Close
Login
Register

Meows list of best boxers ever/AMA thread

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Meows list of best boxers ever/AMA thread

Postby Mr Meow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:16 pm

So as it says this is my list of top boxers ever. 50-1. In response to the de la hoya/mayweather thread

#50-41
ted lewis
Carlos Zarate
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Jose Napoles
salvador sanchez
Carlos Monzon
manny pacquaio
gene tunney

40-31
wilfredo gomez
Mickey Walker
Tommy hearns
jack dempsey
Alexis Arguello
Larry Holmes
Rocky Marciano
flloyd mayweather jr
khasao galaxy
ricardo lopez

30-20
bernard hopkins
marcel cerdan
ruben olivares
joe frazier
pernell whittaker
jake lamotta
marvin hagler
roy jones jr
julio cesar chavez sr
george foreman
eder jofre

19-11
archie moore
roberto duran
sugar ray leonard
ezzard charles
stanley ketchel
sandy saddler
Sam Langford
Jack Johnson
jimmy wilde
jimmy mcclarin

10-1
barney ross
joe gans
tony canzoneri
harry greb
benny leonard
joe louis
ali
willie pepp
henry armstrong
sugar ray robinson

if you all have any questions about the list feel free to ask. I would have added specific details for each boxer but that would have made this insanely long and difficult to read

read up on these guys and their careers to see why i have some high and some low. This is also simply my opinion. I made this list in a bit of haste so its certainly foulable, especially if i have an extra name or two in there i didnt count precisely. however i am ready to defend my answers and explain why if needed

meow!
Last edited by Mr Meow on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt

Re: Meows list of best boxers ever/AMA thread

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:31 pm

You forgot Ronda Rousey, this list has zero credibility.

I expected better from you
I shook Fedor's hand, and he smiled at my attempt to speak Russian
Most finishes in UFC/Pride/WEC/SF history? CRO COP FOREVER
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Accolades: Shook hands with Fedor Emelianenko, Survivor, Nov. 2015 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, 2016 Linker of the Year

Postby hawdrigoh » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:51 pm

One of the things I like most when I read GOAT boxer lists is going through how many fights a lot of the old-timers actually have. Willie Pep-241, Harry Greb 298...it's borderline absurd when you compare it to today.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
6th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby Mr Meow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:11 pm

hawdrigoh wrote:One of the things I like most when I read GOAT boxer lists is going through how many fights a lot of the old-timers actually have. Willie Pep-241, Harry Greb 298...it's borderline absurd when you compare it to today.

oh i know right? its freaking nuts how often those dudes us to fight back in the day. absolute warriors. like comparing rondas schedule to igor in terms of overall fights. langford and archie moore fought a shit ton too

@BrdrOkm69 i should have added the preface that Ronda is clearly #1 in all combat sports list ever, so this is a list of boxers behind her obviously. :lol: its no fun when we all know Ronda is always going to be #1 coming in
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Survivor (x3)

Postby hawdrigoh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:02 am

Mr Meow wrote:
hawdrigoh wrote:One of the things I like most when I read GOAT boxer lists is going through how many fights a lot of the old-timers actually have. Willie Pep-241, Harry Greb 298...it's borderline absurd when you compare it to today.

oh i know right? its freaking nuts how often those dudes us to fight back in the day. absolute warriors. like comparing rondas schedule to igor in terms of overall fights. langford and archie moore fought a shit ton too

When you really break it down it truly is crazy.

I like your list Meowzaman. I have plenty of questions and since this is an AMA thread I will ask them! My first is a rather simple one though. Did you actually mean to put Julio Cesar Chavez Jr at 23 and not his father?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby stvgabriel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:38 am

hawdrigoh wrote:
Mr Meow wrote:

When you really break it down it truly is crazy.

I like your list Meowzaman. I have plenty of questions and since this is an AMA thread I will ask them! My first is a rather simple one though. Did you actually mean to put Julio Cesar Chavez Jr at 23 and not his father?

