Close
Login
Register

Official Wendler 5/3/1

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

Re: Official Wendler 5/3/1

Postby Fearless6691 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm

TheAssassin wrote:Fighting's bad for your brain and I'd like to actually read Hegel with full comprehension one day so no. I do train here and there though.

Damn, that was cold.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby red_donn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Fearless6691 wrote:Thanks for all of the advice man. Consider me your guinea pig for your routine. If you write it up I will be all about it. I got this assistance work from another website when I was trying to get a better understand of BBB. I thought it looked a little high in volume, and I wasn't a huge fan of the rep ranges or the sets.
I think I did start a little heavy and did not deload enough on SS. That being said, I am willing to give whatever you got a shot. I've pretty much determined that I am going up a weight class to 170. So I don't mind gaining about 15lbs as long as it is fairly lean seeing how I want to fight in Oct.

There's nothing particularly new in what I'll tell you to do, but hopefully I can give you the options that will help you make the right choice. Just being told "Starting Strength" isn't really much advice, particularly if you've hit the boredom wall with it.

A HUGE part of my blog will be about helping new lifters put together a complete conception of training, which I think that all but a very small handful of coaches absolutely suck at doing in an online context.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby Fearless6691 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:04 pm

red_donn wrote:
Fearless6691 wrote:Thanks for all of the advice man. Consider me your guinea pig for your routine. If you write it up I will be all about it. I got this assistance work from another website when I was trying to get a better understand of BBB. I thought it looked a little high in volume, and I wasn't a huge fan of the rep ranges or the sets.
I think I did start a little heavy and did not deload enough on SS. That being said, I am willing to give whatever you got a shot. I've pretty much determined that I am going up a weight class to 170. So I don't mind gaining about 15lbs as long as it is fairly lean seeing how I want to fight in Oct.

There's nothing particularly new in what I'll tell you to do, but hopefully I can give you the options that will help you make the right choice. Just being told "Starting Strength" isn't really much advice, particularly if you've hit the boredom wall with it.

A HUGE part of my blog will be about helping new lifters put together a complete conception of training, which I think that all but a very small handful of coaches absolutely suck at doing in an online context.

I get ya.
I'll read anything about beginners training. That is where I am at right now with me lifts. I need all the advice I can get.
I'm going to hammer out this 5/3/1 for beginners and look at it side by side with SS.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby red_donn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Fearless6691 wrote:
red_donn wrote:

I get ya.
I'll read anything about beginners training. That is where I am at right now with me lifts. I need all the advice I can get.
I'm going to hammer out this 5/3/1 for beginners and look at it side by side with SS.

Essentially, if you look across a variety of programs aimed at new lifters there are two, maybe three, general principles that weed out "intermediate" programs. If you meet those requirements and use halfway intelligent exercise selection, you'll be fine.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn

Postby Fearless6691 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 am

Monday

Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Bench – 55%x5, 65×5%, 75%x5
Pull ups - 3 x 5 Weighted
Barbell row - 3 x 8

Wednesday

Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Press – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Chins - 3 x 5 Weighted

Friday

Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Squat – 55%x5, 65%x5, 75%x5
Power cleans - 5 x 1

This is what I have right now. Can I add more or is that too much? I want to add good mornings to the deadlift day.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Anyone have anything to add or remove from this?
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby red_donn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:51 am

Fearless6691 wrote:Anyone have anything to add or remove from this?

It violates one of the rules of my Beginner's Routine thread. If you were limited by the welterweight class and had reached my "Abercrombie" standards it might make sense to opt for this. As it stands, I'd like to see you squat 245 x 5 or 275 for a single at the very least before taking up any sort of "advanced beginner" program.
red_donn

Postby Acepitbull » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Here is a link to download Wendler's 5/3/1 for powerlifting pdf for free. This is where I got it from. Click on the blue download link.

http://www.2shared.com/document/Z102GE6 ... im_We.html
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.-Mark Twain

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.- Confucius
Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:09 am

Acepitbull wrote:Here is a link to download Wendler's 5/3/1 for powerlifting pdf for free. This is where I got it from. Click on the blue download link.

http://www.2shared.com/document/Z102GE6 ... im_We.html

I already have it man thanks though.
Any beginners should read this for some good ideas.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Acepitbull » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm

I've been chatting with Jim Wendler through email for last couple weeks or so in preparation to switch to 5/3/1 in a two day format. When I first looked at the program I thought that it was not "heavy" enough, but I've since changed my mind. I realize that Jim knows much more than I do about all things lifting. I've been picking his brain about some things. I thought that I would post my latest question and response from him for anyone else that is interested in doing 5/3/1 two days a week. Basically he says that you can keep it upper/lower split (as he does) or do a full body workout twice a week (like in the book). My question is at the bottom. His response is at the top. I just copy and pasted from my Hotmail account.

Re: another question

9:43 AM

Reply â–¼

Jim Wendler

To Justin

NOV

Sent:

Thu 10/04/12 9:43 AM

To:

Justin

Justin,

Either the Option A or Option B. The former is good for conditioning and maintenance. The latter good for size and strength. You gotta push the SS Bar squats and SLDL on Option B to make it effective. Also recovery is key.

Votnut! Good luck.

- Jim Wendler

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2012, at 12:21 AM, Justin wrote:

> Hey brother,
>
> I have another quick question for you. I hope it's not one of those questions that makes you say "not this again." It is about 5/3/1 two days a week. I only have time to lift two days a week. I want to get all four main lifts in every week. As you know, I am not currently doing 5/3/1. I bench and press on day 1 and squat and DL on day 2. I plan on starting 5/3/1 in the near future. Can/should I keep a bench/press day and a squat/DL day........or should I switch to bench/squat and press/DL? I know that you have written that one way to break up 5/3/1 into two days a week is bench/squat and press/DL, but I've seen your own workout logs and some of your posts on your website where you bench and press one day and DL and squat another. Which way do you think is best? I know that you said you've gone to lifting two days a week yourself awhile back. What do you prefer? If it matters, I've been lifting off and on for about 19 years. I have descent strength on all four lifts. Thx for taking the time to answer my questions and pass on. And.....Votnut blasting in the gym is certainly NOV!

>
> Justin

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.- Confucius
Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Acepitbull » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 am

Jim is very gracious in answering questions. You can send him an email at [email protected]. If your question is not stupid, and if your question is not answered in one of his books, then he will either email you back or answer it on his blog/site - http://www.jimwendler.com.

Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Acepitbull » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:03 am

I finally started 5/3/1 in January. I really like it! I've put 25 lb on my bench and squat, 35 lb on my DL, and 15 lb on my overhead press in just 3 months. I took December off and that probably helped me too, but there is no doubt Wendler has a great program. I thought I would pass this along for anyone thinking of starting the 5/3/1.

Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Previous

Return to Conditioning and Strength Training