Close
Login
Register

Official Religion Thread

Anything not MMA related goes here

Official Religion Thread

Postby Shaka Zulu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 pm

I was thinking of a good off topic post that I haven't seen on here so I figured id start a religion thread. Before you guys think I'm some kind of religious fanatic,id like to say that I'm a praticing Muslim,but far from where I want to be (I still have some things I need to change ) . I'm not here to try to disprove anyone's religion,nor convert anyone to mine. I just figured that this is an endless subject and everyone can agree that it plays a big part in the world we live in. I love to learn about different religions and hear people's views on why they do/don't believe in God/gods. Please, only serious responses.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread and if it grows too heated or if anyone starts throwing insults I will lock it. Keep the discussion civil and respectful and everything will be fine. Anything less is unacceptable. - exsanguinator
ImageImage
Dan Henderson said-" FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!"
Shaka Zulu
شاكا زولو

Re: Official Religion Thread

Postby shogun86 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:35 pm

shaka zulu wrote:I was thinking of a good off topic post that I haven't seen on here so I figured id start a religion thread. Before you guys think I'm some kind of religious fanatic,id like to say that I'm a praticing Muslim,but far from where I want to be (I still have some things I need to change ) . I'm not here to try to disprove anyone's religion,nor convert anyone to mine. I just figured that this is an endless subject and everyone can agree that it plays a big part in the world we live in. I love to learn about different religions and hear people's views on why they do/don't believe in God/gods. Please, only serious responses.

what's your views on evolution and creationism?
shogun86
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Postby Shaka Zulu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:54 pm

shogun86 wrote:
shaka zulu wrote:I was thinking of a good off topic post that I haven't seen on here so I figured id start a religion thread. Before you guys think I'm some kind of religious fanatic,id like to say that I'm a praticing Muslim,but far from where I want to be (I still have some things I need to change ) . I'm not here to try to disprove anyone's religion,nor convert anyone to mine. I just figured that this is an endless subject and everyone can agree that it plays a big part in the world we live in. I love to learn about different religions and hear people's views on why they do/don't believe in God/gods. Please, only serious responses.

As far as Evolution goes,Islam doesn't necessarily disprove of it,because the Quran states that"We created every living thing from water". That being said,every organism can be tied back to one another because they're from the same origin. God says he created Adam with his hands and Eve from his rib. This would contradict Evolutionists claim that we evolved from monkeys. I don't have enough knowledge to debate that part,but one thing I can say is ,if we did evolve fom monkeys,how come we aren't evolving anymore. As far as creationism, we believe God creates everything,but they had to go through natural stages,not from spontaneously appearing. Also,something interesting to note is that the Big Bang Theory is actually mentioned in the Quran. Chapter 21,I can't remember which verse,but it says,"Do the disbelievers not see that the heavens and the earth was one unit of creation until we clove them asunder,and we made every living thing from water". This is a bold statement considering it was revealed over 1400 years ago. One thing Islam does agre with about evolution is that a species will adapt to its environment.
ImageImage
Shaka Zulu
شاكا زولو

Postby detfilteg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 pm

shaka zulu wrote:
shogun86 wrote:

As far as Evolution goes,Islam doesn't necessarily disprove of it,because the Quran states that"We created every living thing from water". That being said,every organism can be tied back to one another because they're from the same origin. God says he created Adam with his hands and Eve from his rib. This would contradict Evolutionists claim that we evolved from monkeys. I don't have enough knowledge to debate that part,but one thing I can say is ,if we did evolve fom monkeys,how come we aren't evolving anymore. As far as creationism, we believe God creates everything,but they had to go through natural stages,not from spontaneously appearing. Also,something interesting to note is that the Big Bang Theory is actually mentioned in the Quran. Chapter 21,I can't remember which verse,but it says,"Do the disbelievers not see that the heavens and the earth was one unit of creation until we clove them asunder,and we made every living thing from water". This is a bold statement considering it was revealed over 1400 years ago. One thing Islam does agre with about evolution is that a species will adapt to its environment.

Evolution takes place on such a slow scale that it would be very difficult to see these types of changes in everyday life. However over time I do think that we have been slowly changing or evolving. Right now our bodies are very well suited for the life we live so I think if we do see any evolution of our species it will be an evolution of the power of the mind and not the traits of the body. At least that is what I hope for, lol. However I do think humans have been becoming larger since we moved out of the caves.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Shaka Zulu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:15 pm

detfilteg wrote:
shaka zulu wrote:
shogun86 wrote:

Evolution takes place on such a slow scale that it would be very difficult to see these types of changes in everyday life. However over time I do think that we have been slowly changing or evolving. Right now our bodies are very well suited for the life we live so I think if we do see any evolution of our species it will be an evolution of the power of the mind and not the traits of the body. At least that is what I hope for, lol. However I do think humans have been becoming larger since we moved out of the caves.

I agree about the slow process of evolution,but don't you think we would see a bit of change,say,compared to ancient portraits of people through out history. Also,if anything,humans are becoming smaller than those of old for the simple fact that many things that we eat are artificial,compared to natural food. If you've ever seen Abrahams foot prints in Mecca,they are huge. Not to mention,look at Stone Henge,they could've only been constructed by giants.
ImageImage
Shaka Zulu
شاكا زولو

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Just a post so I can monitor this thread.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby kingomegared » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:18 pm

exsanguinator wrote:Just a post so I can monitor this thread.

this should be a good one, i will be jumping in out to say pointless things and not really contribute...you know, the usual 8)
https://twitter.com/#!/Lastwurdz

Suicide?? No, I'd rather vacationcide and come back when it gets boring.
kingomegared
Anti-Star Advocate

Postby Shaka Zulu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:23 pm

kingomegared wrote:

this should be a good one, i will be jumping in out to say pointless things and not really contribute...you know, the usual 8)

Its a shame you didn't state your views on the subject. I'm curious to know you thoughts....no homo....I guess.
ImageImage
Shaka Zulu
شاكا زولو

Postby adm2rcar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 pm

kingomegared wrote:

man in all honesty i dont think this is the thread to do that.

