Close
Login
Register

Longevity Thread

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Longevity Thread

Postby discoowl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey guys,
I'm starting this thread for us to post and critique nutritional studies, ideas and fads that we come across that are particularly related to living a long and healthy life. Not necessarily related to being a strong martial artist or getting bigger. Please feel free to add any tips, stories, ideas, herbs, super-foods etc that may be relevant.

I'll start with this headline I read in the paper today. I new this already about processed red meat but was surprised. Apparently poultry and fish are the go:

Huge study shows red meat boosts risk of dying young
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet ... 1ux48.html
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Re: Longevity Thread

Postby ndizzle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 am

^^moderation is the key for me, i like meat but i don't eat steaks every night. i like to eat bison n not just beef. don't know if the study was just beefor what
]

Silva (jojo)(seb) vs Fitch (ndizzle)
ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 am

^ T-Bones for me! I think this is over stated - particularly in Aust where our cows are largely grass fed.

here is the article: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprin ... .2011.2287
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 am

i eat grassfed beef/bison unless i eat at another house.
]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 am

I read somewhere that drinking 3 cups of greentea a day is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to stay healthy
Lowers cortisol (Stress hormone) and increases bloodflow along with other things

One of the superfoods i drink daily is called Maca root. Its in powdered form and is an adaptogen (helps adapt to stress) along with regulating hormones.
I also drink spirulina (blue-green algae) which is another superfood that comes in powdered form.

And one of the most important changes in my diet was just carrying carrots around and snacking on them. They have alot of fiber so my trips to the bathroom are really easy and it's supposdly really good for many other things(idk what though).
It's probably the most convenient snack ever

Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby ndizzle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 am

BLACK RASBERRIES PREVENT COLERECTOL CANCER

Black raspberries contain natural compounds that may significantly reduce the risk of colorectal cancer, according to a study conducted by researchers from Ohio State University and published in the journal Cancer Prevention.

Researchers genetically engineered mice to develop either intestinal tumors or a type of colon inflammation, colitis, known to increase the risk of colorectal cancer. They then fed all the mice a high-risk diet low in calcium and vitamin D and high in saturated fat for 12 weeks. Some of the mice were fed 10 percent of their daily calories from freeze-dried black raspberry powder.

Among the mice engineered to get colitis, black raspberry powder significantly reduced inflammation and cut both the number of new and total tumors by 50 percent. Among mice engineered to get intestinal tumors, black raspberry powder reduced the number of new tumors by 45 percent and the number of total tumors by 60 percent. The effect appeared to be produced, in part, by the suppression of a protein that binds to the artificially modified gene.

The researchers noted that because the black raspberries were found to reduce inflammation, they might also reduce the risk of other chronic inflammation-linked diseases such as heart disease.

Black raspberries are less widely eaten than their red relatives or the similar-looking blackberry. Due to their darker skin, they contain significantly higher levels of cancer-fighting anthocyanins than red raspberries, and are also packed with other phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals.

"In appearance, the black raspberry bears resemblance to the red, yet its color is darker and its shape tends more toward that of a 'skull cap' than the 'ball shape' of the red raspberry. The black species is a very seedy berry, whereas its red counterpart is less seedy and more juicy," writes John Heinerman in the book Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Healing Juices

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034920_black ... z1p47SQbDB
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39971798/ns/health-cancer/
]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am

Turmeric (Curcumin):

This is one of my favourites right now and I'm taking a 500 mg dose daily. (I buy from iHerb as its actually cheaper to ship to Aust. from the US than but locally - go figure).

Here's why in a nutshell:

Antioxidant
Anti-Inflammatory
Antiviral
Anti-Bacteria
Antifungal
Anti-Cancer

Turmeric is a plant native to south India and Indonesia. Its tuberous rhizomes (root like structures) have been used from antiquity as a condiment, as a textile dye, and for medicinal purposes. Curcuminoids are the major substances that give the spice turmeric its yellow color. Curry powder, which is extensively used in Indian cuisine, is largely made of turmeric and other spices such as coriander and fenugreek. Curcuma Longa is the botanical name for turmeric. The major curcuminoids are curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin which are powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.

The anti-inflamm. qualities alone should be enough to get all of us mad martial artists interested but all the other benefits are just added awesomeness. Unlike other NSAI (nonsteroid anti-inflams) recent research sugegsts that curcumin actually helps prevent the cartilage from breaking down in the first place.

anti-inflammatory links:

http://www.smart-publications.com/artic ... d-curcumin

some research links:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=78

http://www.raysahelian.com/curcumin.html

potent anti-carcinogen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin
http://www.curcuminresearch.org/PDF/Ant ... ential.pdf

worth a look see....like everything some side effects apparent - check research articles which I think look at that.

word up!

