Close
Login
Register

My weight cut and first Judo competitions as a senior

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

My weight cut and first Judo competitions as a senior

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:35 pm

This will be a rather long and probably mainly boring post.

If you're only going to watch the vids, it would be an idea to turn the sound off now. My friends' young boys were cheering me on throughout, and appeared to be trying to put on their most manly voices (they are 11 and 8 ). Also you'll hear my wife taking approximately 1697 photos.

I fought at national level as a junior, but when my parents divorced, I stopped Judo. That was 17 years ago, now.

On turning 30, I realised that I'd really wasted my potential, and also realised that if I don't get my Dan grade, I'll regret it once I'm too old to compete.

For the last year, I've been training on a Monday at a friendly and reasonably technical club, but randori (sparring) is generally fairly light and apart from the large Dan grades, I have little trouble. On a Tuesday I train at an incredibly competitive club, where I am by far the weakest player. On Fridays I train with two guys that are on the fringes of the Great Britain Olympic team; I'm a bit of a journeyman/bodybag for them (we fight at the same weight) and I learn a lot from them.

I never used to have trouble dropping weight, but as I'm sure some of the other 30 somethings will agree, It doesn't shift quite as quickly as it did 5 years ago.

I wasn't planning on entering the Kent County trials, but my Tuesday coach talked me in to it, "next year you might be injured, you're fit now, so go for it." This left me with only 12 days to get down to weight.

I knocked the beer on the head and started eating sensibly, but by the Sunday (1 week off comp) I was still 13lb over weight. Here is what I ate and what training I did:

Monday:
Apple, grapes, pepperoni and cheddar snack, chicken breast, stir fried veg, 4tbsp stir fry sauce, milk. 1233kcal
5 litres (1 1/3 US gal) water
1 1/2 hrs of moderate Judo training

Tuesday:
Apple, grapes, Red pepper, Carrot, Celery, low fat cheese and chive dip, Chicken, Stir fried veg, 4tbsp stir fry sauce. 1214kcal
5 litres (1 1/3 US gal) water, 1 non alcoholic beer
2 hrs of intense Judo training

Wednesday:
Apple, Grapes, Chicken, Beef frying steak, stir fried veg, 4tbsp stir fry sauce, tuna mayonnaise. 1135kcal
5 litres (1 1/3 US gal) water, 1 non alcoholic beer

Thursday:
Apple, grapes, Chicken breast, Red pepper, Carrot, Celery, low fat cheese and chive dip, Tuna mayonnaise. 804kcal
30 mins intense interval training

Friday:
Apple, Beef frying steak, chicken, tuna mayonnaise. 1097kcal
1hr of intense Judo fitness/techniques

Saturday:
I had to have a couple of hot baths to just squeeze out the last couple of pounds.
All I had was few grapes, celery and a little water with diaralite. negligible kcal

Sunday I weighed in at 66kg on the dot (145lb) I felt a little weak, but other than that, not too bad. I had an hour and 45 mins until I fought. After a protein shake, some water with electrolytes, nuts and dried apricots, I was up to 68kg (150lb).

So, after winning the gold, I was selected to represent the Kent team in the inter counties. I hadn't heard anything for a few weeks, and thinking I hadn't been selected, I let all the weight go back on.

The guy phoned me up only two weeks before hand, but after my first try at cutting, I knew 14 days would be long enough. The only snag was, on the Saturday mid weight cut was my uncle's 50th. Now, my family are foodies and piss heads. There was no getting out of it... :lol:

Round two went like this:

Monday Food/drink:
Home made chicken curry, chicken breast, ham and cheddar snack, Pepperoni and cheddar snack. 1026kcal.

