Close
Login
Register

Losing weight

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Losing weight

Postby Xomezu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

Dear linkers, i've been around here for awhile, and I get on just about everyday at school to read many posts you guys have. I am trying to lose weight, i am very interested in a fighting career, the thrill of such competition is almost overwhelming.

I have a few questions

I'd like to lose weight and look a little fit before hitting a gym, i'm about 260 right now and i'm about 6 ft tall. What do you suggest I do to lose weight and build more muscle, in the comfort of my own home? I don't really have money for weights or anything, but i'm willing to do any excercises.

I'm only 17, so is it too late for me to start in a fighting career? I hear about all these people who started when they were like 6 years old and stuff, and I just feel like i'd never catch up.

Bottom line, what excercises and different things can I do in my home, to lose weight, build muscle. And should i even think about pursuing such a career?
Xomezu
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Losing weight

Postby Lsquared » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 pm

your young bro do whatever you like, if you never try fighting you will never know...

but getting in shape should be a lifestyle change not just something you do to pull chicks, or look buff because you want to fight etc.

no pop, no fried foods.

pushups, squats, crunches, situps will have you sore in no time...

i would focus more on cardio and diet initially if you want to lose weight, its hard to build muscle and lose weigh at the same time.

get a jump rope excellent cardio, might be hard indoors depending on ceiling height, or start running.

eat whole foods fruit and veggies, lean protein for lunch and dinner.

go to youtube for tutorials on home exercises...

good luck

drink water, no pop, no fried foods, mmmkay
Truth Does Not Demand Belief
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Accolades: Former Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Postby Xomezu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Okay bro i'll take that advice, i'll keep you posted how im comign along. I dont want to build muscle to git chicks or nothing, lol I just want to be healthy. Anyone else have suggestions?
Xomezu
White Belt
White Belt

Postby kusok » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:08 pm

To lose weight eat slightly less calories than you burn (aka caloric deficit)
Success is 100% guaranteed.

Done.
kusok
3rd Professional Linker Victory
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Postby BIGsmalls » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:30 am

alot of fighters started a mixed martial art at age 19 and such, so thats not an issue

sounds like your a little bit on the heavy side

you should try to eat healthier, but most importantly commit to workout and cardio plan

you can take these tips or leave them but I lost alot of weight when I was your age by doing this

start running a mile every day. when you can do more do it

play a sport you enjoy, best way to get in shape

get a gym membership, and start lifting some weights bro

replace all pop with water, I mean 0. this cuts around 20-25% of your calories,,,stay away from fast food other than rare occasions (once a month)

It's up to you if your going to follow any of this, it's your body though
BIGsmalls
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Irishdonal » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Xomezu wrote:Dear linkers, i've been around here for awhile, and I get on just about everyday at school to read many posts you guys have. I am trying to lose weight, i am very interested in a fighting career, the thrill of such competition is almost overwhelming.

I have a few questions

I'd like to lose weight and look a little fit before hitting a gym, i'm about 260 right now and i'm about 6 ft tall. What do you suggest I do to lose weight and build more muscle, in the comfort of my own home? I don't really have money for weights or anything, but i'm willing to do any excercises.

I'm only 17, so is it too late for me to start in a fighting career? I hear about all these people who started when they were like 6 years old and stuff, and I just feel like i'd never catch up.

Bottom line, what excercises and different things can I do in my home, to lose weight, build muscle. And should i even think about pursuing such a career?

There is no easy solution. Im 22 and ahve had back problems for about three years now so got bent out of shape.

1. Cardio is key imo. That will cut more weight off you than a mill sit ups. Personally I think playing a field sport is far better than a threadmill or jogging as you have to push that extra bit.

2. As far as in your own hows there are a few easythings you can do in morning and night. Press ups, squats crunches and even star jumps. Before bed and night are the easiest.

3.Food: This is the toughest but if you looking to get the best benefits the most important. No sugery drinks, no greasy food. Eggss, veg and protein.

Just my two cents :geek:
knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, intelligence is knowing that you don't put a tomato in the fruit bowl
Irishdonal
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Xomezu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 am

I had completely forgot about this post XD.

UPDATE-

I found a small camp where I live in Ohio, began training there for a good couple months. I've never been pushed harder, or felt better in my whole life. Sadly, I lost my seasonal job and am unable to afford it (a lousy 35 bucks a month, not bad at all!)

I lost about 25 pounds in this time, just hoping I can find a job in time to support my new addiction-

TRAINING :)
Xomezu
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:12 pm

I was sitting at 230LBs at 6 feet tall at one point and dropped to 180 in about a years time.

first thing is the healthy way to do it is to aim to lose 2-3lbs MAX a week, so dont get frustrated if you dont notice right away, ussually it take about 3 weeks to notice results. Also at first you will lose alot of water weight.

little lifestyle changes are important, and always set goals.
a few things you can do is take the stairs, walk places as oppose to driving or public transit if its not too far, when you snack on foods try to make it fruits or veggies, drink 2 glasses of water before every meal.

Nutrition:
1. calorie count or write down everything you eat with time stamps, when you're more concious of your intake the average person tends to snack less

2. Eat clean, tend to use the rule that if what you were eating wasnt around 100 years ago, avoid it. Avoid fried foods, if you drink pop make it diet but try to cut down that, try to a solid plate of protien and vegetables for each meal, you may want to look into meal replacements such as protien powder, i personally drink a whey protien drink afterwork out as a lunch/dinner

3. when you work out, circuit training is best, super setting will boost your results greatly. Include high intensity cardio, sprints melt fat off your body. A solid example pf a super set to give you an idea would be to do curls and once you are in the completed position move into an arnold press and repeat and then immediatly move to your next exercise once that one is done until you've completed them all, and do it about 5 times if you can. I personally got into the habbit of doing a short circuit with no breaks in between. Get into the habit of working out 5 days a week. Change your routine often, i reccomend every 4-6 weeks you change your routine up. And dont start combat training when your done, start now, combat training such as MMA, Boxing, Martial Arts, are probably teh 2nd best cardio activity to swimming and it will push you over the hump especially if you enjoy it, start by shadow boxing regularly, if you have a friend you can get to work otu with you pick up some hand pads and gloves, lightly spar with eachother. Pick up a jump rope, i cant stress enough how beneficial they are.

4. visit www.bodybuilding.com regularly, its a great site where you can order supplements, get great result stories, look up exercises, go on forums to get more help.

Good Luck man, whether you follow what i said or not though id give you how i got it done, you'll be fighting in no time if you put the work in.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:15 am

try HIIT, hills sprints is probably the best.

also leangains.com to learn about Intermittent fasting (works very well for most people)
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman