24 pm

[quote="Soccerdude99"]yea dude then i remember your match i was like oh shit! my mom was freaking out she doesnt want to come to watch me compete anymore lol. but dude u did good. I mean it takes courage to compete for the first time. At least it did for me i was nervous as hell. And bro your under 6 months idk but it looked like the people in that were more advanced then the people in under 1 year category. Lol i would put my vids up but i'm not to sure how to.[/quote]

yea i see that in the lighter divisons people sandbagging. and soccer dude do u have a youtube account?
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Soccerdude99 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm

yea i do il post it up hopefully today. just looking for the cables for the usb connector thing
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DonVito » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks soccerdude, and sorry I ruined it for your mom >.< Im just so excited to keep training and do better next time.
DonVito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Soccerdude99 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 pm

yea bro it was our first of many tournys to come.
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby halal pig » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:45 pm

[quote="Soccerdude99"]yea bro it was our first of many tournys to come.[/quote]

if u got the money
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby DonVito » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Yeah those tourneys arent cheap lol. Im still pumped to go to as many as I can afford though. I turn 18 soon, so Im going to be in the adult division soon. Unfortunately most of those guys are jacked.
DonVito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Soccerdude99 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 pm

hahaha yea you might want to hit the gym. I luckily have one more year in the teens division.
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby bdblp11 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:54 pm

I know this is probably a little late for advice but I had the same questions before my first submission tourny. I had wrestling tournaments before but bjj tournys are a little different. It depends a lot on how long each match is, does it go to submission or is timed with points awarded. It also depends on your style and conditioning. I cut about 14 pounds in 20 hours before my weigh in which was a last minute decision and I would not reccomend. Dehydration will cause you to cramp up and tire very fast especially in your forearms which are one of the most important muscle groups needed. Its a good idea to only have to cut about 2 pounds before weighins if the weighins are the same day as the tourny and considering this is your first tournament so you can get a feel for how your body will react. hope you did well
bdblp11
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Previous

Return to Ground Game