Login
Register

How does Jujitsu training typically go?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

How does Jujitsu training typically go?

Postby Nation_Of_Sin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:02 pm

I just had a question to anyone out there who has a black belt in jujitsu;
How do the belt levels work?
Like I think you go from green to blue to brown to black, but like what are the requirements for each belt?

I want to know what the first thing a guy who starts taking lessons (a white belt) learns for jits, is it like basic gaurd stuff and more defense, and a few subs are introduced and so forth?

How much of the the training is stand up, like working takedowns and takedown defense, body clinch's, and throws?

I am curious because I have a friend who is a black belt in jujitsu and I am beginning courses one on one style with him so I can learn and eventually get better. We are buddie's, so it's cool to spar and train with him considering there are no other people who may disrupt me from concentrating on a certain area. I just need to know how the levels work basically (example : white belt must be able to maintain full gaurd and not allow opponent to pass... yellow belt is expected to be able to:... etc etc)
And if you guys have any tips for me how to go about the training with him let me know what is proper, cause he's a great blackbelt and has good technique, but teaching wise, and in terms of being organized.. well it be helpful to know how to properly go about the training.

We've done two 2 hour sessions so far, during which I learned: How to properly perform armbars, triangles, kimura's, arm triangles, the anaconda, as well as the sissor sweep from gaurd posistion, the importance of "shrimping", some basic techniques for takedowns, and breaking one's posture when you're in gaurd..

I just want to make sure I learn things in order, if there should be one.
Any tips or feedback is appreciated.

thanks guys
ImmortalTechnique92 wrote:
So if that anal sphincter loses flexion the pressure is gone that keeps it closed and anal leakage can occur.
Nation_Of_Sin
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: How does Jujitsu training typically go?

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:16 pm

belts usually go white, blue, purple, brown, black but they are different for younger people and some schools do it differently

when i first started training i learned the upa escape and the kneeling guard pass first, and i drilled those for a looong time before moving forward to other stuff

we dont train too much standup or takedowns or anything, when we roll we usually start on our knees.

im talking about BJJ here though, not japanese jujitsu
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:35 pm

we dont have any specific requirements to get a new belt...no hours or anything like that. we advance in belt rank whenever the instructor feels like were ready
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby irishmike357 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:39 pm

It varies from place to place and also it is different if you are doing BJJ which it sounds like or Jujitsu, which is different of course.

I would say try to learn anything you can from him and not worry about the order of it. If you take to one thing (ex. Guard) over another (ex. side control), then try to get realy good at that, but always try to keep well rounded. Enjoy the training though and take from it what ever you can.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby taichitoo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:44 pm

i was under the impression that belts aren't even awarded if you train no-gi.

i train no-gi and my instructor told me he won't be awarding me any belts...

but that's weird because Eddie Bravo does 10th planet with no-gi but he has a belt system i think... he even said within a year he will give out his first black belt from the 10th planet system

Blame Canada (and GSP & JDToronto)

Grace is what matters... it keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you open for more understanding.
taichitoo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:18 pm

taichitoo wrote:i was under the impression that belts aren't even awarded if you train no-gi.

but that's weird because Eddie Bravo does 10th planet with no-gi but he has a belt system i think... he even said within a year he will give out his first black belt from the 10th planet system

Yeah Bravo gives out belts, I guess your instructor decided not too. I do Judo, so the belts are in that system, but I train alot of no gi too.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby Nation_Of_Sin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:32 pm

Cool thing with the hours system..
ImmortalTechnique92 wrote:
So if that anal sphincter loses flexion the pressure is gone that keeps it closed and anal leakage can occur.
Nation_Of_Sin
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Stand-up_Philosopher » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:19 pm

When I did Goshin we were promoted by the techniques we learned and could do as best as we can.

Now I am in a pure MMA training session with no belts.
"The human body is a submission waiting to happen." - Erik Paulson

GS GIMG
Stand-up_Philosopher
5th Professional Linker Victory
5th Professional Linker Victory

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:44 pm

irishmike357 wrote:
taichitoo wrote:i was under the impression that belts aren't even awarded if you train no-gi.

Yeah Bravo gives out belts, I guess your instructor decided not too. I do Judo, so the belts are in that system, but I train alot of no gi too.

yeah its all up to the instructor
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Headhunter » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:11 pm

there is no undisputed required learning material but if you can get a hold of Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements, everything there is 100% fundamentals that all belt levels should know and review, very ground level stuff that will massively elevate your game as a beginner if you constantly review and train the techniques. they are all considered "white belt techniques" and almost everyone as a white belt uses many of the moves taught. there's videos on you tube with individual parts

also, i don't think there's an order, but i would recommend you focusing on correct defensive posture from each position on bottom and escaping when someone passes your guard before anything. if you can't defend the guard pass and you can't escape once you get passed, all you will learn is how it feels to get smashed. you should ask your friend, "what are the basic attacks someone is going to try to do to me from x position and what is the best position for my body to defend?" if he is a black belt he will know exactly what to tell you and as long as you pay attention to the details you will massively improve

and one more important thing. you don't improve by learning techniques, you improve by practicing them against a resisting person and correcting the details and timing of your movements. mat time is more relative to skill level than anything.
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby ghostdude8 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:46 am

advancing by the hours you take is something i don't agree with. my gym promotes people when our instructors feel were ready.

the places that give you a new belt after a certain amount of classes are the worst in my opinion, mc dojos ftl
ghostdude8
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Postby exsanguinator » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 pm

The only real structured system that I know of is the Gracie Combatives system... that is, 36 techniques that you are required to be able to do perfectly before being passed on to Blue Belt...
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby DimMak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 pm

We advance in our gym by becoming difficult for those in the next belt and winning most of the roll sessions with those in our belt level. On top of that, we have to win against (almost) all of our matches in competition against those in our belt level and be serious competition for those at the next belt level. My coach feels that this is the fair, and I like the idea myself. I can beat quite a few guys regularly who have been training longer than me and it doesn't make sense that they are "higher" if I'm technically superior.
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ghostdude8 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:37 pm

exsanguinator wrote:The only real structured system that I know of is the Gracie Combatives system... that is, 36 techniques that you are required to be able to do perfectly before being passed on to Blue Belt...

well gracie jiu jitsu preaches self defense more so it's obvious that your going to have to learn how to defend yourself correctly on the street before they promote you.
ghostdude8

Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Postby exsanguinator » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:53 pm

ghostdude8 wrote:
exsanguinator wrote:The only real structured system that I know of is the Gracie Combatives system... that is, 36 techniques that you are required to be able to do perfectly before being passed on to Blue Belt...

well gracie jiu jitsu preaches self defense more so it's obvious that your going to have to learn how to defend yourself correctly on the street before they promote you.

I haven't found a full list of the techniques that they are using but it's the same curriculum that is taught to most Law Enforcement agencies in the US and was originally developed for the US Army.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Next

Return to Ground Game