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:06 am

biscuits69 wrote:I read somewhere that drinking 3 cups of greentea a day is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to stay healthy
Lowers cortisol (Stress hormone) and increases bloodflow along with other things

One of the superfoods i drink daily is called Maca root. Its in powdered form and is an adaptogen (helps adapt to stress) along with regulating hormones.
I also drink spirulina (blue-green algae) which is another superfood that comes in powdered form.

And one of the most important changes in my diet was just carrying carrots around and snacking on them. They have alot of fiber so my trips to the bathroom are really easy and it's supposdly really good for many other things(idk what though).
It's probably the most convenient snack ever

along with curcumin and fish-oil the only other supplement I take is spirulina at the moment besides whey protein of course (about 4-5 500 mg tabs per day). They smell fucking terrible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_ ... plement%29

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:00 am

check out this video i found.

]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 am

ndizzle wrote:i eat grassfed beef/bison unless i eat at another house.

Kind of over-rated in my opinion man, not worth the money.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 am

Fearless6691 wrote:
ndizzle wrote:i eat grassfed beef/bison unless i eat at another house.

Kind of over-rated in my opinion man, not worth the money.

just cant buy beef that are from those factories. i get mine from a local ranch just a bit cheaper from buying grassfed from stores.
]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:31 am

ndizzle wrote:check out this video i found.

good find dude only 20 hits and just uploaded

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby ndizzle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 am

BEE POLLEN Bee pollen can be described as one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. It has been referred to as a "Nature`s fountain of youth" because it provides so many health benefits. It may even be a cure for certain health problems.

Bee pollen has been used for thousands of years. It was used by the early Egyptian and Chinese civilizations. It was also used by Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, 2500 years ago.

Bee pollen is made from plant pollen, a dust sized seed found on the stamen or male reproductive organ, of all flowers. As bees collect nectar from flowers, the pollen sticks to their legs. Bee pollen looks like tiny yellow, tan, orange, and brown balls. The taste can vary depending on what type of plant it comes from. It can be bitter or can have a sweet, nutty flavor.

One of the most amazing things about bee pollen is that it contains all of the nutrients that you need to live. Some studies have shown that mice only fed bee pollen showed no signs of malnourishment. Bee pollen consists of 55% carbohydrates, 35% protein, 3% vitamins and minerals, 2% fatty acids, and 5% other substances. It also contains 14.2% fiber. Bee pollen contains 5 to 7 times the amino acids found in equal weights of beef, milk, eggs or cheese. It is also very high in Vitamin B-complex, which is needed in order to help the body function correctly, and several antioxidants including lycopene, selenium, beta carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E. It also contains lecithin, which has been shown to normalize cholesterol and triglycerides, and it decreases LDL cholesterol, the "bad cholesterol," and increases HDL cholesterol, the "good cholesterol."

Bee pollen offers many benefits:

1. It increases energy levels, most likely due to its high concentration of B vitamins, protein, and amino acids. You may feel a significant increase in your energy levels right away, and it will also improve your stamina and endurance.

2. It may help with weight loss. It contains lecithin, which helps to remove fat from the body and also increases metabolism (or the rate that your body burns fat). Bee pollen also has some diuretic capabilities, which help to decrease food cravings and hunger pangs. This also helps with weight loss.

3. It may help decrease allergy symptoms, and the frequency and severity of asthma attacks may also be reduced. By reducing the amount of histamine the body releases, the body`s allergic response may be stopped before it begins.

In addition to these benefits, bee pollen also is beneficial in improving your immune system, decreasing menstrual cramps, decreasing acne, helping wounds heal quicker, decreasing depression and fatigue, normalizing blood glucose levels, which can help prevent diabetes, improving migraine headaches, improving fertility in males and females, relieving prostate problems, helping with digestive problems, and increasing libido. By helping in all of these different areas, bee pollen may ultimately slow down the aging process. All it takes is 1 teaspoon a day to see a difference. It can also be applied topically as an ointment, which can help with skin problems

http://www.bee-pollen-health.com/
http://www.womens-health-fitness.com/be ... efits.html
http://www.draperbee.com/info/beepollen.htm
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/030466_bee_p ... z1pSFUQ5UC
]

ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 am

^^ there are numerous sites cautioning bee pollen as unsubstantiated (at this point) and overly expensive (see below) also debunked is ginseng - rubbish stuff

Sports Nutrition Myths

Aug 11, 2011 | By Lara Alspaugh

Overview

Athletes are always looking for ways to improve their performance, but unfortunately many athletes want to improve so much that they'll try almost anything. First of all, no food, drug or nutrient quickly increases speed or performance. Athletes are easy prey for unscrupulous companies selling supplements, foods or drugs that promise miraculous improvement. As if this isn't bad enough, some athletes may also listen to inaccurate advice and may avoid eating some foods that really are nutritious.

