Close
Login
Register

Place To Train For Beginner In NYC?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Place To Train For Beginner In NYC?

Postby hasush01 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi new to linker here but i was looking for somewhere to train in New York CIty. I just got out of highschool and i guess i have more time on my hands than i used to. I played football and lacrosse in highschool ( even though i probably should have wrestled too) and i play club rugby in college. I'm a smallish dude so i wasn't recruited for football and I'm only okay at lax. I was wondering if you guys knew a beginner friendly place to train/learn. All and any information would be appreciated.
hasush01
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Place To Train For Beginner In NYC?

Postby Fighttolive » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 pm

hasush01 wrote:Hi new to linker here but i was looking for somewhere to train in New York CIty. I just got out of highschool and i guess i have more time on my hands than i used to. I played football and lacrosse in highschool ( even though i probably should have wrestled too) and i play club rugby in college. I'm a smallish dude so i wasn't recruited for football and I'm only okay at lax. I was wondering if you guys knew a beginner friendly place to train/learn. All and any information would be appreciated.

u livein new york city bro use the internet theres probably dozens of places
Favorite Fighters: Frankie Edgar, GSP, Shogun Rua, Rory Macdonald, Melvin Guillard, Mark Hominick
Fighttolive
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Ronin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 am

NYC is highly expensive and I'm assuming you meaning Manhattan.

I'm ganna try to break it down:

For World Class BJJ- Renzo Academy is the place. They have bout a dozen or so BlackBelt instructor there that can get you gear up for any Gi/NoGi competition. However i do believe for their Blue belt program (2-3 years) its somewhere between $240/month and up. As you progress (in strips and then promotion in purple, brown, black) its only going to get more expensive.

Other BJJ place is cheaper- My old gym Fighthouse is only $120 a month and if you want to learn Muay Thai in addition to BJJ its $190/mon

remember though if you want to learn more and not limited to BJJ only:

Ronin Athletics is a great place. For $200 (i believe) you get MMA training including: wrestling, BJJ, and striking. I highly recommend these place but there are more: Combat Fighting Systems, Combined Martial Arts Academy, and a Sambo gym there as well.

Vitor Shaolin Ribeiro got a successful gym 200 down intially, and than just 150 a month after that.
he has several instructors there, classes from early like 7 am, until about 9 at night, so they are there all day.
if your a new yorker, its worth it.
renzo gracie gym...hes never there, bc hes always doing business else where.
and vitor is always there, making sure things are running smoothly.
Ronin
中国和日本王子

Postby daaalvarado » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Marcelo Garcia is very close to Renzo (36th Street bet. 5th and 6th) for about $220 a month and Lucas Lepri is downtown around 14th Street and Second for around $200. But Vitor Shaolin for around $150 is a bargain!!!!!
For striking I recommend Sitan Gym in Astoria is probably the best for Muay Thai in NYC. Like Ronin said there's a lot of places at NYC but none are cheap.
daaalvarado
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Stand Up