Close
Login
Register

IrishMike's road to good cardio

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

IrishMike's road to good cardio

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am

So I pretty much have the worst cardio ever. I began trying to run a lot last April, but since I had not run in so long and started running way too much at the start I developed shin splints. I never let them heal completely and just kept toughing it out (stubborn ass Marine). Long story short 6 months of doing that did nothing to help my cardio and royally fucked up my shins. The doctor eventually told me that I can't run for 10 weeks and if I did I would require surgery because my shin splints were going to lead to compartment syndrome.

So I stopped running for 10 weeks and decided to take it slow and have a really good stretch before and after I run. Now I keep setting goals for myself as I go. Ultimately this year I would like to run a 7 minute mile and run 12 miles (separate events). I run 2-3 times a week and steadily increase distance or speed, each run session is followed by swimming laps.

Goal 1:
Run a mile at 7mph pace (8:34)
completed

Goal 2:
Run 1.5 mile at 7 mph pace (13 minutes)
completed

Goal 3:
Run 2 mile at 7 mph pace (17 minutes)
completed

Goal 4:
Run 1.5 miles at 7.5 mph pace (12 minutes)

Goal 5:
2 miles at 7.5 mph (16 minutes)
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Re: IrishMike's road to good cardio

Postby Fearless6691 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Heavy on the left foot! ;)
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:03 am

Fearless6691 wrote:Heavy on the left foot! ;)

Haha ain't that the truth. I still sing cadences in my head when I run. Eventually I will run a perfect PFT, even if it is years after I was in :lol:

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby MirFan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:08 am

Look into The Tabata Method. Its helped my cardio out tremendously.
MirFan
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 am

MirFan wrote:Look into The Tabata Method. Its helped my cardio out tremendously.

Thanks gonna give it a shot. Going to work it in between my running/swimming days. Any particular exercises you used for the tabata?

Oh and mods you can move this to the regular C&ST forums if you want. Kind of the wrong spot.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby MirFan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 am

Id recommend front squats or jump squats. Try to stay in the 8-12 rep range and definitely start out with a light weight, I guarantee this will make you feel like shit for like 15 mins after you finished. :lol:
MirFan
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:29 pm

MirFan wrote:Id recommend front squats or jump squats. Try to stay in the 8-12 rep range and definitely start out with a light weight, I guarantee this will make you feel like shit for like 15 mins after you finished. :lol:

Unless you squat over 315 you have no business doing jump squats.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MirFan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:03 am

Fearless6691 wrote:
MirFan wrote:Id recommend front squats or jump squats. Try to stay in the 8-12 rep range and definitely start out with a light weight, I guarantee this will make you feel like shit for like 15 mins after you finished. :lol:

Why. Anyone can do jump squats. Its great for cardio.

EDIT: I do mean jump squats without a barbell though just to be clear.
MirFan
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:55 pm

MirFan wrote:
Fearless6691 wrote:

Why. Anyone can do jump squats. Its great for cardio.

EDIT: I do mean jump squats without a barbell though just to be clear.

Ohhh ok, I thought you meant loaded jump squats my bad.
"
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 am

You still working on this IM?
TheAssassin
4th Professional Linker Victory

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 am

TheAssassin wrote:You still working on this IM?

Some what, actually went running last night. I passed my test with about 11:30 mile and a half. I finally realized my problem. I was not running fast enough. Seriously that sounds obvious, but my entire military career I spent running the 3 mile test for the Marine Corps. For that test my natural run pace was perfect to run and pass with a decent score. For the 1.5 mile test I realized that I had to push and run faster and conserve less.

The YMCA won't let me join for free anymore, so I joined a gym without a pool so no more swimming which sucks. I did end up running 5.5 miles as my high point, which I was pretty happy about. My cardio is much better still trying to improve though.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby TheAssassin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:25 pm

irishmike357 wrote:
TheAssassin wrote:You still working on this IM?

Some what, actually went running last night. I passed my test with about 11:30 mile and a half. I finally realized my problem. I was not running fast enough. Seriously that sounds obvious, but my entire military career I spent running the 3 mile test for the Marine Corps. For that test my natural run pace was perfect to run and pass with a decent score. For the 1.5 mile test I realized that I had to push and run faster and conserve less.

The YMCA won't let me join for free anymore, so I joined a gym without a pool so no more swimming which sucks. I did end up running 5.5 miles as my high point, which I was pretty happy about. My cardio is much better still trying to improve though.

Did you set a pace you could hold for the entire distance? Or do you start off stronger and just try and grind it out?

In my experience cardio goes away faster than strength and comes back a lot easier. I hadn't done cardio in a year and started gassing hard during basic sports play. Did simple Barbell complexes every second day and later on ran for two weeks straight for half an hour at a time and BAM completely fixed the problem.
TheAssassin

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 pm

TheAssassin wrote:
Did you set a pace you could hold for the entire distance? Or do you start off stronger and just try and grind it out?

In my experience cardio goes away faster than strength and comes back a lot easier. I hadn't done cardio in a year and started gassing hard during basic sports play. Did simple Barbell complexes every second day and later on ran for two weeks straight for half an hour at a time and BAM completely fixed the problem.

I was doing a calisthenics based circuit and it seemed to help some too.

On the treadmill I was able to find and set a pace pretty easily, but I found when I would actually run I could not figure out my pace. It didn't help that I would some times run on an indoor track and would run the 1.5miles 1-2 minutes faster (that was crazy to me). So I decided that I would just run and tell myself to push the pace the entire race.

I actually don't mind running long distance now. I got a buddy that lost about 160 pounds and loves running, he runs 18 miles like it is nothing now. When we run together though his pace is the same as mine, he can just keep going for ever. The intermediate runs when I have to really push my pace is what kills me.

Doing basic cardio this winter, then as it warms up I am going to do some interval/sprint training, running like 400 meter sprints at a time. Was suggested by a friend that is a track coach so we shall see.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Return to Workout Logs