Close
Login
Register

Just started training in Muay Thai and need advice on gear

Discuss the gear and equipment you have used to be successful

Just started training in Muay Thai and need advice on gear

Postby No_Gi » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm

I just started training in Muay Thai and I was wondering what type of gloves do you recommend for hitting mitts and bag work. I need something with good cushioning and support. As far as weight goes I'm leaning toward 14 oz gloves, but i suppose 16 wouldn't be a problem. I can afford to spend up to $100 on gloves. I also would like to know what focus mitts do you recommend. I can afford up to $100 on mitts. Any input would be appreciated.

Would Fairtex's Bread and Butter be a good buy?
Last edited by No_Gi on Tue May 04, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No_Gi
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Just started training in Muay Thai and need advice on gear

Postby MuayCrim » Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 pm

The thai gloves I use are just 12oz I think.

I wear something similar to these.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1

But you can find a way cheaper pair out there. I'll leave you to the more experienced Thai fighters that know more about it.
MuayCrim
3 Account Ban Wins
3 Account Ban Wins

Postby MuayCrim » Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Here's the gear forums. You'll notice there's already a couple threads about Thai gloves. Your thread will probably get moved there actually.
gear-and-equipment-f103.html
MuayCrim
3 Account Ban Wins
3 Account Ban Wins

Postby Triley » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Go wtih the 16s for bag work, extra ounces count for a lot when holding your arms up with 4 oz gloves later.
Triley, Cleaning up the streets of MMALinker

(04:15:07) mbb: I remember this goth guy telling me once that he trained in 7 different types of martial arts
(04:15:19) mbb: Was totally legit looking back on it
Triley
5th Professional Linker Victory
5th Professional Linker Victory

Postby joshphady1 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 pm

12 oz twins!!!!!
joshphady1
White Belt
White Belt

Postby daehan54 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:09 pm

i'm sure everyone here who trained started out with your regular Everlast gloves until you knew you were going to stick with the sport. I've been training since '07 and I decided to treat myself to brand name stuff. I have a pair of Twins Special 16 oz gloves. Muaythaistuff.com has a pretty good price for legit stuff from thailand.

Focus mitts- i got mine off of Froogle.com ....(google's shopping site thingy)...spent about $35 and they are a beaut. good luck and train hard!
daehan54
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby RubenATC » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Its better to have 10-12 oz ones to really focus on your technique, if they have too much cushion you wont feel if you are punching wrong, but with lighter ones you feel it right away if you arent punching correctly, and you can correct it. 16oz are better for sparring. And as far as brand i say go with Fairtex, they have some of the best Muay Thai gear and they should fit your price range.
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby ctjones19 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Triley wrote:Go wtih the 16s for bag work, extra ounces count for a lot when holding your arms up with 4 oz gloves later.

Agreed... training with 16's sure helps you in the later rounds. Fairtex makes some of the best stuff... Windy makes a good glove, make sure you can make a fist inside. Focus mitts don't really matter the cheap ones will do.
ctjones19
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby TylerDurden » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm

I use 16 OZ BoeS
ATTN LINKERS!
Do you have no balls?
No achievements in life?
Nothing going for you?
Contact Van, become a moderator!!
Work for free and enforce your e-power!

Supporter of Dana White
TylerDurden
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby No_Gi » Tue May 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I was checking out Fairtex's bread and butter. Are those good for mitt work and bag work? I don't know if it makes difference in but I'm 5'6" and weigh 148 pounds.

By the way, I just posted this a little while ago and already got a lot of responses. Thanks a lot :biggrin:
No_Gi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby thesmoothest » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

daehan54 wrote:i'm sure everyone here who trained started out with your regular Everlast gloves until you knew you were going to stick with the sport. I've been training since '07 and I decided to treat myself to brand name stuff. I have a pair of Twins Special 16 oz gloves. Muaythaistuff.com has a pretty good price for legit stuff from thailand.

Focus mitts- i got mine off of Froogle.com ....(google's shopping site thingy)...spent about $35 and they are a beaut. good luck and train hard!

theres no way i would ever use those everlast gloves sold a dicks sporting good type things. :lol: those are just a waste of $30-$50 i started out with 16oz combat sports boxing gloves and they lasted around 4 years but wasnt particularly happy with them. now i am using 16oz bad boy gloves and i must say they are unbelievable, they are a bit tight at first but fit my hand like a glove with wraps on and i love the snug fit (i have pretty decent sized hands i suppose). bad boy's head gear is the shit as well. doesnt move and fits real snug.

i dont own any focus mitts my gym provides those but we use the fairtex ones and they are pretty good. not sure on the price tho
1-5
thesmoothest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby swifter41 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

I always use sixteen ounce gloves for sparring and bag work just because it conditions you better on keeping your hands up and hand speed since there heavier. I use 8-12 oz gloves for mits.
RIDDUM
swifter41
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Coffin » Tue May 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Triley wrote:Go wtih the 16s for bag work, extra ounces count for a lot when holding your arms up with 4 oz gloves later.

^ This. All my guys use 16s for bag work, training and sparring. I spend $60 AU for training gloves, this get Morgan full leather. These last me 6 - 9 months. Then I put them into rotation at the classes for others to use. They will see about 1 year doing classes before they die.

I spent $160 on my pro gloves. They have lasted for 3 years and are still great. They don't get too much use these days.

Get a good mouth guard! Get a custom one fitted from your dentist. This is very important.

Groin gaurd too, must keep your plumbs in good working order. I have never been hit in the nuts as often as when I train MT.

Joe Rogan: "Karo is wide open! " Mike Goldberg: "Diaz smells the opening. "

hawdrigoh wrote:Dong exposed himself to us today and I think I speak for everyone when I say I didn't mind it at all.

burtonboarder wrote:Are you asking what an Atheist believes in? The same things as you, real things, minus gullible superstitions.

ButterScotch talking dirty: "I expected a quick 30 second finish. Very impressive to restrain himself from unloading on the guy."
Coffin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby thesmoothest » Tue May 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Coffin wrote:Get a good mouth guard! Get a custom one fitted from your dentist. This is very important.

for sure. i got my custom done by unbreakable mouth pieces. they are very good at what they do. i got my molds from my dentist and mailed them to hector out in cali. took a month or 2 but i got custom graphics. couldnt be happier with it tho.
1-5
thesmoothest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby wolverine20 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Thai pads use 10 to 12's to work on your accuracy and technique...when doing heavy bag and shoulder conditioning use 16's you won't believe the difference it makes with your speed and overall conidtioning when you put on 4-12 oz gloves....good luck! and stay with it...the first 2 weeks are always rough.
I am the Dark side of Linker and Star Wars master

I was on this Alistair wagon with no one on it taking a ride to the UFC HQ in Vegas, all of the sudden we came to a stop in St. Louie, next thing I know the damn things full.

sigbet 0-1 (i just couldn't resist)
wolverine20
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Next

Return to Gear and Equipment