Here are some of the most common myths athletes fall prey to:

Myth: The more protein and protein supplements you eat, the more muscle you will gain or maintain.
Wrong. There is no evidence that excess protein will lead to more or stronger muscles. In fact, excess protein is stored by the body as fat as are all excess calories.

Myth: Steroids are the best way to develop massive muscles.
Wrong, and dangerously so. Steroids can be very dangerous to use. While steroids are powerful drugs that help build muscle, they have risky side effects. Taking steroids can stunt your growth, cause acne, deepen your voice and alter your sex organs. You can build muscle with diet and exercise. Although it takes a little longer, you're not risking your health.

Myth: Ingesting sugar, honey, soft drinks or any sweets just before competition will provide a burst of quick energy.
Wrong again. Sugary foods eaten just before competition do not improve your speed or strength. That's because it takes the body 1 to 4 hours to digest food. So foods eaten just before an event are in your stomach when you compete. Most of the energy used in competition or practice comes from food--eaten days before the event--that has been stored in your muscles.

Myth: Vitamin supplements will give you more energy and stamina.
Wrong. Expensive mistake. None of the 14 known vitamins supply energy. Some vitamins do help the body use energy. However, these vitamins are easily supplied by an athlete's normal diet. Megadoses of vitamins won't give you more energy or improve your endurance. If you consume more vitamin C or B vitamins than your body needs, they are simply flushed out in your urine.(Giving you very expensive urine). If you consume more vitamins A and D than you need, they are stored in your fat. Too much of these vitamins can be poisonous. Be careful with them, and read labels--when used correctly, they are safe.

Myth: Water during exercise causes upset stomach and slows you down.
Wrong! Almost the opposite of the truth. In fact, drinking fluids during exercise is very important. Drinking 1/2 cup of fluid such as cool water every 10 to 15 minutes during exercise helps replace body fluids lost as sweat. Some sports drinks are OK to use, but water is really the best since you don't really lose that much salt while sweating.

Myth: Drinking milk causes cotton mouth. Cotton mouth is dry mouth due to lack of saliva. It seems to be the result of emotional stress and a loss of body fluids, not drinking milk. But don't drink milk while exercising.

Myth: Muscle cramps are caused by inadequate salt intake.
Wrong again. Cramps are caused by severe losses of water through sweating. Drinking water before, during and after exercise can prevent these water losses. Salt tablets can aggravate this condition by increasing the body's need for water.

Myth: Special supplements such as amino acids, bee pollen, ginseng and brewer's yeast improve athletic performance.
Wrong. There is no evidence that any of these substances improve athletic performance. Most of these items are expensive, and some may even be harmful to both performance and health.
Remember, there are no short cuts to top athletic performance. Anybody trying to sell you one is just taking your money. Be careful, ask questions and be informed.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14304 ... ion-myths/

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-he ... pollen.htm

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby discoowl » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Pomegranate juice:

represents another of the foods recently touted for its health benefits. In some clinical studies, pomegranate juice has been shown to be of significant benefit, especially in the prevention of heart disease. To start, a glass of pomegranate juice contains about 40% of the US Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of Vitamin C. It also has Vitamin A, E and folic acid in good quantities.

Further, pomegranate juice has excellent antioxidant properties. It has about three times more antioxidants ounce for ounce than does red wine or green tea. Many people also enjoy its rich taste, making it a welcome beverage.

Pomegranate juice has been shown to work well as a blood thinner. Some research has shown it may be an excellent agent for promoting blood flow to the heart. It also has been shown to reduce plaque in the arteries, and to raise “good” levels of cholesterol while helping lower “bad” cholesterol.

This preliminary research suggests that pomegranate juice may be helpful in preventing heart disease, heart attacks and stroke. Most physicians are quick to point out pomegranate juice should be just one aspect of a healthy diet and exercise program. Pomegranate juice alone would probably not cure or completely prevent heart disease.

Some research has also evaluated the antioxidant nature of pomegranate juice and its usefulness in fighting certain forms of cancer. Pomegranate juice has been tentatively shown to reduce incidence of breast and skin cancer. It has also been tested and shown to slow the growth of prostate cancer in mice.

Another interesting study has evaluated pomegranate juice and osteoarthritis. Pomegranate juice tends to act as an inhibitor on enzymes responsible for damaging cartilage. These studies applied extract of pomegranate directly onto damaged cartilage. More research would have to examine a cause and effect relationship between oral ingestion of pomegranate juice and reduction in cartilage deterioration.

However, early studies on pomegranate juice suggest it is surely healthy to drink. The fruit can be quite fun to eat as well. There are numerous pomegranate juice products available, many quite highly priced because of the health craze surrounding pomegranate juice. It is likely if continued studies show promising health benefits, more manufacturers of pomegranate juice will emerge and help ease prices through competition.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-be ... -juice.htm

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Nutrition