Close
Login
Register

My contribution to you guys

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

My contribution to you guys

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:49 pm

My knowledge is not close to that of most of the people that post here. I did take Anatomical Kinesiology in college, just enough to learn the parts of the body and impress my wife with words like iliac crest, but not enough to give great advice around here.

But in college I also took a class on excel and have used the program for a million different things, from figuring out loads for ammo loading for specific velocity goals to keeping track of bills. Recently I have started using it for keeping track of my diet and exercise. I found a spreadsheet online for Wendlers 5-3-1 program and thought it was a great idea. Unfortunetely I could not download it, so I made my own. I also am adding in other workout programs (since I am not at the level to do Wendlers yet), so I have page for starting strength, I added a 1RM calculator and a reverse 1RM calculator and even a calculator for using our very own Red Donn's height based calculations. This is a rough draft of what I would like this to become, but if anyone would like a copy of what I have so far I will be very glad to share it (and receive feed back good or bad). Also if there is any other work outs you think I should add to it, or changes I should make by all means let me know. It is very easy to use and does all of the math for you. I even have it set so that when I type in 72" and see that the "Abercrombie" bench press should be 254 and my 1RM is only 193 it tells me that I am only at 76% of the goal.

Ok enough rambling. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Re: My contribution to you guys

Postby Fearless6691 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:12 am

irishmike357 wrote:My knowledge is not close to that of most of the people that post here. I did take Anatomical Kinesiology in college, just enough to learn the parts of the body and impress my wife with words like iliac crest, but not enough to give great advice around here.

But in college I also took a class on excel and have used the program for a million different things, from figuring out loads for ammo loading for specific velocity goals to keeping track of bills. Recently I have started using it for keeping track of my diet and exercise. I found a spreadsheet online for Wendlers 5-3-1 program and thought it was a great idea. Unfortunetely I could not download it, so I made my own. I also am adding in other workout programs (since I am not at the level to do Wendlers yet), so I have page for starting strength, I added a 1RM calculator and a reverse 1RM calculator and even a calculator for using our very own Red Donn's height based calculations. This is a rough draft of what I would like this to become, but if anyone would like a copy of what I have so far I will be very glad to share it (and receive feed back good or bad). Also if there is any other work outs you think I should add to it, or changes I should make by all means let me know. It is very easy to use and does all of the math for you. I even have it set so that when I type in 72" and see that the "Abercrombie" bench press should be 254 and my 1RM is only 193 it tells me that I am only at 76% of the goal.

Ok enough rambling. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Wow, thanks man
Sounds like some great stuff. I had a 531 calculator but I decided to stop spinning my wheels on 531 and get back on SS.
Do you have a link? I tried making some of my own spreadsheets but failed miserably.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Acepitbull » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 am

Irish....that's pretty cool man. I'd like to check it out too. Post a link if you can.

Also.....like your Mark Rippetoe quote. He's a good one to listen to.
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.-Mark Twain

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.- Confucius
Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks guys, I don't have a link it is on my laptop. I am still working on it. Actually added a tab for "Acepitbull 3x3" lol. PM me your email if you want and I can send you over the copy I have right now to see if you guys like it or not. If you don't want me to email you then you gotta tell me how to post it online cause I have no clue how.

Love the Ripptoe quote. It popped up yesterday when I was reading some stuff and thought it was freaking great. :twisted:

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby red_donn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 pm

You wish to challenge an economics major to a battle of excel modeling!?!?

Accepted motherfucker. My Olympic lifting PR matrix is gonna show you how we do shit in my neck of the woods. :twisted:
(Actually, that would just really be a matter of formatting and basic if-then, vlookup, and maybe pivot table commands)

Seriously though, I'm a little crazy in this regard as you might also be. As a kid I hand-wrote spreadsheets to model out how decks for playing card games should work. Given that, I'm not entirely certain why I have such distaste for statistics - I guess I'm a calculus guy at heart. :geek:

Just yesterday I ran through a series of calculations to check on how fat I could allow myself to get while bulking and still make acceptable progress. Turns out that if I gain one percentage point in bodyfat for every 10 pounds gained, I'll still be making excellent progress. I'll be doing another post on that shortly, as a follow up to my lifting standards. It's actually rather fascinating to get some real numbers pegged to this stuff. Before I thought my bf cutoff would be 15%, assuming 12.5-13.5 is accurate at present, but if I could keep the percentage bodyfat increase to 1% per ten pounds, I could push it to 20% before taking the fat off. I'd be psyched as fuck with that result.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Haha Red Donn I was an economics major too, at first anyway. I really didn't do anything crazy with the spread sheets though, just some basic calculators to figure out some things without having to always do the math. Actually it had too many self calculations at first so I made it simpler so you can just fill in the weights you actually lifted and your goals.

If I had more knowledge I would add a timeline goal chart like, if I want to bench 275 pounds I would need to add x% each month and to do that I would need to do x this month x the next x the next. Actually that does not sound too hard lol.

My Fantasy MMA League spread sheets were way more in depth and complicated using vlookup and the like.

So do you have any spreadsheets that you use Don? I would love to see some of your ideas that you have used.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby Acepitbull » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

irishmike357 wrote:Thanks guys, I don't have a link it is on my laptop. I am still working on it. Actually added a tab for "Acepitbull 3x3" lol. PM me your email if you want and I can send you over the copy I have right now to see if you guys like it or not. If you don't want me to email you then you gotta tell me how to post it online cause I have no clue how.