Tuesday:
Pork Tenderloin, Beef frying steak, Cashew nuts 50g ( ~ 1 1/2oz), Red Pepper, Carrots, Celery, Low fat Cheese and chive dip, bowl of tuna mayonnaise. 1711kcal

Wednesday:
Pork tenderloin, stir fried veg, 4tbsp stir fry sauce, ham and cheddar snack, Pepperoni and cheddar snack, Red pepper, carrot, celery, low fat cheese and chive dip, chicken cup-a-soup. 830kcal

Thursday:
Pork tenderloin, stir fried veg, 4tbsp stir fry sauce, egg mayonnaise, 3 rashers of streaky bacon, Cashew nuts 50g ( ~ 1 1/2oz), low fat pork sausage, tomato soup. 1317kcal
30 mins intense interval training

Friday:
Pork tenderloin, egg mayonnaise, Cashew nuts 50g ( ~ 1 1/2oz), 4 rashers of streaky bacon. 877kcal
1hr of intense Judo fitness/techniques

Saturday:
Total Write off, beer, steak, chips the lot. >3000kcal

Sunday:

After weighing myself after the shenanigans, I was pretty shocked to see my weight at 156lb! I was worse off than my first weight cut (albeit a bit artificially). I decided to not risk the original diet and just stuck to soup. In my guilt I only ate Minted Lamb Soup. 288kcal

Monday:
Minted lamb soup, Chilli beef soup, Hot and sour soup. 774kcal

Tuesday:
Beef and vegetable soup, french onion soup, Tomato soup. 545kcal

Wednesday:
Italian Meatball and tomato soup, steak and Guiness casserole, Tomato and red pepper soup. 864kcal

Thursday:
Minted lamb soup, tomato soup, beef tomato and onion soup. 604kcal

Friday:
Thai chicken soup. 288kcal

I decided to see how much weight I could sweat, so I wore to work: Thermal bottoms, jogging bottoms, jeans, rashguard, thermal vest, sweater, sweat suit. I wore this all under my overalls all day. Every minute I was in my truck, I had the blowers on full power. When I pulled up back at home, I was very weak and had pins and needles in my hands, legs and feet. I had lost 8lb, but drank 2 litres ( ~ 1/2 US gal) within 15 mins of getting in the door.

Saturday:
A little water with diaralite.

Saturday night I was still 2kg ( ~4lb) over weight. I spent a couple of hours in and out of an almost scalding bath, went to bed bang on weight at 66kg (145lb)

Sunday morning weighed in at 65kg (143 1/2lb) feeling a little weak again, but not terrible. I only had an hour before my first fight. I managed to get on plenty of fluids and had some wholegrain cereal and nuts.

This lad was a GB player, but when the fight started, I really fancied my chances. He didn't feel particularly strong, and when we hit the deck, If we hadn't left the area, I think I would've had his arm. Well, you saw what happened next. Different standard. Although this was my second fight, I had to put it first so the next bit makes sense.

This guy was incredibly strong, he was really bullying me over. He went the distance with the young GB fighter (although he lost marginally). No shame in that loss either.

I'm pretty ashamed of my behaviour in this one. I was so desperate for the win, I acted like a complete douche. You'll see the point where I picked him up ready to slam him and he grapevined my legs (illegal in judo). Knowing that if he hadn't done it, i would've put him through the mat, I complained like a bitch.
The referee didn't even penalise him, probably because of my bad attitude. I'm glad the fight continued as I ended up winning properly. Although I think it was a questionable Ippon, I didn't feel too bad as he'd cheated.

Well, hopefully you've at least enjoyed watching the fights or found my weight cut interesting.

Feel free to laugh at me flying through the air. Criticism openly accepted.
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Re: My weight cut and first Judo competitions as a senior

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:36 pm

We ended up with team silver.
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby username78 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I love watching us seniors. Your right my friend, the days of being able to shed weight easy is over. Your in your prime years sir. Good stuff mate.

WATCH ME DO THE CAT DADDY DANCE
username78
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:52 pm

username78 wrote:I love watching us seniors. Your right my friend, the days of being able to shed weight easy is over. Your in your prime years sir. Good stuff mate.

Thing infuriating thing is, if I'd never stopped, I would be in my prime and it's London 2012.

Maybe I'm being a dreamer, but nationals at 13 I'm sure I'd have been there or there abouts now. :cry:
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby judojake » Sat May 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for this post. I have a similar story. Competed in judo all through high school, place in every competition I entered, finally making it to nationals at 17, where I lost my first two matches and was out. I told myself going into that competition that how I did would determine whether I continued and went to a school with a team in hopes of making the olympics one day, or if I went to school for architecture.

I took the losses (was the first competition my family made it to and I choked) pretty hard, and in addition dislocated and broke my thumb shortly after and didn't compete again. The dojo I went to ended up closing down, and I was up for promotion to my black belt at the same time, but USJA rejected my promotion as my sensei skipped me past the last degree of brown and they didnt like that.

