Close
Login
Register

Just started training in Muay Thai and need advice on gear

Discuss the gear and equipment you have used to be successful

Re: Just started training in Muay Thai and need advice on gear

Postby knock0utp0werK0P » Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 pm

thesmoothest wrote:
Coffin wrote:Get a good mouth guard! Get a custom one fitted from your dentist. This is very important.

for sure. i got my custom done by unbreakable mouth pieces. they are very good at what they do. i got my molds from my dentist and mailed them to hector out in cali. took a month or 2 but i got custom graphics. couldnt be happier with it tho.

damn u went all out but im just jealous :x
word
knock0utp0werK0P
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Former US Champ

Postby Mexicutioner » Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 pm

i had some generic no name leather hook and loop 14oz when i first started in Muay Thai. they where what i tought awesome, but it was all i knew then i found it had very little wrist support. then i bough everlast 140z boxing gloves because i got an extremely good deal, i bought three bran new pairs at 9.99 each, regular price was 39.99. so i got me 2 pairs and one for my gf. i loved them especially the price. one pair was 14 and the other 16oz. i love the 16oz gloves. made me faster in the long run, sometimes i sparr with my 14 and i feel so fast. my shin guards are also hook and loop leather no brand from thai land, good and cheap.

im happy, and i have been to several gyms, currently at an MMA GyM ive been told my Muay Thai is pretty good. i started at an exclusive Muay thai gym in eAST la BEFORE THE mma craze. like anything try them out see what works for you. but if money was no option i personally would get Fairtex leather, Windy Leather, or Cleto Reyes leather.
Mexicutioner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Humanzee » Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 pm

I did Muay Thai for six months. Its good to have a pair of 16oz for sparring.

If you are interesting in MMA, maybe get a pair of 8oz MMA gloves for bag work.

Depends on what you are going for.

Also get some good shin pads for sparring, your shins will be hurting for a while. I still kick my heavy bag everyday, I couldn't kick it full strength when I first started training, now I can kick the hell out of the bag, no problem.
Humanzee
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby knock0utp0werK0P » Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 pm

is anything from DICKS or Sports authority a NO-NO? or not necessarily?
word
knock0utp0werK0P
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Tue May 04, 2010 10:56 pm

yo man i copied this from another thread i posted in.

If you're looking for a thai-brand glove then you have several options. These include Fairtex, Twins, Top King, Windy, Boon, Raja. I'll briefly discuss each brand to help you make your decision.

Fairtex- considered top of the line in the Thai industry and will be the most expensive (BGV1 model is about $90). These gloves are very compact (smaller in size) when compared to other gloves. Hand compartment is a little spacious but none the less a very good glove and a great choice.

Twins- Good glove if you get a good pair. Quality control is an issue with Twins. Very tight hand compartment and cushy foam which is a plus for sparring (you dont want to hurt your partners). Wrist support is lacking however.

Top King- newer brand that was produced by the brother of Twins. Current reviews put their quality above Twins but I have no personal experience. Since it is a new product however you will have trouble finding a pair in the states meaning you will have to order from Thailand.

Windy- One of the original Thai gloves and pretty common to find in the states. Padding is pretty dense and the hand compartment is very spacious. Not my ideal glove but may be better suited for people with larger hands. Good velcro though.

Boon- beautiful leather and very nicely fitting glove. Plain look and no flashly designs. However I question the quality on these gloves. Mine have some poor stiching and are starting to come apart inside the hand compartment. Nonetheless they are a solid glove for the price.

Raja- to be honest I dont have any experience with this brand but I have heard several complaints that the graphics wear off really quickly on the glove. So if you're looking for a flashly design dont go in this direction.

There are numerous other brands that are made for western boxing but are more than practical for muay thai. If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask.
Wrestlers are like cockroaches, you put them on their back and they die.

