Close
Login
Register

No money for BJJ?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

No money for BJJ?

Postby groovetoob69 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:39 am

I recently have been looking into starting BJJ, but unfortunately, money is a big limitation. Right now I'm making minimum wage, going to school full time, and about 80% of my paycheck goes into savings so I can transfer to a bigger school next semester. From what I've looked into, most of the gyms I've visited/researched are going to run me $100+ a month, and I simply can't afford it. Am I just SOL? I don't know how much classes usually cost, so I have no idea if these places are reasonable. Is there any way I could learn on my own? What are my options? I'm open to suggestion.
groovetoob69
White Belt
White Belt

Re: No money for BJJ?

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm

i pay $90 a month...
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Mr.Ebert » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 am

If money is tight I'd suggest in investing in some bjj books, eddie bravos are very good. Find a friend that's equally interested and practice. Maybe enter some tourneys to expirence competition. Nothing beats the real thing but if your really focused you should pick up the basics pretty good.

Check out submissions101.com as well.
"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all. "
Mr.Ebert
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 am

Mr.Ebert wrote:If money is tight I'd suggest in investing in some bjj books, eddie bravos are very good. Find a friend that's equally interested and practice. Maybe enter some tourneys to expirence competition. Nothing beats the real thing but if your really focused you should pick up the basics pretty good.

Check out submissions101.com as well.

Excellent advice there. Also I would say go and talk to some local schools. I did that and they worked a deal for me. I got 20 bucks off a month. These schools are effected by the economy and they would rather get a guy in there for 70 bucks than get no one for no money.

If you are going to learn on your own (which I did before getting in the dojo), you MUST have a partner to train with and do not neglect the cardio aspect of things. Good luck.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby Krim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:35 am

groovetoob69 wrote:I recently have been looking into starting BJJ, but unfortunately, money is a big limitation. Right now I'm making minimum wage, going to school full time, and about 80% of my paycheck goes into savings so I can transfer to a bigger school next semester. From what I've looked into, most of the gyms I've visited/researched are going to run me $100+ a month, and I simply can't afford it. Am I just SOL? I don't know how much classes usually cost, so I have no idea if these places are reasonable. Is there any way I could learn on my own? What are my options? I'm open to suggestion.

I'm in your boat, full time student with a minimum wage job. My gym costs $200 a month (that's where all my money goes). It offers a lot of classes so I do not mind paying the price, but if you are saving up and want to focus on BJJ, then youtube is your friend. Aslong as you have a partner, just look up BJJ lessons online and then practice together.
Krim
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Stand-up_Philosopher » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:38 am

$10 per class here...

I never understood how good youtube was for learning submissions and positioning until i started training.
"The human body is a submission waiting to happen." - Erik Paulson

GS GIMG
Stand-up_Philosopher
5th Professional Linker Victory
5th Professional Linker Victory

Return to Ground Game