Since then I have gone and graduated from college, dabbled off and on in the on campus club, but it was a joke, no body paid dues and therefore nobody was committed, and other than the sensei's everyone was a white belt. Even the one sensei who was a 4th dan russian national competitor, he couldn't submit me and ended up having me teach ne waza.

Long story short its been about 6 years since Ive consistently trained in judo and I miss it and would love to get back into a dojo before its too late. I think with the confidence I have gained since then I could be a much more successful competitor. I never had the confidence to really get after people, was alwasys sick to my stomach before competitions.

My excuse has always been not being able to find a good dojo, I was sort of spoiled and don't like change.

This might just inspire to do just do it.
judojake
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby lilbisse » Sat May 12, 2012 4:08 pm

I know the feeling, I just to be on the danish nationalteam in judo.
But that was six years ago, and now when I do train with the older guys they completely whoops me.

Other then that, pretty good weight cut. :)
lilbisse
White Belt
White Belt

Postby AnotherRandommGuy » Sat May 12, 2012 4:11 pm

complained like a bitch? you by any chance a relative of koscheck?
ImageImage Someday I'm gonna be someone somebody's gonna wanna shoot at
AnotherRandommGuy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby bamdalillama1 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:15 pm

can you explain to me, how the matches work?
bamdalillama1
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Pro-Am Open Winner

Postby Glass Jaw » Sat May 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Excellent work, really loved that foot sweep ippon from the beginning and your general aggression standing and on the ground also you displayed some great scrambling and transition from catching people from their throws and taking it to ground (the match where you got uchi mata'd, i was super impressed on how stuffed his 1st attempt and dragged him to the ground).

Surprised how fast in both tournie the refs stood up all the newaza. There were several points in a handful of your bouts when it hit the floor that you had some beautiful opportunities to land a rolling juji armbar or sankyu (inverted triangle) but due to circumstance (quick ref stand up, out of bounds, taking a different approach of attack, you didn't take it) not a criticism mind you so I hope you don't get offended. I think asking your classmates/training partners to maybe drill does would vastly expand your game. The way you take people's back and go for chokes and straight armbars is fine, but I think maybe its an excuse for the refs to stand you up because of the "lack of progression" or whatever silliness refs use just because you're taking your time sinking in the subs you're use to. I think with the suggested submissions you could demonstrate to the refs you are progressively attacking and land quicker ippons on the floor because the way you attack and defend standing up provides you multiple opportunities to land them because your comp turtles up (which I admit myself I have a bad habit of doing when not landing a throw and taking it to the ground)

One more comment about the bigger stronger dude that was out muscling you. Being one of the smaller guys at my dojo I learned I make things harder on myself whenever someone stronger/bigger then me gets the top collar grip. It happens a lot, you made things worse for yourself in a couple of exchanges when you let uke do that to you. Shudder shrug, break the grip, use ashi waza to stagger them/footwork, tie up their hand, but make it hard for them to get that top collar grip on you. You'll still feel their strength but you'll be in far less danger compared to them with that high grip that they use to control our posture with.

I don't cut weight at all but pretty sure you and me would be competing in the same division (145lb) , even with the weight disadvantage I think it be fun to randori with you even if you're across the pond lol. But again props to you and keep up the great work.
Glass Jaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:31 pm

bamdalillama1 wrote:can you explain to me, how the matches work?

Although there is more to it, here's a basic overview:

The quickest way to win, is by throwing your opponent on to their back in a firm and controlled manner. If you do so, that is effectively a total victory. A throw less than this will score points that can accumulate to a total victory or just a points advantage. You can pin your opponent for 30s for a win, or less for a points advantage. You may also win by armlock or strangle.

Very little time is allowed to set up submissions these days, the international judo federation are so preoccupied withit as a spectator sport, they have all but killed the groundwork side of competitive judo.
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby Glass Jaw » Sat May 12, 2012 4:33 pm

That's a very broad question but I'll try to give you the jist (min UK and judo jake spot me if I miss anything)

In judo the main goal is to score IPPON which is the highest score possible. Ippon can be scored by landing a clean throw that the ref deems as "decisive" (this is sometimes subjective and controversial, I'll explain later). Ippon can also be awarded by tapout from a submission (armbars and choke holds). Ippon can also be awarded by pinning a person on their back for 25 seconds (osaekimi, or what a lot of MMA fans call "lay and pray" lol). Finally a match can be won by ref decision. There are 3 refs on the mat, one center that you see and 2 corner refs.

