Close
Login
Register

No-Gi Judo?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

No-Gi Judo?

Postby groovetoob69 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:13 pm

After having one of our family friends over who has done Judo for 12 years, I immediately wanted to learn how to implement that discipline into a style suitable for MMA. I'm fairly new to learning MMA, although I've been a fan for the past 5 years or so. Are there gyms that exist that teach no-gi judo? I've heard of no-gi BJJ but, there aren't even many BJJ schools near where I live, other than mediocre gyms that claim they have some kind of renown submission grappling system, when in reality they have no idea what they're doing.
groovetoob69
White Belt
White Belt

Re: No-Gi Judo?

Postby irishmike357 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Look up videos from Karo Parysian. He has a whole series of no gi Judo. There are no schools that I know of that really train no-gi Judo. In my school (a Judo school) we incorporate all different things, no-gi is one of them and we try to find ways to use Judo without the Gi too. ALOT of their moves can be done without the Gi. It is all about leverage and getting in the good position. If you can throw a Judoka you can throw any discipline.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby exsanguinator » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:06 pm

A good idea would be to get started in Greco Roman wrestling... it's nogi and some of the clinch work is similar.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby Krim » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:35 pm

exsanguinator wrote:A good idea would be to get started in Greco Roman wrestling... it's nogi and some of the clinch work is similar.

It is great to mix both. In my gym we do no gi twice a week. We mix in some greco roman in there too. The go great together.
Krim
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Return to Ground Game