Close
Login
Register

IrishMike's Workout Log

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

Re: IrishMike's Workout Log

Postby irishmike357 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:19 pm

OK 2011 is the year I turn this pathetic work out log around. Not being able to afford any type of martial arts school I have joined a gym. When the day comes for me to get back into Judo or BJJ I vow to be much stronger and weight less.

I started out at about 220. Been eating better all year (all 3 weeks of it lol). I have also challenged myself to do some type of physical exercise at least 50% of the year, so far I am a day behind 11 exercised days, 12 fat ass days. Most of the days have been pushups and sit ups, only been to the gym twice (just joined yesterday).

Day 1:
Light shoulder press: forgot weight x 3 sets of 10
Bench Press: 120 lbs 5 sets 6 reps
Biceps Curl: 70lbs 5x5 (failed on the last set at 4)
Run: 1/4 mile 7mph (working back into this as well)

Day 2: Didn't have much time before work
Squats: 155 lbs 5x5 (never did squats before :shock: felt good though)
Run: 1/2 mile 7mph

I don't really have much of a game plan, think I will work that out some as I go. I am a big fan of the 5x5 though, did them a bunch in the past, also liked the 3 sets of 5, 2 sets of 10 and 1 set of 20. So I think I might do 5x5 for the first 4-6 weeks then switch it up a bit. We will see.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby KC Masterpiece » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 pm

irishmike357 wrote:I think I might do 5x5 for the first 4-6 weeks then switch it up a bit. We will see.

Welcome back brotha!

I recommend sticking with the above program indefinitely :wink:
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby irishmike357 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:
irishmike357 wrote:I think I might do 5x5 for the first 4-6 weeks then switch it up a bit. We will see.

Welcome back brotha!

Thanks man.

I think I decided on a split like this...
Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Legs/Abs
Day 3: Back/Bi
Day 4: Shoulders

I always hear that you should set goals so I guess I will set some.

Overall: I would like to be able to squat about twice my body weight (about 400 pounds) and be able to bench 1.5 times my body weight (about 300 pounds). I have no idea how long it will take me to achieve these goals. I am going to take a notepad with me to the gym and keep track of how much I can lift and will report back here as I do.

For 2011: Consistently workout, drop to 190 pounds, get stronger. I would like to be able to bench 200 pounds by the end of the year for 5 reps. Not sure if it is doable, I can do 135 for about 10 reps now though. For squats I would like to be able to do 200 without the bar stabilizer thing.

As always any advice is appreciated.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Monday-Off

Tuesday- Shoulders

Military press- 80lbs 3 sets 5 reps, 90lbs 2 sets 5 reps
Straight out lift (not sure name)- 35lbs 3 sets 5 reps (had to stop, felt a crap ton of pain in my shoulder)
Run- 5:00 decent pace

stretches before and after and 1 warm up set for each exercise.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby irishmike357 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 pm

The storm has kept me out of the gym for a few days. I have been shoveling my ass off (does that even count) and doing push-ups and sit-ups in my house. Today I decided to workout while at work though.

Back and Biceps
Pull-ups: 5x5 (body weight)
Curls: 5x5 70 lbs

My wife starts school again tomorrow so hopefully I can still find time to get to the gym and not be stuck with my at home workout. It is amazing how much better I feel from working out, more energy, more confident, less aches and pains. Also I don't even want to touch that shitty food that I used to LOVE. Although last week I did eat two boston creme doughnuts :| We will see this thursday if I can resist.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:54 am

Went to the Gym this morning, that sucks, but now I am all amped up WWWWOOOOOOOOO.

Chest + Triceps

bench press: 5x5 135lbs (plus warm up set)
Triceps extension: 5x5 20lbs each arm
Run: Half a mile (working up to a decent 1.5 mile time).

My bench felt good. I workout alone so had no spotter, but it felt good. I think I will be adding some weight to it next time 10 pounds probably.

Sometime between now and March I have to do my Air National Guard PT test in order to go to Thailand for a month. I am good on push-ups and sit-ups but have to get my run time better. Come on Thailand, with any luck I can get kicked in the head.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby JohnKG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:56 pm

irishmike357 wrote:Went to the Gym this morning, that sucks, but now I am all amped up WWWWOOOOOOOOO.

Chest + Triceps

bench press: 5x5 135lbs (plus warm up set)
Triceps extension: 5x5 20lbs each arm
Run: Half a mile (working up to a decent 1.5 mile time).

My bench felt good. I workout alone so had no spotter, but it felt good. I think I will be adding some weight to it next time 10 pounds probably.

Sometime between now and March I have to do my Air National Guard PT test in order to go to Thailand for a month. I am good on push-ups and sit-ups but have to get my run time better. Come on Thailand, with any luck I can get kicked in the head.

What time are you at now and what time do you need in order to pass?
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

JohnKG wrote:What time are you at now and what time do you need in order to pass?

I need 13:36 and was about 14:30 last time I checked it out on a windy winter day in Jan.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby sammcl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:34 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:

Welcome back brotha!

I'd have to disagree there, 5x5 has caused massive imbalance in anybody I've seen use it, but that's just my opinion.
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 pm

sammcl wrote:
KC Masterpiece wrote:

Welcome back brotha!