I just popped in to inquire about your thoughts on having sugar Ray over Duran. I've heard people claim both sides, just wanted to hear your thoughts.

"In the end things will have to be as they are and always have been: the great things are left to the great, the abysses to the profound, tenderness and thrills to the sensitive, and to sum it up in a few words, everything extraordinary to the extraordinary. "
stvgabriel
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: April 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Feb. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, 2017 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Postby Mr Meow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:27 am

Damn good call mr sir. I didnt see i put the "jr" in there. I for sure meant his father. The son is a real piece of work let me tell ya what. The dad however was a legend. I will edit that here in a second

Good to see you back Gabriel. The Duran vs Leonard debate is indeed a very tough one. I think for the most part both sides are quite entrenched in it. I ranked both a bit lower overall than most do, however i do think both are legit legends of the sport.

Its quite the tough decision to rank Leonard a bit higher. Mayweather held titles in 5 divisions, to durans 4 however i think hagler beat leonard for sure so really i see that aspect overall as quite even. Durans run in his best weight class (lightweight) was better than mayweathers best run in his best weight class being welterweight. With that said however i see mayweathers top wins as being slightly better than durans, especially with leonard finishing tommie hearns (even though he lost the rematch which was ruled a draw, leonard himself admits it) when duran got shit knocked down his leg by hearns. Also throw in a finish win over fellow hall of famer wilfred benitez for leonard when benitez beat duran as well as the actual matchups between leonard and duran themselves and the result is me seeing leonard ranked slighty above druan

i hope that made sense. however to be totally fair i see the arguments also for duran being ranked higher than leonard overall. I truly believe its a razor thin decision either way. I just personally see Leonard slightly higher than good ol roberrrrto.
Mr Meow

Survivor (x3)

Postby hawdrigoh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:30 pm

First things first. Gabriel,

It's good to see you dude.

Duran-Leonard is an interesting debate, I usually put Duran higher but have no problem switching them. Both are great.

I've always been interested in Mickey Walker's career for a few reasons, the biggest one being that his balls are made of pure steel (challenging at LHW and HW when he was 150 lbs etc). Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about the specifics of his career but a lot of people rank him quite high (top 20) and you have him around 40. What was your thought process in ranking him there?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby stvgabriel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Im home

"In the end things will have to be as they are and always have been: the great things are left to the great, the abysses to the profound, tenderness and thrills to the sensitive, and to sum it up in a few words, everything extraordinary to the extraordinary. "
stvgabriel
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: April 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Feb. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, 2017 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Postby Mr Meow » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 pm

hawdrigoh wrote:First things first. Gabriel,

It's good to see you dude.

Duran-Leonard is an interesting debate, I usually put Duran higher but have no problem switching them. Both are great.

I've always been interested in Mickey Walker's career for a few reasons, the biggest one being that his balls are made of pure steel (challenging at LHW and HW when he was 150 lbs etc). Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about the specifics of his career but a lot of people rank him quite high (top 20) and you have him around 40. What was your thought process in ranking him there?

Good question mr sir sir. As i look through it again if i could redo it i would bump up walker a few spots. I ranked him a bit too low. however i dont think he should be top 20. dude was a total legend and a guy with a penchant for fighting up weight classes.

with that said meow, the reason i rank walker a bit lowly than most do is because other than jack britton, tiger flowers and a dominant win albeit a weird ending over bert colima, walker doesnt have a whole lot of huge names on his resume for wins. Also i admire the hell out of his huevos for fighting up weight classes. however those losses and the punches he took from dudes way bigger like harry grebb and max schmeling took some zing out of his performances when he would move back down afterwards and fight in the weight classes like lightweight and ww he should have been fighting at all along.

so yeah i would bump him up a few spots but overall i dont rate him as highly as others for those reasons. maybe thats fair maybe thats not. all i know is for not having opposable thumbs i am doing pretty well for myself overall.
Mr Meow

Survivor (x3)

Postby hawdrigoh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:16 am

Cool, yeah I hope I didn't sound like I don't enjoy your rankings or something. I'm interested in a lot of the older guys (pre 1930-40ish) because that's an era I always sort of neglected.

