Close
Login
Register

K-1 World Grand Prix Final

Discuss all other combat sports here.

K-1 World Grand Prix Final

Postby meyer1244 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:40 pm

http://combatcrew.net/blog/2008/11/29/k-1-world-grand-prix-final/

This breakdown was written by just Tottenham,Meyer handled the WEC card this week

- RESERVE BOUTS

ImagePAUL SLOWINSKI vs. MELVIN MANHOEFImage

The night starts off with the return from a short 3 month retirement for Melvin Manhoef and signals his return to kickboxing after getting KO’d by Remy Bonjasky in K-1 Amsterdam this year. This should be a good fight as both are veterans of the promotion and of course excellent kickboxers, and both share the common last opponent in Bonjasky, both falling short in their attempts. Manhoef in kickboxing holds his most notable win over Ruslan Karaev and holds two losses to Bonjasky and a loss to Ray Sefo. As for Slowinski, he holds notable wins over Mighty Mo, Rony Sefo, Bjorn Bregy and had one of best kickboxing bouts this year at K-1 Hawaii with Aziz Jahjah, and losses to Semmy Schilt, Badr Hari, Glaube Feitosa, and Gokhan Saki. I’m expecting this to be a close fight, I can’t see a real clear cut advantage either way, Slowinski hasn’t looked the best in recent fights in my opinion, and even Manhoef did lose against Bonjasky in his last kickboxing bout he gave a very spirited effort and for some reason (maybe even a litte bias) I think Melvin is going to take this, chopping away with lowkicks and head hunting as he usually does. I even think he’ll get a late third round KO in this one, but like I said it could go either way.

Manhoef via third round KO.

ImageRAY SEFO vs. HONG MAN CHOIImage

A “freakshow” bout is what we get when these two are paired up, as K-1 kickboxing stablemate Ray Sefo takes on one of the tallest combat sports competitors in the world today, Hong Man Choi. Choi returned to kickboxing after being recruited into the South Korean army earlier this year after his NYE MMA match with kingpin Fedor Emelianenko, for the Final 16 in Seoul, losing by TKO against Hari after Hari had broken one of his ribs with a body shot. Ray Sefo, one of the all time favourites, has been on a horrible slump as of late, losing 6 straight dating back to his early 2007 loss to Semmy Schilt for the super heavyweight belt. In his last performance after gaining entrance into the Final 16 by recomendation, he fought young gun Gokhan Saki and didn’t perform as bad as initially predicted, taking Saki to an extra round, yet his cardio failed him in a match that he could have won if not for that. In this fight, the better kickboxer is most definitely Sefo, and if even looking at their last performances, Choi looked awful against Hari whereas Sefo didn’t look so bad. Yet the height and reach disadvantage in this fight for Sefo, who is probably around 5′10, is awful. Choi has been KO’d only once and by a shorter kickboxer in Mighty Mo, yet even still I can’t bring myself to pick Sefo here. I think the cards are stacked too much against him in terms of physical advantages for Choi, and even though he is the better fighter, I think Sefo will lose a unanimous decision in this contest. But I’ll be rooting for Ray no doubt.

Choi via unanimous decision.

- FINAL 8 BOUTS

ImageEWERTON TEIXEIRA vs. ERROL ZIMMERMANImage

Two of K-1’s youngest stars and two of 2008’s breakout kickboxing stars meet in the Final 8, as Brazilian Kyokushin champion Ewerton Teixeira takes on one of Golden Glory’s new stars, Holland’s Errol Zimmerman. Both in their last fights dispatched true K-1 veterans at the Final 16, Teixeira beating Musashi and Zimmerman destroying Glaube Feitosa. His last win was Teixeira’s most notable opponent but also holds a win over Kenjiro Maeda in his short kickboxing career. Same goes for Zimmerman, yet has good wins over Zabit Samedov and Bjorn Bregy. In my last breakdown I completely counted out Zimmerman, even though I stated how much I admired his heart and determination in winning the K-1 Amsterdam tournament, yet felt that he would be outclassed by Feitosa, but the opposite ended up happening. Both have promising futures, but I think right now the advantage has got to go to Zimmerman, he’s the more experienced kickboxer, holds better wins and even with Teixeira’s heavy hands, I think Zimmerman will shine through and take home a unanimous decision. I guess I won’t let myself write him off again.

Zimmerman via unanimous decision.

ImageGOKHAN SAKI vs. RUSLAN KARAEVImage

Two more young prospects square off as Turk Gokhan Saki takes on Russia’s Ruslan Karaev. Both hold some good wins, with Saki edging out Ray Sefo in his last bout and beating Randy Kim and Paul Slowinski in the past. Karaev holds notable wins over Badr Hari, Chalid Die Faust, and Aleksander Pitchkunov, and notable losses to Hari, Manhoef and Feitosa, all by stopage. Based on last performances, Karaev impressed me a lot, especially with the stoppages over Die Faust and Pitchkunov (to win K-1 in Taipei) and like Saki, both won their respespective K-1 Final 16 qualification tournaments by beating all opponents by stoppage. Yet, with Saki’s last win over Sefo, he almost looked tenative and there were rumors of exteme nerves going into the biggest fight of his life, and this the biggest oppurtunity and tournament, who knows how he’ll fare. Make no mistake Ruslan won’t go easy on him, and I think he will end up finishing Saki in the second round with a KO, but this should be a great fight, and like all these bouts, very tough to call either way.

