Close
Login
Register

Paleo diet?

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Paleo diet?

Postby ndizzle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:00 am

the caveman diet

any body have a paleo diet,thought of doing this but can't give up bread its soo good.

no dairy no grains.

i have seen great paleo recipes though and tried a few that are great
]

Silva (jojo)(seb) vs Fitch (ndizzle)
ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Re: Paleo diet?

Postby JonB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Well I just started the paleo diet. I used the grocery list from cavemanstrong with some modifications. I've been modding meals a bit, but still staying with in the guidelines with the only exception being my use of whey protein for post workout and some shakes.

It's kind of hard for me too, because I like carbs. I see the merit in substituting carbs for grains for the carbs in vegetables and fruit, but it takes a lot to satisfy me. lol

So far my meals have been paleo friendly shrimp sushi rolls (With cauliflower "Rice"), steak salad, tuna salad, a three egg omelette with all the veggies I wanted, and a Kale/apple/banana/protein shake. I have snacked mainly on fruit and trail mix with no peanuts. I'm only in day Three though.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 am

ive mixed apple,almond flour and spinach togerther on the stove and mashed it to make substitute for mashed poatoes and it was good. ate with some steak
]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:44 am

Not for MMA, but if you want to just lift, then go for it.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JonB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:14 am

Fearless6691 wrote:Not for MMA, but if you want to just lift, then go for it.

Why do you say that?
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby JonB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Today has been really rough. I struggled through Insanity the Asylum, and have just been feeling shitty. I had terrible sleep last night because I worked out the day before too and was just beaten to hell. I'm not giving up yet, but I need a carb drink or something. I had the same trouble when I tried low carb before, but I really wasn't trying to make Paleo any different than just replacing my normal amount of carbs with fruit and vegetable sources instead.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:22 pm

]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm

JonB wrote:

Why do you say that?

Not enough fuel for your body, trust me I tried it. It is very hard to perform at a high level on this diet. It is great for physique not so much for performance.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm

the guy in the video i posted is a paleo guy and is a nutrionist to miesha tate,anthony pettis and and a few others. im no athlete so i wouldn't know though
]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby JonB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 am

Fearless6691 wrote:
JonB wrote:

Why do you say that?

Not enough fuel for your body, trust me I tried it. It is very hard to perform at a high level on this diet. It is great for physique not so much for performance.

Well there are many ways to be paleo from what I've seen. You can do high carb, low carb, high sat fat/low sat fat etc....I think a simple modification for athletes is focusing on the leaner meats with fruits and vegetables as your carb source. There are a plethora of variations.
I know the reason I ran into trouble was because the plan I was on is WAY too low in carbs. I have mostly lean meats to compensate for the fact that I can't afford organic meats. Combine that with fruit, vegetables, and a carb sup, and I should be good to go.

Was yours low carb? If so, I totally agree with you. Great for cutting weight, but not for cardio for a lot of people in my opinion.

Apparently Dr. Cordain approves of the use of maltodextrin for athletes too, so I think that's been covered. I just bought some, and I'm going to experiment with it myself.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 am

JonB wrote:
Fearless6691 wrote:
JonB wrote:

Why do you say that?

Well there are many ways to be paleo from what I've seen. You can do high carb, low carb, high sat fat/low sat fat etc....I think a simple modification for athletes is focusing on the leaner meats with fruits and vegetables as your carb source. There are a plethora of variations.
I know the reason I ran into trouble was because the plan I was on is WAY too low in carbs. I have mostly lean meats to compensate for the fact that I can't afford organic meats. Combine that with fruit, vegetables, and a carb sup, and I should be good to go.

Was yours low carb? If so, I totally agree with you. Great for cutting weight, but not for cardio for a lot of people in my opinion.

Apparently Dr. Cordain approves of the use of maltodextrin for athletes too, so I think that's been covered. I just bought some, and I'm going to experiment with it myself.

Yeah I was pretty low carb so you have a great point. I tried slipping in pre workout carbs and I would just get wrecked sparring. I am the grappling coach so not many guys come close to beating me up too bad on the ground so I had it easy there. I found that low of carbs to be extremely expensive too. Higher carb is a much more viable option finacially, but how do you feel about the protein levels if you are eating high carbs? You are def. not consuming as much protein.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JonB » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am

*Shrugs* for me, the plan was basically what I eat in general, just minus the added grain sources.
I.e.
Breakfast
Three egg omelette with added vegetables and pepper (Paleo)
Normally I would have like a breakfast burrito with eggs and cheese. Maybe bacon lol
Lunch
Grilled chicken breasts with sauteed vegetables and seasoning (Paleo)
A chicken sub lol
Similar dinner.
I took a break, but I'm planning on going back. I have some egg protein, and I'm going to add 2-3 smoothies to really get my carbs up. I hope it works out.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Tetra » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:28 am

I've been following the Primal off shoot described at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ since January and I dropped from about 300 lbs to 248 lbs(as of last week). It's working well for me but I haven't gotten back into training yet. Still just working basic cardio and body weight exercises for now.

Probably not enough carbs once I start training again so I'll up the fruits and veggies by about double.
Tetra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby detfilteg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 am

I am not 100% following the guidelines most of the time as I do still eat dairy (mostly milk and eggs), but I have found it difficult to get enough calories during the day to satisfy my need in workouts. Kind of the same thing Fearless was pointing to. However I plan to up my intake in the coming weeks to offset that. The main thing for me has been giving up pre-made condiments. In "The Primal Cookbook" there are recipes for different condiments but they usually only keep for a week so you have to keep making them over and over. Other than that I am enjoying not eating any processed food, and I can tell a difference in the way I look.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby JonB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 am

So I'm on day 5 of my second round. I'm not being super strict as I occasionally have a little dairy (I've heard that things like yogurt are "Primal" in moderation), and I do drink shakeology on occasion (Which has a little quinoa in it), but it's going much better than last time. I've been really upping my carbs with smoothies, bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc... I only did cardio work this week, but I couldn't even do that well the last time I tried. I have been doing well this time though.

My biggest thing now is making alternatives. Like paleo bread, paleo tortillas, etc.. I've just been eating salads mostly, but adding lots of meat, fruits, and vegetables along with a gallon of water a day. I snack on trail mixes sans peanuts, bananas, and carrots. So far so good.

One thing I really liked that would apply is Thai red curry. You just get some of the red curry paste:
http://www.thaikitchen.com/Products/Sau ... Paste.aspx
Or make some:
http://www.recipe.com/thai-curry-paste/
Then you use coconut milk, and whatever combination of meat and vegetables you want into a stew. It's damn good.

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/04/20/red ... hai-curry/
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Return to Nutrition