Close
Login
Register

my first jap-jiujitsu class tonight

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

my first jap-jiujitsu class tonight

Postby LesnarNutCracker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:57 pm

I felt the need to post the fact that its my first class tonight. Its with gui, I have rolled without gui doing bjj, but I have never worn a gui while rolling ever. Kinda feels cool, this thing is heavy kind of like a heavy cotton body armor. Anyways should be good, ill be doing some Judo too. Should be fun.

any tips to avoid being owned with gui? just some basic little things, anything really would be apreciated.
LesnarNutCracker
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: my first jap-jiujitsu class tonight

Postby exsanguinator » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 pm

LesnarNutCracker wrote:I felt the need to post the fact that its my first class tonight. Its with gui, I have rolled without gui doing bjj, but I have never worn a gui while rolling ever. Kinda feels cool, this thing is heavy kind of like a heavy cotton body armor. Anyways should be good, ill be doing some Judo too. Should be fun.

any tips to avoid being owned with gui? just some basic little things, anything really would be apreciated.

I can't offer any real advice for Judo but I can tell you that once the fight hits the mat 'grip fighting' becomes incredibly important. That is, don't let your opponent get a good grip high up your lapel because he will choke you with it. In the gi fighting for the right grip on your opponent's gi becomes almost as important as fighting for the best position. Also, take your time. Gi jiu jitsu is a game of patience more than anything as there are so many more ways to be controlled and to lose than there is in nogi. If you end up in any kind of dominant position you want to be going for a good grip high up on their lapel and if you are fighting from inside of their guard you'll want to control their sleeves until you get a good opportunity to pass.

That's all I can give you since I don't have a whole lot of experience in the gi. Also, prepare to kiss nogi good bye because if you are anything like me or most other grapplers that have no wrestling background/aspirations to do MMA then you will most likely never feel the need to roll nogi again.

Good luck!
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Re: my first jap-jiujitsu class tonight

Postby LesnarNutCracker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:56 pm

yeah fuck no gi now. haha you feel too good wearing this thing. Besides wrestling takedowns are still effective with gi, in fact master Phil my teacher made us practice some double leg take downs and made us fight the stand up- punch kicks- muay thai clinch he said anything goes - 1 guy attacks the other guy defends. pretty fun. My teacher is also a 7th degree black belt in Judo I definetly look forward to the next class. Takahashi dojo in Ottawa Canada is good.- prob more for judo though but the guy knows his jiujitsu too.
LesnarNutCracker
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Ground Game