I AM THE TRUE SHOGUN OF MMALINKER!!!!
ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Location: armbarring Shadowmoses while he cries like a girl in Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Postby ryyonvin » Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 pm

knock0utp0werK0P wrote:is anything from DICKS or Sports authority a NO-NO? or not necessarily?

if you actually respect your hands do them a favor and dont buy gloves from here. Unless you're one of those people who just hit the heavy bag in their basement, garage or w/e then go for it. But if you actually train then for the love of god do yourself a favor and spend at LEAST 50 bucks on a good pair.

ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Location: armbarring Shadowmoses while he cries like a girl in Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Postby knock0utp0werK0P » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

ryyonvin wrote:
knock0utp0werK0P wrote:is anything from DICKS or Sports authority a NO-NO? or not necessarily?

if you actually respect your hands do them a favor and dont buy gloves from here. Unless you're one of those people who just hit the heavy bag in their basement, garage or w/e then go for it. But if you actually train then for the love of god do yourself a favor and spend at LEAST 50 bucks on a good pair.

Does NY have any good stores u know of? All we got in my area is Tiger Schulmans MMA :lol: and Matt Serra's overpriced gym :wink:
word
knock0utp0werK0P
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Tue May 04, 2010 11:05 pm

No_Gi wrote:I was checking out Fairtex's bread and butter. Are those good for mitt work and bag work? I don't know if it makes difference in but I'm 5'6" and weigh 148 pounds.

By the way, I just posted this a little while ago and already got a lot of responses. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

could you please clarify whay Fairtex's bread and butter is? If you're refering to the BGV1 model, then yes that is a very very good glove. Very durable and will last you years of abuse. At your weight I wouldnt bother with 16oz gloves. I know others are saying that bigger weight increases your power and all that nonsense, but hitting a heavy bag repeatedly and perfecting your technique is what's gonna build you power.

I personally use 10oz gloves for bag/pads and i weigh 150 lbs. If I were you I wouldnt go over a 12oz weight for bag/pads and 14oz for sparring.

ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Tue May 04, 2010 11:07 pm

knock0utp0werK0P wrote:
ryyonvin wrote:

Does NY have any good stores u know of? All we got in my area is Tiger Schulmans MMA :lol: and Matt Serra's overpriced gym :wink:

buying online is what I usually do cuz I have no stores in my area. It sucks cuz you cant try on the gloves before you try them. I do know that mmaindustries.com is based out of the new york area. You could call them and see if they have a retail store.

ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby knock0utp0werK0P » Tue May 04, 2010 11:11 pm

ryyonvin wrote:
knock0utp0werK0P wrote:
ryyonvin wrote:

buying online is what I usually do cuz I have no stores in my area. It sucks cuz you cant try on the gloves before you try them. I do know that mmaindustries.com is based out of the new york area. You could call them and see if they have a retail store.

they're actually less than 30 minutes away.. good call.. ill def check them out when i start MT at Serra's gym..(maybe if I can afford it) or just do BJJ..

You are more likely to get staph from rolling with BJJ right? i am fucking scared to get a staph infection thats y i oped for MT?? any thoughts?
word
knock0utp0werK0P
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby No_Gi » Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm

could you please clarify whay Fairtex's bread and butter is? If you're refering to the BGV1 model, then yes that is a very very good glove. Very durable and will last you years of abuse. At your weight I wouldnt bother with 16oz gloves. I know others are saying that bigger weight increases your power and all that nonsense, but hitting a heavy bag repeatedly and perfecting your technique is what's gonna build you power.

I personally use 10oz gloves for bag/pads and i weigh 150 lbs. If I were you I wouldnt go over a 12oz weight for bag/pads and 14oz for sparring.
No_Gi wrote:I was checking out Fairtex's bread and butter. Are those good for mitt work and bag work? I don't know if it makes difference in but I'm 5'6" and weigh 148 pounds.

