Close
Login
Register

Ladder Program

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

Ladder Program

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Trying some new shit to up my numbers for squat, bench, and overhead press.

A friend of mine is a competitive body builder who also knows a ton of shit about powerlifting and he recommended it to me when I told him I was trying to get stronger with these three lifts.

20 reps at 40% 1 rep max
18 reps at 45% 1 rep max
16 reps at 50% 1 rep max
14 reps at 55% 1 rep max
12 reps at 60% 1 rep max
10 reps at 65% 1 rep max
8 reps at 70% 1 rep max
6 reps at 75% 1 rep max
4 reps at 80-85% 1 rep max
2 reps at 85-90% 1 rep max

Total of 110 reps.

Did it for overhead press yesterday and squats today, along with some other shoulder and leg exercises on each day. Going to do it for bench tomorrow, probably rest a day, do some arms/abs the next day, then maybe take another off day and start back up with overhead press again on the following day.

Not sure how long I'm gonna do it for before trying for new max lifts, probably 6-8 weeks.

Right now I'm 5'9", 172lbs, about 8-11% body fat. Trying to maintain all of that, although I wouldn't be mad if I gained some weight if I maintain my body fat percentage.

Set my max overhead press to 155lbs, max squat to 285lbs (although squats were easier that overhead press, and I may set it higher for next session), and max bench to 225lbs (might set that one higher as well, depending on how things go tomorrow).

Right now my deadlift 1 rep max is 405lbs, and my goals are to get my combined deadlift, bench press, and squat to 1000lbs, and my overhead press to 185lbs.

I feel like nobody ever checks this part of the forums, but I'll post back here in a couple weeks and/or at the end of the 6-8 weeks with my results.
I shook Fedor's hand, and he smiled at my attempt to speak Russian
Most finishes in UFC/Pride/WEC/SF history? CRO COP FOREVER
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Accolades: Shook hands with Fedor Emelianenko, Survivor, Nov. 2015 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, 2016 Linker of the Year

Re: Ladder Program

Postby Punisher11 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:21 pm

I'll probably be the only one lurking around here... lol and the stand up forum, looks solid, 5x5 training programs works great as well,. looking forward to seeing how this goes :)
14-8
Official P4P Champ- Voted by linker.
Next Level Bet Academy

JD1-My votes went to Punisher11, I think they would take out the Diaz bros in a tag team match.
Cheeburger " tell the legend of punisher 11"
fragiskos- punisher11 legend material, if you think otherwise you are a true noob
jtuck34- no one is stupid enough stand up with that guy
the209of505-The Legend of Punisher is best recounted by Johhny Ringo: "Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
tron8-punisher is the diaz killa!

Punisher11
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Legs are sore as fuck today, the past several leg days I've done they haven't been at all. Feeling pretty good about it though because I've always equated soreness with a good day of lifting.

Bench today was pretty easy, and I think I will end up setting the max for that higher for next week, maybe to 235 or 240. I did some incline press and then circuit flies after flat bench; I wanted to do more shit but I had to clock into work (at the gym, lol).

Squats I think I'll change the max to 300 for next session, and overhead press I'll keep at 155.
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Accolades: Shook hands with Fedor Emelianenko, Survivor, Nov. 2015 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, 2016 Linker of the Year

Postby Punisher11 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 pm

BrdrOkm69 wrote:Legs are sore as fuck today, the past several leg days I've done they haven't been at all. Feeling pretty good about it though because I've always equated soreness with a good day of lifting.

Bench today was pretty easy, and I think I will end up setting the max for that higher for next week, maybe to 235 or 240. I did some incline press and then circuit flies after flat bench; I wanted to do more shit but I had to clock into work (at the gym, lol).

Squats I think I'll change the max to 300 for next session, and overhead press I'll keep at 155.

Make sure your giving your shoulders enough time to recover, for most people that means 2 days of not working that muscle to be 100% again. Also make sure to be doing rotator cuff strengthening exercises... lost to many good man to those injuries.
14-8
Next Level Bet Academy

JD1-My votes went to Punisher11, I think they would take out the Diaz bros in a tag team match.
fragiskos- punisher11 legend material, if you think otherwise you are a true noob
the209of505-The Legend of Punisher is best recounted by Johhny Ringo: "Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

Punisher11
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Did bench again yesterday and my chest is feeling really tight today. It was definitely harder than last week, some sets I couldn't finish so I had to take a little bit of rest time before pumping out the last few reps, plus a few extra to make up for not being able to finish in one go-around. For the last two sets, I could only do the 80% and 85% reps instead of the 85% and 90% ones.

Did squats today and the air conditioning in the gym isn't working so I was not feeling great about them at all :lol: , I started my day by doing some jump rope for about 7 minutes before moving to squats, which definitely made them harder I think. My calves are too small so I've been trying to put in some extra work on those. Around the 5th set of squats I thought it was possible that I would puke at some point, which would've been fine, as I could've played it off because I work here and pretty much everyone knows me. The plan was to make a joke about it, clean it up if I made a mess, then finish the sets.

But fortunately I didn't puke! And ended up finishing every rep of every set without pausing like I did with bench yesterday. Only had time to do some leg extensions after squats before I had to shower and clock in for the night.