Karaev via second round KO.

ImageREMY BONJASKY vs. JEROME LE BANNERImage

Another great matchup as two of K-1’s true veterans square off for the second time. Le Banner of course, one of K-1 greatest kickboxers along with Ray Sefo never to win a world GP title. He holds notable wins over Remy Bonjasky, Hong Man Choi, Gary Goodridge, Stephan Leko, Mark Hunt, Junichi Sawayashki and Musashi and notable losses to Peter Aerts, Sawayashki and three losses to Semmy Schilt. Bonjasky holds wins over Badr Hari, Melvin Manhoef, Mighty Mo, Stephan Leko and Hong Man Choi and holds notable losses to Mighty Mo, Le Banner and Aerts. This is such a close fight again, Le Banner hasn’t looked too impressive this past year, and even in his lackluster rematch win over Sawayashki and Bonjasky has looked much better with stoppages of Volk Atajev and Manhoef, and a comfortable decision win over Slowinski. Just in light of recent performances, i’m going to give the edge to Bonjasky and I think he’ll get a razor thin decision over Le Banner, even going to an extra round, with a rubber match in the near future.

Bonjasky via extra round split decision.

ImageBADR HARI vs. PETER AERTSImage

Two of my personal favourite kickboxers collide as Peter Aerts and the “Golden Boy” Badr Hari collide in a match i’ve been waiting a while to see. Aerts, coming off his dethroning of Semmy Schit at Final 16 in Seoul (to everyone’s delight) and an earlier win this year over Jan Nortje, but of course Aerts has fought anyone who is anybody over the past 15 or so years in K-1. Hari, K-1’s number one prospect, the light heavyweight champion and holds notable wins over Ruslan Karaev, Stephan Leko, Ray Sefo, Glaube Feitosa, Paul Slowinski and Peter Graham, with notable losses to Graham, Leko and Karaev. In this fight, as much as I like both a lot, I’m a bit biased towards Hari, as watching his KO of Stephan Leko turned me on to K-1 in the first place. Both fighters are excellent, the only knock some people have gave Hari is there may be some questions about his chin, and maybe Aerts could be criticized for his last two wins being very scrappy fights. But when this matchup was announced I thought Hari would be the one to take it, and the winner of this fight will win the tournament in my opinion, either outcome I wouldn’t mind seeing.

Hari via unanimous decision.

Matts picks
===============
Manhoef via third round KO.
Zimmerman via unanimous decision.
Karaev via second round KO.
Bonjasky via extra round split decision.
Hari via unanimous decision.

PREDICTED TOURNAMENT WINNER: Badr Hari over Remy Bonjasky via unanimous decision.

Meyers picks
===============
Slowinksi via unanimous decision.
Texiera via 3rd round TKO
Saki via Extra round split decision.
Bonjasky via unanimous decision
Hari via split decision

PREDICTED TOURNAMENT WINNER: Badr Hari over Remy Bonjasky via unanimous decision.
meyer1244
Mod Emeritus

Re: K-1 World Grand Prix Final

Postby eggyegg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 pm

I think Hari also. But I hope Aerts wins... :biggrin: :lol:
eggyegg
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Hall of Famer

Postby gigica1 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:58 am

aerts is down...that's a very sad day for me ... class is replaced by arrogance
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby julz555553 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:37 am

OMG I HATE ALL MOROCANS NOW :x :x :x
WAR AERTS FOREVER :cry: :cry: :cry:
julz555553
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby gigica1 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 am

... aerts lost, karaev lost, le banner lost ... it's on between hari and bonjaski ... hari had a hard fight with zimmerman and took some nice low kicks from aerts...will that incline the balance?
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: K-1 World Grand Prix Final --> spoiler alert

Postby Harvallen » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:39 am

What a piece of crap Hari is. In the match of the year, the freakin ultimate final round, he gets it into his head to stomp and kick on Bonjasky's head when he's down. Moroccans in Holland already have a bad name and this will make matters even worse. Good job, asshole. :evil:
Now stand aside, worthy adversary. 'Tis but a scratch. A scratch?! Your arm's off. No it isn't. Then what's that then. I've had worse.
Harvallen
White Belt
White Belt