Recap: Winning in judo

1)Throw
2)Armbar/Choke
3)Pin
4) Decision

Ippon is the best score its a fight ender, however there are several other points

Wazari- this is half a ippon, 2 wazari = IPPON
Yuko-smallest point, almost a wazari, but doesn't add up to Wazari

Recap: Scores
Ippon (highest point/fight ender)
Wazari (next highest point )
Yuko (lowest point point)
Glass Jaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby bamdalillama1 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:34 pm

minimanukuk wrote:

Although there is more to it, here's a basic overview:

The quickest way to win, is by throwing your opponent on to their back in a firm and controlled manner. If you do so, that is effectively a total victory. A throw less than this will score points that can accumulate to a total victory or just a points advantage. You can pin your opponent for 30s for a win, or less for a points advantage. You may also win by armlock or strangle.

Very little time is allowed to set up submissions these days, the international judo federation are so preoccupied withit as a spectator sport, they have all but killed the groundwork side of competitive judo.

Thank you. knowing these things, you did well. keep focused man.
bamdalillama1
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Pro-Am Open Winner

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:35 pm

AnotherRandommGuy wrote:complained like a bitch? you by any chance a relative of koscheck?

I am cringing. :oops:
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Glass Jaw wrote:Excellent work, really loved that foot sweep ippon from the beginning and your general aggression standing and on the ground also you displayed some great scrambling and transition from catching people from their throws and taking it to ground (the match where you got uchi mata'd, i was super impressed on how stuffed his 1st attempt and dragged him to the ground).

Surprised how fast in both tournie the refs stood up all the newaza. There were several points in a handful of your bouts when it hit the floor that you had some beautiful opportunities to land a rolling juji armbar or sankyu (inverted triangle) but due to circumstance (quick ref stand up, out of bounds, taking a different approach of attack, you didn't take it) not a criticism mind you so I hope you don't get offended. I think asking your classmates/training partners to maybe drill does would vastly expand your game. The way you take people's back and go for chokes and straight armbars is fine, but I think maybe its an excuse for the refs to stand you up because of the "lack of progression" or whatever silliness refs use just because you're taking your time sinking in the subs you're use to. I think with the suggested submissions you could demonstrate to the refs you are progressively attacking and land quicker ippons on the floor because the way you attack and defend standing up provides you multiple opportunities to land them because your comp turtles up (which I admit myself I have a bad habit of doing when not landing a throw and taking it to the ground)

One more comment about the bigger stronger dude that was out muscling you. Being one of the smaller guys at my dojo I learned I make things harder on myself whenever someone stronger/bigger then me gets the top collar grip. It happens a lot, you made things worse for yourself in a couple of exchanges when you let uke do that to you. Shudder shrug, break the grip, use ashi waza to stagger them/footwork, tie up their hand, but make it hard for them to get that top collar grip on you. You'll still feel their strength but you'll be in far less danger compared to them with that high grip that they use to control our posture with.

I don't cut weight at all but pretty sure you and me would be competing in the same division (145lb) , even with the weight disadvantage I think it be fun to randori with you even if you're across the pond lol. But again props to you and keep up the great work.

Thanks for a great reply.

Funny you should say about the different ne waza set ups, I was drilling 3 different sankaku entries and a rolling strangle set up. Just hadn't drilled it enough for it to happen naturally. Rest assured I'll be working very hard on them.

If you look closely, you'll see on at least two occasions I look at the ref with, 'are you fucking serious?' eyes when he stands us up.

I've only had to cut due to bad diet and booze. If I'm going to take it seriously and compete this year, I'll be a couple of pounds off 145 at worst.

Cheers again.
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby beast775 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:54 pm

judojake wrote:
This might just inspire to do just do it.

I really hope so.

I promise you, if you don't hurry up and do it, you'll turn 30 saying, 'what if.....'
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to MMA Discussion