Love the Ripptoe quote. It popped up yesterday when I was reading some stuff and thought it was freaking great. :twisted:

I'm listed right along side of Wendler and Rippetoe? I've made it! I'm a somebody now! :shock: Seriously, it's not my program. I'm not sure who was the first to come up with it. I've just worked it off and on for years.
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.-Mark Twain

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.- Confucius
Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 pm

red_donn wrote:You wish to challenge an economics major to a battle of excel modeling!?!?

Accepted motherfucker. My Olympic lifting PR matrix is gonna show you how we do shit in my neck of the woods. :twisted:
(Actually, that would just really be a matter of formatting and basic if-then, vlookup, and maybe pivot table commands)

Seriously though, I'm a little crazy in this regard as you might also be. As a kid I hand-wrote spreadsheets to model out how decks for playing card games should work. Given that, I'm not entirely certain why I have such distaste for statistics - I guess I'm a calculus guy at heart. :geek:

Just yesterday I ran through a series of calculations to check on how fat I could allow myself to get while bulking and still make acceptable progress. Turns out that if I gain one percentage point in bodyfat for every 10 pounds gained, I'll still be making excellent progress. I'll be doing another post on that shortly, as a follow up to my lifting standards. It's actually rather fascinating to get some real numbers pegged to this stuff. Before I thought my bf cutoff would be 15%, assuming 12.5-13.5 is accurate at present, but if I could keep the percentage bodyfat increase to 1% per ten pounds, I could push it to 20% before taking the fat off. I'd be psyched as fuck with that result.

Well Im not a spreadsheet wizard like you guys...but wouldnt 20% be extremely excessive? Even if you had no problem cutting the bf without much loss of muscle mass, you would get negative effects from the nutrient partitioning, insulin resistance, and higher aromatase via excess bf which would undoubtedly slow down your goals? (Unless you dont care about fat/athleticism and just want to be as strong as possible)
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby red_donn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 pm

biscuits69 wrote:
red_donn wrote:You wish to challenge an economics major to a battle of excel modeling!?!?

Well Im not a spreadsheet wizard like you guys...but wouldnt 20% be extremely excessive? Even if you had no problem cutting the bf without much loss of muscle mass, you would get negative effects from the nutrient partitioning, insulin resistance, and higher aromatase via excess bf which would undoubtedly slow down your goals? (Unless you dont care about fat/athleticism and just want to be as strong as possible)

Extremely excessive? No. 20% is fat, as far as I'm concerned, but how low would you set the threshold? Being afraid to breach 15% in this case would likely limit my periods of bulking, or at least make me too cautious during them. This would not be about being healthy at that weight, it would be about not quitting when I began really building some forward progress. Putting up a worst-case scenario of 20% and seeing that I'd still add a fuck-ton of muscle getting to 230 at that bodyfat is very encouraging - it puts things in perspective.

The calculation actually works out to increase the amount of fat to the amount of muscle gained over time. It starts with me adding about 65% lean mass and 35% fat gained for the first twenty pounds, which is optimistic but not wildly off the mark. If you can add 9 pounds of bodyweight, and have 5.5 pounds be lean mass, when you are already over 3 pounds of inch per height, that would be 216 pounds for me, then you'd be wise to take that option. Adding quality mass at the high levels ain't easy.

The real difficulty would be continuing to push my weight up past the first 20 pounds of gain, which isn't a cakewalk in and of itself. If the weight gain didn't slow, and I had reason to believe I was gaining mass at a better than 50-50 ratio, it would behoove me to continue building muscle.

Run the numbers and my lean mass at 242 pounds and 20% bodyfat hits 194. If I settled my body at that weight a touch, then dieted down to 13% bodyfat, I'd be around 220-225. Stripping off 20 pounds of fat in a couple of months is easy.

Edit: I don't relish the idea of being fat, and if I ever started to look plain sloppy, rather than "lifter fat" I'd stop the weight gain. However, a basic inclination to maintain a sub 16% bodyfat can be shown, under some circumstances, to limit progress. Whether I could gain muscle fast enough to justify a jump from 182 to 242 is quite questionable. However, it has inspired me to try much harder to push straight through to 220+ in a single bulk.
Last edited by red_donn on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Acepitbull wrote:
irishmike357 wrote:Thanks guys, I don't have a link it is on my laptop. I am still working on it. Actually added a tab for "Acepitbull 3x3" lol. PM me your email if you want and I can send you over the copy I have right now to see if you guys like it or not. If you don't want me to email you then you gotta tell me how to post it online cause I have no clue how.

I'm listed right along side of Wendler and Rippetoe? I've made it! I'm a somebody now! :shock: Seriously, it's not my program. I'm not sure who was the first to come up with it. I've just worked it off and on for years.

It now actually goes Wendler, Rippetoe, Starr then Acepitbull lol. Really I just didn't want to name it 3x3 cause I have found a few (at least a few) variations lol. Don't worry though, I have only offered this spread sheet to you guys, and since I am not online anywhere else I won't be offering it to anyone. You will be famous as far as this thread takes you lol.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby Fearless6691 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:01 am

Where are these links buddy?
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:33 am

Fearless6691 wrote:Where are these links buddy?

It is on my computer, you would have to give me your email address.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby JohnKG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 pm

irishmike357 wrote:
Fearless6691 wrote:Where are these links buddy?

It is on my computer, you would have to give me your email address.

this sounds real good.. especially interested w/ the height add on, you put in via Red_Donn.

Do you have one for SS?

Edit: If so, I'd be very interested in it...
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm

KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby irishmike357 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:59 pm