Close
Login
Register

Muay Thai Ranking System?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Muay Thai Ranking System?

Postby Trioxin149 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:41 am

I'm switching training camps in January or February and the new training center I'll be going to has the following requirements in order to be able to be on their Fight Team or even take their "MMA" class. You must have 3 stripes on your white belt in BJJ which is fine and dandy but they also said that you will need to be at least a Green Rank in Muay Thai. The last time I checked, Muay Thai didn't have a ranking system (like boxing) so can anyone explain this to me or is this just specific to this camp?
Trioxin149
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Muay Thai Ranking System?

Postby JohnKG » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:24 am

I thought Muay Thai had different colored ropes to represent their level. Like how Karate uses belts around there Gi. I could be wrong though. Maybe it'll help jog your memory from something you or somebody who reads this post heard/read though. :)
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Trioxin149 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm

I did a quick search online and couldn't find anything but hopefully someone will know :D
Trioxin149
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Lamer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:44 am

The ranking system is fairly simple.

A yellow tassel is given to basic students, ones who have learned all of the basics of Muay Thai.

Green tassels are given to intermediate level boxers who have learned some of the advanced techniques, learned basic combos and have a basic understanding of Muay Thai strategy.

Blue tassels are given to boxers who have proven themselves in the ring.

Red tassels are presented to boxers who have not only proven themselves in the ring, but have shown proficiency in both Muay Thai technique, but also strategy.

Black tassels are given to boxers who have mastered all of the techniques and strategy to the point that they can teach others competently, so basically it's given to those who are then able to become teachers

finally the red and black tassels are given to those who not only have been given the right to teach, but have also shown themselves to be accomplished boxers.

So basically, you need to be an intermediate level Thai boxer. I should note, however, traditionally your record in Muay Thai combat is your rank. IMO, it's dumb as hell. But because Thai fights rarely happen in the US, they need some way to keep track of a students progress.

I'll also note that mongkhon, the head band the poster above spoke of, doesn't have anything to do with your rank or ability as a fighter, but is of the up most importance in Muay Thai. Thai fighters in general are very superstitious, and the mongkhon plays a big role in giving Thai's confidence as well as a sense of safety. You'll never see a Thai Muay Thai fighter not wearing one and they will never remove it themselves.
HW: Barry, JDS, Fedor LHW: Shogun, Mousasi MW: Wand, Belcher WW: Alves, Condit LW: Aoki, Showtime Pettis FW: Aldo, CSJ BW: Renan Barao FlyW: Sergio Pettis StrawW:Rambaa M16

Say what you want, Jose Aldo Jr is P4P number 1.
Lamer
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: At an Errotic Rave in Thailand with a bunch of Korean Zombies.

Postby Trioxin149 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the very detailed response. Exactly what I needed! Sticky that shit! lol
Trioxin149
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JohnKG » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 am

Lamer wrote:The ranking system is fairly simple.

A yellow tassel is given to basic students, ones who have learned all of the basics of Muay Thai.

Green tassels are given to intermediate level boxers who have learned some of the advanced techniques, learned basic combos and have a basic understanding of Muay Thai strategy.

Red tassels are presented to boxers who have not only proven themselves in the ring, but have shown proficiency in both Muay Thai technique, but also strategy.

Black tassels are given to boxers who have mastered all of the techniques and strategy to the point that they can teach others competently, so basically it's given to those who are then able to become teachers

finally the red and black tassels are given to those who not only have been given the right to teach, but have also shown themselves to be accomplished boxers.

So basically, you need to be an intermediate level Thai boxer. I should note, however, traditionally your record in Muay Thai combat is your rank. IMO, it's dumb as hell. But because Thai fights rarely happen in the US, they need some way to keep track of a students progress.

I'll also note that mongkhon, the head band the poster above spoke of, doesn't have anything to do with your rank or ability as a fighter, but is of the up most importance in Muay Thai. Thai fighters in general are very superstitious, and the mongkhon plays a big role in giving Thai's confidence as well as a sense of safety. You'll never see a Thai Muay Thai fighter not wearing one and they will never remove it themselves.

Thanks for all the information..
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Lamer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Hey, no problem. I'm a huge fan of the Art of Eight Limbs and will gladly share my knowledge of it to the best of my abilities.
HW: Barry, JDS, Fedor LHW: Shogun, Mousasi MW: Wand, Belcher WW: Alves, Condit LW: Aoki, Showtime Pettis FW: Aldo, CSJ BW: Renan Barao FlyW: Sergio Pettis StrawW:Rambaa M16

Lamer
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Trioxin149 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 pm

A good art it is.
Trioxin149
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JayDeeHero » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 am

It's a good thing I stumbled on this thread. I was wondering how they did that too, and what those bands meant. I swear...if I ever got anywhere higher than green, I'd wear that thing all the time. Is that disrespect?
"The Sun shines brighter when you look at it, but it shines regardless. Shine for yourself, not just when people are watching." - Jordan Grenyion-Smith

JayDeeHero
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JohnKG » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

JayDeeHero wrote:

It's a good thing I stumbled on this thread. I was wondering how they did that too, and what those bands meant. I swear...if I ever got anywhere higher than green, I'd wear that thing all the time. Is that disrespect?

It ain't trickin if you got it..
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Lamer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:16 pm

JayDeeHero wrote:

I don't see why it'd be disrespectful. Like I said, the tassels don't really mean anything to the thai's. It's bullshit invented here to keep track of students, as Thai fights don't happen regularly. So wear them to your hearts content.

Lamer
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Return to Stand Up