Close
Login
Register

New to Striking

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

New to Striking

Postby thestylesclash » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Posted this elsewhere as I didn't see this section of the forum. My bad.

"Hey guys. I'm starting MMA training in a few weeks. I have sparred before with relatives and friends. My ground game is my strong point, however my striking sucks. I'm slow and awkward with it and get caught way too often. Just wondered if anyone has any tips or pointers so than when I start training properly I don't get KTFO every session. Cheers."

Someone suggested to keep my hands up. I'm thankful for any advice but I don't fight with my hands at my waist, I'm not a total retard with my stand up lol. It's more when I go for punches, the other guy is so much faster than me and catches me coming in and when I come back out. I can kick very hard and have no problem with that aspect, it's just the hands I'm really sucky with.
Favourite Fighters
HW - Brock Lesnar
LHW - Rampage Jackson
MW - Anderson Silva
WW - Thiago Alves
LW - BJ Penn
thestylesclash
White Belt
White Belt

Re: New to Striking

Postby Krim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Use more feints. People can counter you because they know when you are going to throw. Use feints to over compensate for that. Kepp them guessing. If they try to counter during one of your fenits, they will be completely open. Once you counter them a bit, they will be more hesistant to try and catch you as you come in.
Krim
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby NoneSoVile » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:39 am

practice practice practice!

Get on that heavybag! Work your footwork, levels, head movement and of course your striking! There's no quick fix, you're going to have to put alot of work in to get comfortable on your feet. Best of luck and have fun!
Image Image
NoneSoVile
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Solace » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:10 am

Pretty much like the said man. It will come with practice. If you dont want to get hit you have to work on your head movement and footwork. Use feints...feint low hit high, feint high hit low, and like Krim said if the counter a feint theres probably going to be an opening for you to capitalize on. Use your hand to distract and set up kicks. and use your jab!!
Image Image
http://www.tapology.com/i/1573< Another good mma site
Solace
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby thestylesclash » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks a lot. I've been told today it's my footwork. I'm too flat footed and I don't get back from the exchanges quick enough because of that. It's so hard punching, footwork, head movement, and keeping rhythm. I have a new found respect for kickboxers.
Favourite Fighters
HW - Brock Lesnar
LHW - Rampage Jackson
MW - Anderson Silva
WW - Thiago Alves
LW - BJ Penn
thestylesclash
White Belt
White Belt

Postby NoneSoVile » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:16 am

thestylesclash wrote:Thanks a lot. I've been told today it's my footwork. I'm too flat footed and I don't get back from the exchanges quick enough because of that. It's so hard punching, footwork, head movement, and keeping rhythm. I have a new found respect for kickboxers.

You bet man, best of luck with the training!

Have you tried skipping rope? It may give your legs some new dexterity and hopefully improve your footwork and reflexes
Image Image
NoneSoVile
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DimMak » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Here's a really good shadow boxing tutorial that can help with your hands:

DimMak
White Belt
White Belt

Postby shoguns » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 pm

you need head movement dont be stationary its harder to hit what you cant see
shoguns
White Belt
White Belt

Postby MAUIBUILT420 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 am

Really the best thing to do is just keep showing up at the gym. Use google, use youtube. Take boxing classes. Don't exchange in the open ring, cut him off into corners where speed doesn't matter as much.
SigBetting Record: 1-0
MAUIBUILT420
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Ronin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:57 am

good sparring partners and instructor would be the major bonus. You can normally tell if someone is a great teacher vs someone who just speaks out of their ass.
Ronin
中国和日本王子

Return to Stand Up