Close
Login
Register

Multiple classes back-to-back

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Multiple classes back-to-back

Postby jitzkrieg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey Linkers,

I realize this could have went in either this or the Grappling forum. If it needs to be moved, move it.

So I (stupidly) took some time off from MMA, but now I'm back at my old gym training every day. However, I feel like I have a LOT of ground to make up for the lost time. I noticed yesterday that a couple of the guys were doubling up and sometimes tripling up classes (Kickboxing, then Gi jitz, then No-gi) one right after the other. When I trained a couple years ago, I did the same thing, but always felt that certain important details didn't "click" properly. Since I have been back training, I have been doing either only one class per day (for now until I get my conditioning back), or waiting an hour until the later class starts. In all this, however, I have been really focusing on fundamentals, and drilling the concepts and techniques I learn that day in the break between or when I'm at home so that they really stay solidified and I can resort to them without thinking about it. It seems as if the techniques and information acquired is "clicking" a lot better. To me, it always used to be about getting as many classes in as possible but in retrospect, that was almost counter-productive as many of the little fundamental techniques that are so crucial to an effective game got lost while processing such a vast amount of information. Not to mention that, as the hours go on and you are exerting yourself, most people stop retaining information as explicitly.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on it. Do you find multiple classes back-to-back to be as effective as either just one per day, or at least a break of some kind in between the classes?

Any other tips you might have that can help me get me back to fighting form as quickly and efficiently as possible are always welcome. I'm busting my ass every day, but I'm not getting any younger.
jitzkrieg
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Multiple classes back-to-back

Postby JohnKG » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:47 am

If you're doing multiple classes.. I'd suggest taking some BCAAs in between sessions... you're body won't feel as fatigued and you may find it easier to concentrate on the next portion of class due to not being so exhausted.. stretching correctly would help too (at least it did for me)

I'm not sure what the schedule is.. If it's some kind of stand up that's the first class.. In between classes or when you get home.. it's a lot easier to shadow box to keep your technique correct..

Grappling however is another issue.. I'd think it's hard to work on technique unless you have a practice dummy at home.. I've heard they're a pretty good investment if you're serious about competing in MMA. I've not used one as I've yet to actually take grappling classes.. Though I know I'll get one as soon as I start.. unless you have roommates/friends who are interested in training for grappling but can't afford to join. Teaching them something as quickly as you learn it will help you drill the technique and also assure you have a competitive understanding of how the technique works... Will also give you someone to roll with..

Just some suggestions that may help you out.. Post back what you've started doing and how it's working out.
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby jitzkrieg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 pm

I just wanted to say that, as far as BJJ is concerned, getting Roy Dean's BJJ Blue Belt Requirements DVD was the best thing that could have ever happened... I had the majority of the techniques locked away in my head from when I used to train, but wasn't able to necessarily access them on demand, much less have them be reactionary. Watching that DVD felt like taking NZT (from the movie Limitless). The neural connections to the techniques all began firing once more and the puzzle fell right into place. I was actually mindblown at how quickly all of it came back.

I highly recommend that DVD for starting out, as it covers everything that a beginner level/white belt BJJ class will teach you. Still go to class, and get the mat time in. It is necessary, but grab that DVD and review it regularly and you will grasp the concepts so much quicker.
jitzkrieg
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby halal pig » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:15 am

ive gone and back and forth with the concept of training an hour, taking a break then train another hour. currently though im back to doing em back to back. ive been told its better for your neverous system to do your training in one shot then recovering the rest of the day. ive seen better results one major plus is i only warm up once and only have to show up to the gym once. youll adapt either way though. you might be worn out by the 2nd class but it just takes getting used to. may i ask how old you are? i didnt have too hard of a time adjusting but im also young so idk if maybe thats why it wasnt that hard of an adjustment
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Stand Up