I was hoping more people would post in here lol.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby Mr Meow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:09 am

hawdrigoh wrote:Cool, yeah I hope I didn't sound like I don't enjoy your rankings or something. I'm interested in a lot of the older guys (pre 1930-40ish) because that's an era I always sort of neglected.

oh dude dont be silly! I took no offense to it. A lot of those guys are a hoot to check out who fought waaaaaay back in the day

Jimmy Wilde is one of my favorites of those. dude was 99 pounds, fought in a 112 pound division, and had 100 tko or ko's!! thats insane. talk about dynamite in your fists

joe gans, sandy saddler, sam langford, those are some of my favorite from the era you mentioned as well as Wilde.
Mr Meow

Survivor (x3)

Postby hawdrigoh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
hawdrigoh wrote:Cool, yeah I hope I didn't sound like I don't enjoy your rankings or something. I'm interested in a lot of the older guys (pre 1930-40ish) because that's an era I always sort of neglected.

oh dude dont be silly! I took no offense to it. A lot of those guys are a hoot to check out who fought waaaaaay back in the day

Jimmy Wilde is one of my favorites of those. dude was 99 pounds, fought in a 112 pound division, and had 100 tko or ko's!! thats insane. talk about dynamite in your fists

joe gans, sandy saddler, sam langford, those are some of my favorite from the era you mentioned as well as Wilde.

Damn, that's crazy. Just read a bit more about Wilde….139 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw and 5 NC….99 wins by KO. He said that's a severe understatement for how many fights he actually had (he claims something like 800). These old bastards were insane man.

Saddler was a FW with a 70" reach and his nephew is Grandmaster Flash. So random lol.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby pithikos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 am

yea well why put this in a dead forum I mean come on the first thread in it is Cotto Canelo nearing completion :lol: Cotto Canelo is happening today, why do we even have a boxing forum anymore we should just have one forum Called MMA and combat sports discussion. You guys still living in the 2010 linker.

By the way I like your list even if I disagree here and there and maybe everywhere, but truth be told If I had come up with a top 50 list after I was done I d look at it and change my mind here and there and maybe everywhere :lol: .
ImageImage
pithikos
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby Mr Meow » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:34 am

pithikos wrote:yea well why put this in a dead forum I mean come on the first thread in it is Cotto Canelo nearing completion :lol: Cotto Canelo is happening today, why do we even have a boxing forum anymore we should just have one forum Called MMA and combat sports discussion. You guys still living in the 2010 linker.

By the way I like your list even if I disagree here and there and maybe everywhere, but truth be told If I had come up with a top 50 list after I was done I d look at it and change my mind here and there and maybe everywhere :lol: .

truth be told mr sir, I think this is like the first time i have posted in the boxing/kickboxing or whatever section of this site :lol: I never really visit anywhere else other than the main page discussion boards. I felt like this topic would be dull and a bit too unrelated to mma to post out there however

Its tough to make a top 50 list without leaving out a lot of deserving boxers. I for sure looking back want to switch a few names around, but i could read and reanalyze this shit all day so i gotta leave it alone at some point lol.

who all would you rank higher? or perhaps lower mr sir? just curious.

also @hawdrighghoshgoh. sanddy sadler being grandmaster flashes uncle is so damn random :lol: a cool bit of boxing trivia though. saddler was like the only dude to figure out pepps defense too, he went 3-1 against pep with 2 finishes. anyone else pepp lost to he won the overall series with except for saddler. dude was the only guy who could judge distance and predict pepps defenses and movements.
Mr Meow

Survivor (x3)

Next

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.