I'd have to disagree there, 5x5 has caused massive imbalance in anybody I've seen use it, but that's just my opinion.

Please expand on this, if you don't mind. I am always open to hear and learn more.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby sammcl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

irishmike357 wrote:
sammcl wrote:
KC Masterpiece wrote:

Welcome back brotha!

Please expand on this, if you don't mind. I am always open to hear and learn more.

From what I've seen, guys who use this get rather significant imbalances in strength over time. They all come out of it with okay lifts, but their squat is totally dominant, their bench isn't great by way of comparison and their deadlift is also fairly average. It works, just not as well as something could for somebody relatively new to lifting who can make huge gains right off the bat.
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 pm

sammcl wrote:From what I've seen, guys who use this get rather significant imbalances in strength over time. They all come out of it with okay lifts, but their squat is totally dominant, their bench isn't great by way of comparison and their deadlift is also fairly average. It works, just not as well as something could for somebody relatively new to lifting who can make huge gains right off the bat.

I guess for me I just don't know where I really fit in with lifting. I would not say I am new to it, I have been lifting since I was 17 (now 29), but I am definetely not a high level lifter, possibly not even intermediate.

Anyway, if you have another workout that you would suggest by all means share it. Keep in mind I am going for strength gains NOT size. I know I will always get some size with working out, but I want to maximize the strength part.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

Hmm, well although as you know it all depends on a lifters leverages and injury history, the squat should be reset 10% two to three times before moving on.

So theoretically even though you're adding 30 lbs to your squat every two weeks (compared to 15 to your bench and deadlift), with the squat resets, I don't think it should be *too* imbalanced. Also the deadlift programming has you jumping 20lbs per session at first provided there are no other inhibiting factors.

Here's a theoretical example of someone who's squat is at 270 and deadlift is at 315 before any stalls:

If you miss 3 or more squat reps per set on 275 three times ("three strikes"), you'd reset to 245. Say all goes well from then on and you blow past 275 to 310. If you hit three strikes again at 315 (which wouldn't be very abnormal), you'd reset to 285. To get back up to 315 successful sets across would take 5 more sessions.

So from the day you hit 270 to the day you hit 315 all reps successfully, with two legitimate resets in between, eight weeks will have passed, compared to linear gains from 275 to 315 each session (which IS abnormal) taking only nine sessions, or three weeks.

If your deadlift is at 315 at the time your squat hits 270, and you have one legitimate stall, it would be 380 (for 1x5) after the same number of sessions.

So 1 DL reset and 2 Squat resets (which mean it's very close to the end of the novice stage) = 315 squat sets across and 380 deadlift sets across. Is having only 65 pounds separate your squat from DL at this stage imbalanced? I guess it depends on the lifter. For you, sammcl, it would be imbalanced, for me, it would be a godsend :lol: .

If you know of actual instances where healthy people's squat dominated their DL than that obviously means more than all my hypotheticals, but it looks like it's at least possible to be balanced with Rippetoe and similar programming :D
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 pm

KC, which 5x5 program do you recommend? I usually don't have a ton of time in the gym so trying to keep each workout to about 45 minutes or less, plus some time to run.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby sammcl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:37 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:Hmm, well although as you know it all depends on a lifters leverages and injury history, the squat should be reset 10% two to three times before moving on.

So theoretically even though you're adding 30 lbs to your squat every two weeks (compared to 15 to your bench and deadlift), with the squat resets, I don't think it should be *too* imbalanced. Also the deadlift programming has you jumping 20lbs per session at first provided there are no other inhibiting factors.

Here's a theoretical example of someone who's squat is at 270 and deadlift is at 315 before any stalls:

If you miss 3 or more squat reps per set on 275 three times ("three strikes"), you'd reset to 245. Say all goes well from then on and you blow past 275 to 310. If you hit three strikes again at 315 (which wouldn't be very abnormal), you'd reset to 285. To get back up to 315 successful sets across would take 5 more sessions.

So from the day you hit 270 to the day you hit 315 all reps successfully, with two legitimate resets in between, eight weeks will have passed, compared to linear gains from 275 to 315 each session (which IS abnormal) taking only nine sessions, or three weeks.

If your deadlift is at 315 at the time your squat hits 270, and you have one legitimate stall, it would be 380 (for 1x5) after the same number of sessions.

So 1 DL reset and 2 Squat resets (which mean it's very close to the end of the novice stage) = 315 squat sets across and 380 deadlift sets across. Is having only 65 pounds separate your squat from DL at this stage imbalanced? I guess it depends on the lifter. For you, sammcl, it would be imbalanced, for me, it would be a godsend :lol: .

If you know of actual instances where healthy people's squat dominated their DL than that obviously means more than all my hypotheticals, but it looks like it's at least possible to be balanced with Rippetoe and similar programming :D

I don't know people who squat more than they dl who are healthy, but I know 5x5 guys who can't pull 4 plates that smash 3 plates plus on the squat regularly. Also, people always reset the upper stuff well before the lower stuff, and they also end up not conditioned for sets greater than 5 reps, and at the same time they struggle with singles.

If you know what you're doing in the gym, for example, i.e. you know the movements etc, I would say that there is better options available.
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Workout Logs