Close
Login
Register

How do you use your jab?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

How do you use your jab? (Please select 2)

Set Up Shots
38%
Independent Weapon
13%
Quick Jab (Peppered Shots)
17%
Stiff Jab (Powerful jab, extends through target)
23%
Feint
8%

Total votes : 52

How do you use your jab?

Postby JohnKG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey.. I all know the jab is used to find range and timing (outside of leg kicks), but what I was wondering is...

How do you use your jab?

Do you use it to set up shots primarily or do you use it as an independent weapon?

Do you prefer to use primarily speed for your jab (snapping quick pull in) or do you prefer to really extend through your jab and add power behind it?

I'm not going to get into hitman styles and more open stances like Muay Thai's... I'm just curious how you primarily use your jab.. and why you prefer it.. state your practice too please if you wouldn't mind. I'm curious who's out here on MMALinker..

Edit: I've realized some people don't use their jab that often at all and just feint with it. So i've added the option :)
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Re: How do you use your jab?

Postby otakusama » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 pm

i use it to set up strikes.

Its usually to setup my right hand for any kind of punch, after punches those are usually to set up for my knees or mid-low kick. If im losing in clinch range, i use my jab again to get out of range, back to striking distance.
ImageImage
SigBet Score: 1-1-0
Sigbet(PM ME)
UFC 129 GSP v Shield
Machida v Couture (Taken)
Claude Patrick v Rob

UFC 130 Edgar V Maynard
Frank Mir V Roy Nelson

UFC 131Brock V JDS (Taken)

Strikeforce: Overeem v Werdum
otakusama
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Aiden87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:43 am

I use my jab to set up shots, feint, and as an independent weapon. I like to use it to find range at times, but that's after I've felt out my opponents timing a bit. I throw feints at first to understand my opponents reaction, if throw too many and my opponents gets comfortable I actually start to threaten with the jab and put some sting on it. Once I have him second guessing whether a feint or a hard jab is coming I use it to set up my left straight or left straight to clinch to trip takedown or a number of different variations.
KingVicious Image ImageMachida FTW
Aiden87
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby MMAdude13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 am

I use my jab as a little bit of everything to keep my opponent off balance. Usually early on its just to gauge the distance but once I feel comfortable I'll throw some stiff jabs at different angles, which in return help set up my overhand right or uppercut.

I also use it to see what my opponent will do in reaction to it. Sometimes I purposely throw it somewhat slower to see their reaction and based on that I know what to follow up with. If they counter right away it opens them up for me to counter, so even though I'm throwing the first punch, I'm still the counter puncher.
"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them"
http://www.the-mixed-martial-arts-of-mma
Sean
MMAdude13
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JayDeeHero » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 am

I use the jab for everything from gauging distance and feints to setting up heavier combinations and even adding in a stiff one at the end of a combination.

I think if a fighter can do all those things with his/her jab well, then they should be fine no matter what range they're fighting from.
"The Sun shines brighter when you look at it, but it shines regardless. Shine for yourself, not just when people are watching." - Jordan Grenyion-Smith

JayDeeHero
White Belt
White Belt

Postby slugr3000 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 am

i use it mostly to set up shots. i will throw it see what my opponent reacts lets say a jab then i throw an over hand right.
slugr3000
White Belt
White Belt

Postby beastman4 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:48 am

I use my jab mainly to pepper my opponent. The more you hit them the less comfortable they are, and the more you can open up and find your range and do those other things. Like any strike though it is good to mix it up, I usually throw in a GSP jab (superman jab) to completely throw my opponent for a loop. Nothing makes your opponent more uncomfortable then knowing that at anytime your jab can fly across the ring and hit then, Lol. I am a MMA fighter who trains in Muay Thai, btw. I've trained with a few boxers as well.
beastman4
White Belt
White Belt

Postby SamuraixJack » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 am

i use it when i feint and to set up other shots. Honestly, the jab is best used in MMA and boxing. I tried using it in Muay Thai and regular kickboxing, and its just not the same. maybe its because i put too much weight on my front leg, but i cant truly get a fresh clean hit when i jab, so i end up feinting with it or setting up my usual 4 punch to a leg kick combo.

BOW TO THE KING
SamuraixJack
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby JohnKG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 am

SamuraixJack wrote:i use it when i feint and to set up other shots. Honestly, the jab is best used in MMA and boxing. I tried using it in Muay Thai and regular kickboxing, and its just not the same. maybe its because i put too much weight on my front leg, but i cant truly get a fresh clean hit when i jab, so i end up feinting with it or setting up my usual 4 punch to a leg kick combo.

It's probably due to the Muay Thai stance being more open.. Doesn't feel the same not being able to turn your shoulder into it.
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 am

MT is a lot different then boxing and MMA
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby batangastig » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 pm

You should be versatile with your jabs so I wouldn't recommend being one type or another. I'm a southpaw though and I like to stick my jab in the guy's face, and catch and shoot. I'm short for my weight class so i like using this technique cuz it helps me with finding my range, and it helps me neutralize my opponent's lead hand. You have to be careful though, I've been warned multiple times amateur boxing fight cuz the ref said i was pushing.
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JonB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 am

The first two.

I have a long reach (About 74"), so I use it as a range finder, a counter strike (Especially for aggressive people trying to come in), and to set up combos. I'm trying to apply a lot of Dutch Kickboxing concepts to my striking, so I usually start combos with it (Or a hook).

Aggressive opponent comes in
Hard Jab (Or hard jab, cross to really push them away)
Opponent retreats
Low kick on the way out
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby UchiMata » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 am

At 5' 6, I'm not a very tall guy at all. So the distance game isn't really my thing when it comes to boxing. I usually use my jab as a distance closer so I can get on the inside and start working my hooks, bodyshots, and uppercuts. If I can though, I'll use it as a range finder or a power jab just to land something.
UchiMata
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby BerzerkerJr » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Stiff mostly, but also so I can get my reach set up.
BerzerkerJr
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby LiamHillen » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:18 am

Open with a left jab . . finish with an overhand right , its worked for my last three fights
[size=200][color=#00FF00]
LiamHillen
Baby Caveman

Next

Return to Stand Up