Probably gonna do arms tomorrow, then shoulders on Wednesday. I know it's still very early but I'm really liking this regimen so far.
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Did legs yesterday to finish up the 3rd week for each exercise. Squats and bench this week were way easier than last week, but overhead press was still pretty hard. My chest didn't get sore after bench which was cool. Shoulders were a little tight two days after overhead press, and I expect my legs to be very sore tomorrow.
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Benched the other day and felt good, a little hard because I didn't use a lot of rest time between sets. I did 85% and 90% for the last two sets which were kind of hard because I was fatigued, but I was happy with the day overall.

Overhead press today and it was the easiest it's been so far. Got to 85% and 90% for the last two sets on that one as well and felt really great about it.

I deadlifted yesterday and worked up to 385 for 1 rep, then did a few drop sets. Usually I can get to 405 but I haven't been deadlifting as much with this new regimen. So I think tomorrow I'll do arms, and then squats on Friday.
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby smrtplayer1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:15 am

How long are your gym sessions with this?
Sigbet 0-1
smrtplayer1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Just did legs today and I felt great, squats went by super fast and nothing felt super heavy.

smrtplayer1 wrote:How long are your gym sessions with this?

Depending on how many other exercises I do, I'm usually out of there in 2-2.5 hours (including taking a shower). I've been trying to use a bit less rest time because I mostly work out by myself.

Legs today I was there for 2 hours without showering after, because I did 5 other exercises after squats (3 sets each).
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Did bench the other day and felt great doing 85% and 90% for the last two sets, and felt great doing overhead press today with 85% and 90%. Both lifts are definitely getting a lot easier, but on my last set for bench I needed a bit of a spot for the last half of the second rep. I think I was seated too far back in the bench for the set, because all of the previous sets were wicked easy. Unless I just hit a wall super hard or something, which I don't think happened because I did a few exercises after bench and felt good.
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Did some squatting that was outside of the program because I was lifting with my friend; then did bench the day after and felt great. Took a rest day, then did arms, then got back to the squat ladder and the shit was easy even with limited rest time.

Overhead press again yesterday though and that shit was fucking tough. Not really happy with how I performed. Hopefully next week is better.

There's a dude who comes to my gym who was doing overhead press with 275lbs for sets of 2, that's fucking instane.
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby Punisher11 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Weight can have a significant effect on holding heavier weights ( 275 for 2 reps )

How are the lifts coming along? ( numbers )
14-8
Next Level Bet Academy

Punisher11
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Well, I haven't tried to hit a new max for any of the three lifts, but plan to go for them after a few more weeks.

When I started I set my max bench to 225, squat to 285, and overhead to 155.

I don't want to try and set new maxes in the middle of the regimen because I'm afraid that would mess up my progress so far.

I've done overhead and bench 6 times each, and squats 5 times. Gonna do arms today at the gym, then squats tomorrow. Once I've done each of the 3 lifts a total of 8 times, I'm gonna try to set new maxes and will post em up!
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Postby Punisher11 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:18 am

Awesome, and I mean't body weight will have an effect on your ability to hold and maintain a stable core for heavier lifts.

How much experience do you have weigh training ?
14-8
Next Level Bet Academy

Punisher11
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby BrdrOkm69 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Ohhh alright I get what you mean. I weigh about 172 right now and I don't think any of the goals I've set are too far out of my reach. Just gonna take some work to get there.

I started lifting weights the summer after the winter of my freshman year of high school with a few friends... form was pretty bad but we went all the time. Got really busy with school and other extracurricular activities (I wrestled so I stayed in good shape) so I chilled with the weights for a while, then got back into the swing of things after senior year of wrestling. I was working at McDonald's through most of high school so I definitely was not in the best shape because of the shit food I was eating all the time, but I was pretty athletic.

Freshman year of college I continued lifting at school with my roommate, who was my best friend from high school who also wrestled. He was super committed to getting huge and probably weighed 230 at his heaviest (he's 6'1"), so lifting with his was awesome because he really pushed me and motivated me to keep going.

Sophomore and junior years I was pretty depressed and lazy, definitely some dark times for me, and I wasn't in the gym much at all. Senior year I moved into a house with my freshman year roommate and 3 of my other best friends, all but one of them worked out and they would always ask me to go with them, so one day I said fuck it and went. At that point I was really not happy with how I looked and some bitch broke my heart, so I figured it'd be good for my confidence if I started lifting again. That was probably early April of 2015, and I've been lifting consistently since then, usually at least 4 days a week. That was also the first time I actually started drinking protein shakes consistently.

The summer after graduating I got a job at a gym in my town, so it makes it easier for me to go. The start of that summer my body fat percentage was about 17%, so along with lifting I did sprints a lot, and got it down to about 9%. Haven't done sprints in a while, but the percentage floats around 10%. I don't do too much cardio and just lift, and I fuckin love it. My confidence is higher than it's ever been and I love the way I look, which was the entire reason I started lifting again. I feel like I started back up again at the perfect time, now while everyone else is on their asses getting fat I'm staying ripped :hand1: :hand1:
BrdrOkm69
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Next

Return to Conditioning and Strength Training