Postby badaxe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 pm

K, i realize that any stomp to the head hurts a great deal, but when u watch the final fight the back of Remy's head does not even contact the mat, the stomp delivered wasn't even hard enough to snap his head back a few inches. I have to say, Remy was faking the injury knowing he would win the tourny for sure if he said he couldn't continue. Those guys take way harder shots then that! Anyone else seeing an Oscar in Remy's future??
"ITS NOT THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, ITS THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE DOG"
4-0 Sigbet Record
FS WF SP
badaxe
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby piesek » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:32 pm

badaxe wrote:K, i realize that any stomp to the head hurts a great deal, but when u watch the final fight the back of Remy's head does not even contact the mat, the stomp delivered wasn't even hard enough to snap his head back a few inches. I have to say, Remy was faking the injury knowing he would win the tourny for sure if he said he couldn't continue. Those guys take way harder shots then that! Anyone else seeing an Oscar in Remy's future??

Are you retarded? Its about fairplay and Badr Hari showed a false attitude with his illegal stomp. There is no discussion that he had to get disqualified.
Its sad that such a talented guy acts like he did...
piesek
White Belt
White Belt

Postby badaxe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:42 pm

piesek wrote:
badaxe wrote:K, i realize that any stomp to the head hurts a great deal, but when u watch the final fight the back of Remy's head does not even contact the mat, the stomp delivered wasn't even hard enough to snap his head back a few inches. I have to say, Remy was faking the injury knowing he would win the tourny for sure if he said he couldn't continue. Those guys take way harder shots then that! Anyone else seeing an Oscar in Remy's future??

Are you retarded? Its about fairplay and Badr Hari showed a false attitude with his illegal stomp. There is no discussion that he had to get disqualified.

wo wo wo, i'm by no means saying what he did was right, i think he should have been immediatly disqualified. I'm saying that i believe Remy could have continued had he wanted too
"ITS NOT THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, ITS THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE DOG"
4-0 Sigbet Record
FS WF SP
badaxe
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby piesek » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:53 pm

badaxe wrote:
piesek wrote:

wo wo wo, i'm by no means saying what he did was right, i think he should have been immediatly disqualified. I'm saying that i believe Remy could have continued had he wanted too

Well, sry then. This fight just fucked me up^^
But i dont think that anyone can blame Remy here, he is a great fighter and I´m sure that he could go on, but he has his reasons why he didnt.
Lets w8 for an interview
piesek
White Belt
White Belt

Postby badaxe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:57 pm

piesek wrote:
badaxe wrote:
piesek wrote:

Well, sry then. This fight just fucked me up^^
But i dont think that anyone can blame Remy here, he is a great fighter and I´m sure that he could go on, but he has his reasons why he didnt.
Lets w8 for an interview

True that. i wouldn't fight more either a win's a win. but for the sake of arguing, remy or badr?
4-0 Sigbet Record
FS WF SP
badaxe
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby OMGLASERGUNPEWPEW » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm 100% positive Remy could have continued the fight but in his place I would do exactly the same.
The prick stomped him,end of story.
Btw if there wasn't for that stomp Hari would have probably won which makes him even a bigger idiot.

At least he got Kimbo to shit his pants =)
CRO-COP WARWAGON.
I'll be the ONLY idiot posting dead drunk from now on so please don't take me serious.
Gomi,CC,Fedor,Nog and Saku (yy,I'm the one who's drunk). ^^
OMGLASERGUNPEWPEW
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby piesek » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:50 pm

def Badr
I remember as he lost a fight and said he won´t fight anymore. Unfortunatly his temper is like the of a pregnant women....
He is maybe atm the best in K1, but far away of being a real champion with the proper attitude.
piesek
White Belt
White Belt

Postby kusok » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:19 pm

OMGLASERGUNPEWPEW wrote:I'm 100% positive Remy could have continued the fight but in his place I would do exactly the same.
Btw if there wasn't for that stomp Hari would have probably won which makes him even a bigger idiot.

Remy was winning the fight. He scored a knock down too. There is no evidence to suggest Hari would win.

And what's with everyone MMA'ing Remy??? Bob Sapp did it to him, now this tool is doing it!
kusok
3rd Professional Linker Victory
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Postby OMGLASERGUNPEWPEW » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:45 pm

kusok wrote:
OMGLASERGUNPEWPEW wrote:I'm 100% positive Remy could have continued the fight but in his place I would do exactly the same.

Remy was winning the fight. He scored a knock down too. There is no evidence to suggest Hari would win.

And what's with everyone MMA'ing Remy??? Bob Sapp did it to him, now this tool is doing it!

Hari just started to kick his ass and Remy was winning the fight just until he got KO'd,after that the fight would be slighly on Hari's side.
Damn it Kusok,we disagree on every single issue or post.
You're like my evil twin brother :lol:
CRO-COP WARWAGON.
I'll be the ONLY idiot posting dead drunk from now on so please don't take me serious.
Gomi,CC,Fedor,Nog and Saku (yy,I'm the one who's drunk). ^^
OMGLASERGUNPEWPEW
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.