By the way, I just posted this a little while ago and already got a lot of responses. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Yeah its the BGV1. I feel a little stupid now cause I just copied "bread and butter" from above the picture. I didn't see where it said BGV1 until you mentioned it :lol:
No_Gi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 pm

yea, you'd be more likely to get staph from BJJ than muay thai. It's a shame that people get such a preventable disease. If you're worried about staph and just showering after training doesnt settle your stomach here's a few tips.

Make sure the place you train at washes their mats on a routine basis. (not neccessarily everyday but every once in a while)

Wash/clean your equipment after every workout. This includes your gi/rashies/gloves and w/e else you use.

Don't work out with someone who seems very hygenically unclean.

And most importantly wash with an antimicrobial soap. I think theres some product called defense soap or something that is designed just for that. Or some surgical scrub like Hibiclens.

ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby No_Gi » Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 pm

OK, so here is what I'm looking at. The plan is to get some gloves for hitting mitts and bag work and than getting new gloves for when I begin sparring so that I'm not being a jerk and hitting people with worn out padding. I need something with good wrist support because I was on disability last year for like 2 months because the tendons in my wrist blew out at work. After reading everyone's posts and analyzing the information i have come to this... I don't have heavy hands at all, but I'm naturally kind of fast so i would like to wear 16 oz gloves to build up strength for power and muscle endurance, and increase my hand speed, but I believe technique is essential so I want to use 12oz gloves so I can make sure that my technique is right. But I want to protect my hands as well so I came to the conclusion that using 14oz gloves would be the best balance. Does this make sense or am I out in left field? Below are two of the gloves that I am considering, but I am still looking around, so if anyone has any recommendations on particular models It would be much appreciated. By the way you, all have been very helpful.

These are the models I am considering as of right now. Are these gloves be good for hitting mitts and doing bag work?
Fairtex BGV1
Windy TG5 Training Gloves
No_Gi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby knock0utp0werK0P » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 pm

ryyonvin wrote:yea, you'd be more likely to get staph from BJJ than muay thai. It's a shame that people get such a preventable disease. If you're worried about staph and just showering after training doesnt settle your stomach here's a few tips.

Make sure the place you train at washes their mats on a routine basis. (not neccessarily everyday but every once in a while)

Wash/clean your equipment after every workout. This includes your gi/rashies/gloves and w/e else you use.

Don't work out with someone who seems very hygenically unclean.

And most importantly wash with an antimicrobial soap. I think theres some product called defense soap or something that is designed just for that. Or some surgical scrub like Hibiclens.

alright cool, thanks

i heard that showering after a real hard workout is bad for u.. cud just be amyth tho
word
knock0utp0werK0P
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 am

No_Gi wrote:OK, so here is what I'm looking at. The plan is to get some gloves for hitting mitts and bag work and than getting new gloves for when I begin sparring so that I'm not being a jerk and hitting people with worn out padding. I need something with good wrist support because I was on disability last year for like 2 months because the tendons in my wrist blew out at work. After reading everyone's posts and analyzing the information i have come to this... I don't have heavy hands at all, but I'm naturally kind of fast so i would like to wear 16 oz gloves to build up strength for power and muscle endurance, and increase my hand speed, but I believe technique is essential so I want to use 12oz gloves so I can make sure that my technique is right. But I want to protect my hands as well so I came to the conclusion that using 14oz gloves would be the best balance. Does this make sense or am I out in left field? Below are two of the gloves that I am considering, but I am still looking around, so if anyone has any recommendations on particular models It would be much appreciated. By the way you, all have been very helpful.

These are the models I am considering as of right now. Are these gloves be good for hitting mitts and doing bag work?
Fairtex BGV1
Windy TG5 Training Gloves

I personally am not a fan of Windy's but that's just me. They have a larger profile and a spacious hand compartment. Fairtex BGV1 is a more compact glove and the hand compartment is a little smaller but not too tight like Twins and Boon. So it all depends on what you like in a glove.

And to answer your question, yes they would both be fine for hitting the bag and mitts.

ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Gear and Equipment