In my eyes, im pretty much agnostic. I know something is out there, but I am not sure what. With that being said, if someone I talk to believes in one certain religion/diety, I do like to question them on it. Not in an asshole way, but more of a way as to learn stuff for myself and to help them learn more about their own religion. Also, if once person believes one way, and that is really what gets them through the day, I really dont see why any person would try to take what keeps them strong away from me. Take my Grandma for instance. She has lost her husband, all her immediate family as far as sisters and parents, lost 3 sons, and 4 grandchildren already. I wondered what kept her alive throughout all of that. Now i konw that it is her faith in god that keeps her here with us today. Now, I'm not saying that I believe what she believes, but if her religious faith is what keeps her strong, what kind of person would I be to try to take that away from her? I cant do that to her, and I cant do that to anyone. Its just not the right thing to do in this society. You dont have to agree with what they believe in, but just let them believe what they want to believe in, as in some cases that is all that many people have.
adm2rcar
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Postby kingomegared » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:47 pm

shaka zulu wrote:
kingomegared wrote:

Its a shame you didn't state your views on the subject. I'm curious to know you thoughts....no homo....I guess.

honestly, i didnt even read it. politics and religion are things i try not to get into over the internet. :)

kingomegared
Anti-Star Advocate

Postby shogun86 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 pm

kingomegared wrote:
shaka zulu wrote:
kingomegared wrote:

honestly, i didnt even read it. politics and religion are things i try not to get into over the internet. :)

interesting how about politics of mma?
shogun86
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Postby kingomegared » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:53 pm

shogun86 wrote:interesting how about politics of mma?

politics concerning mma is...well, fun to discuss :D

kingomegared
Anti-Star Advocate

Postby Shaka Zulu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:07 pm

adm2rcar wrote:
kingomegared wrote:

man in all honesty i dont think this is the thread to do that.

In my eyes, im pretty much agnostic. I know something is out there, but I am not sure what. With that being said, if someone I talk to believes in one certain religion/diety, I do like to question them on it. Not in an asshole way, but more of a way as to learn stuff for myself and to help them learn more about their own religion. Also, if once person believes one way, and that is really what gets them through the day, I really dont see why any person would try to take what keeps them strong away from me. Take my Grandma for instance. She has lost her husband, all her immediate family as far as sisters and parents, lost 3 sons, and 4 grandchildren already. I wondered what kept her alive throughout all of that. Now i konw that it is her faith in god that keeps her here with us today. Now, I'm not saying that I believe what she believes, but if her religious faith is what keeps her strong, what kind of person would I be to try to take that away from her? I cant do that to her, and I cant do that to anyone. Its just not the right thing to do in this society. You dont have to agree with what they believe in, but just let them believe what they want to believe in, as in some cases that is all that many people have.

Very good answer. I also believe that its wrong to degrade anyones religion. Faith is something that should be in the heart,not what you can prove to others that your religion is right and their's is wrong. In Islam,we are taught not to insult other's religion because ,out of ignorance,they will insult our religion and the All Mighty. I too knew something was out there but didn't know what. Therefore,I started to read about the Abrahamic religions (Christianity,Judaism,and Islam) and I found that Islam made the most sense to me,in a sense that,in my opinion,portrays God the way I would expected God should be portrayed (that he is One,without children or partners,The Creator,Eternal,Oft-Forgiving,Most Merciful,the First and the Last,All Wise)
ImageImage
Shaka Zulu
شاكا زولو

Postby NoneSoVile » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Just wanted to point out that we didn't exactly evolve from monkeys, more like...Primates (humans included) all share a common ancestor.
We are still evolving, it takes millions of years to notice a change and since we've only been around for thousands, we won't see much. I think its cool the Quran acknowledges things like the big bang and evolution though!
Image Image
NoneSoVile
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:49 pm

shaka zulu wrote:
I agree about the slow process of evolution,but don't you think we would see a bit of change,say,compared to ancient portraits of people through out history. Also,if anything,humans are becoming smaller than those of old for the simple fact that many things that we eat are artificial,compared to natural food. If you've ever seen Abrahams foot prints in Mecca,they are huge. Not to mention,look at Stone Henge,they could've only been constructed by giants.

As stated in the previous post I think most of our evolution has now moved to a change in mental attributes as opposed to physical. This can be seen in the amount of new technology that we have created in the past 100 years. I think that is probably the largest evidence of human evolution that is relevent to our current state.

The footprint of Abraham takes a bit of faith and/or blind faith to believe it is actually the footprint of someone whom lived during the time of 2000 B.C. Although something of this nature is possible, we have fossil's and can measure their origin period, but to think that this specific footprint belonged to someone in religious culture is something all together. The size of the footprint we can speculate on though.

Back in those times I think it would be plausible for humans to have had much larger feet than we do today due to the increased amount of travel that was covered by foot. Much less the nature of the roads of the time and obstacles that had to be overcome to reach one's destination. I am not saying that what you suggested does not have the capacity to be true, I just think that there are multiple explanations for almost every scenario recorded in history.

Stonehenge can be associated in the same category as the pyramids. They are here, but no one really knows how they got here or what means were used to create them. Both though have the common trait of being used for ceremonies associated with burying the dead. From this we can pull that no matter what time frame or what culture is being analyzed; death, and what happens post-mortem, is one of the largest concerns of the living.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion